Poll Time! All Things Harry Potter

Steven Frye is not a name I recognize; Jim Dale read the American version, and is absolutely brilliant at it.

2 Likes

It was meant to be a rhetorical question rather you suggesting I have no clue. :joy:

3 Likes

Ok, that’s what I thought you meant, just it sounded like there was some other aspect that made it even more mind blowing. Not to diminish the mind-blowingness!

1 Like

Whatever, Jeff.

It was a big deal to me.

But whatever.

:roll_eyes:

:wink:

6 Likes

Lee Pace. He’s awesome!

1 Like

US are probably more familiar with his bestie Hugh Laurie.

Together they were Fry and Laurie and utterly brilliant!!

9 Likes

That’s the one!! Thank you! :+1:t2::blue_heart:

1 Like

I was suggesting that I have no clue why you didn’t know that.

1 Like

OH! I get why I wasn’t understanding.

When you said, “for them” I thought you meant Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc. But you meant for DH and your Aunt. Meaning they read it when they were on the beach. So it originally sounded like you just said the same thing twice with no difference. Makes sense now. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

:laughing:
OK you’re forgiven.

2 Likes

Is it not possible to put it in both?

Also yay!!! This makes me so happy :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, I know! I decided to reinterpret what you said for added humor.

2 Likes

I can’t pick a favorite book or a movie, I’ve read/watched them multiple times, too many to know/count. I will say the book’s version of the disposal of the Elder wand makes much more sense than the piss poor way Harry dealt w/ that wand in the movies. Our family complains about it every time we watch that film.

6 Likes

Harry Potter has such a special place in my heart! My DD30 brought home a paperback from school one day. Read the whole thing that night, tells me in the morning “mom, I know this is a kids book but you should read it. I really think you would like it” It was the 1st book. A few months later the second one came out. This was still before it got crazy popular. We put together our own costume for DD to be Hermione. By the 4th book we were buying 2 copies so we could stay up all night and read together. Those are some of my most precious memories with her. :heart:

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book and movie. I love the involvement of all the kids helping in Order of the Phoenix. And Deathly Hallows is great because I always knew there was more to Snape than we knew. Sorcerers Stone is just lovely as well. I love them all!

13 Likes

The day that book came out we were going on holiday a 7 hour journey away. I had to run to the supermarket at 7am to get it before we set off, and spent the whole journey reading it and quietly sobbing.

6 Likes

I kind of resisted reading them initially…but since I was working on writing a Middle Grade novel myself, I knew I had to read them. This was about when Goblet of Fire was the most recent. I fell in love with them immediately.

Eventually my kids read them and fell in love as well. My wife was the holdout. But when Deathly Hallows came out, she decided it was time to read them. It took me 11 days to read Deathly Hallows (being a slow reader with limited time to read). My wife read all 6 previous books in that time and then finished Deathly Hallows in a day. She became a fan as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think Deathly Hallows Part I is the most underrated film. There are so many cool parts like the wedding, breaking into the ministry, obtaining the Sword of Gryffindor, and the incident at Malfoy Manor. And for some reason, one of my favorite scenes is when Harry and Hermione dance in the tent. It just has a vibe of teenagehood that resonates with me.

3 Likes

Did you dance in tents frequently as a teenager?

3 Likes

No but it’s the awkwardness of being with someone and not knowing if you like them or if they like you or if it’s just friendship, and if so how do you act with each other, and is it ok to just have a little fun in a moment of trauma? Harry + Hermione is one of the most intriguing friendships in the series. I don’t think it’s romantic, but that the potential is there makes it more interesting.

1 Like

No!! That’s an absolutely awful scene. They should have cut that out and included a bit more of the actual book.

4 Likes