Planning Paralysis

Good discussion! I LOVE making a spreadsheet - my family thinks I’m nuts. I will say, though, that my spreadsheet is all about “flexibility within structure.” I like to have maybe one ADR each day so I have something that I know is happening. It gives me direction and keeps me from doing the “what should I do now” dance. I also like to make sure I don’t miss any opportunities - parades, shows, early entry, parties - because I wasn’t ready for it.

For our upcoming Disneyland trip, for example, I know which park we are going to early on the first two days, I have a Fantasmic! dining package reserved, and we’re having afternoon tea at Steakhouse 55. The third day is totally empty at this point. We’ll ride what we want and get FPs for what sounds fun. I know if I didn’t plan I would have missed out on those extras (like the Paint the Night reception, which is already sold out on our nights because I didn’t jump on it).

We don’t always splurge on the extras, but it sure is nice to know we have a spot to eat and view something before we start.

That’s my two cents!

2 Likes

Our first trip DD was 5 and we didn’t get hoppers. Hopefully next trip will be when she’s 7 and I think we would give hoppers a try. I like the idea of the flexibility. Once we know how much we would use them it would help us decide whether to get them in the future.

I do get the planning paralysis but once I finally make the decision (resort, park hoppers), I try to leave it alone and move forward with the new things that are difficult for me to come to a decision on (which park which day and then which TS and then which FP+…)

No spreadsheet here. But I do use the touring plans on here for parts of my park days. The rest is flexible. Most spreadsheets drive me nuts to look at and I’m a pretty organized person.

And I wouldn’t do the hoppers with kids. It’s just too much work changing parks with them.