Planning for expenses at checkout

I purchased my vacation package directly through Disney. What additional expenses do I need to plan on paying upon checkout? I know parking fees, if applicable. What other fees/taxes? I don’t want to be surprised.

Only parking fees and any expenses charged to your magic band. There will be a $100 hold applied to your credit card on check in day.

1 Like

So I’ve already payed all the room and ticket taxes? I only remember seeing “subtotals”, so it gets confusing.

If you have a room only reservation your balance will be charged on check in day. If you have a package, you are paid in full 30 days before your stay. Taxes and fees are always included in those payments.

1 Like

Anyone have any idea how to calculate taxes since Disney doesn’t include them in the total for a room-only reservation? I’m watching a DFB video about hidden costs, and this is the first I’ve heard of the Orange County Accommodation tax, Orange County Tourist Development tax, or the Florida State Accommodation tax. Since I’m budgeting for every cent of my vacation, I’m concerned I haven’t saved enough.

(And I’m pretty annoyed. I think these things should be included in the statement presented on the website.)

2 Likes

Looking at my room only reservation confirmation. Taxes are included. I had to pay the balance upfront, so it’s paid in full. Tax comes out to 12.5%.

These are different taxes. The Orange County Accommodation tax is 3%, the Orange County Tourist Development tax is 6%, and the Florida State Accommodation tax is another 6%. I did the calculations, and these taxes come out to more than the amount I was taxed with my room-only reservation confirmation. This is why I’m, well, freaking out a little.

This is the disclaimer on my reservation. Although, I’ve never had a hotel charge above and beyond at check-in. Wouldn’t put it past WDW these days, but I will throw a fit. (Not enough of a fit to get banned for life, though.) :laughing:

If you don’t mind me asking, what hotel are you staying at? Not all of Disney’s hotels are in Orange county. Some are in Osceola county. I would call the hotel front desk and ask.

If I remember correctly, at some point Pop (I think it was Pop) had a different tax rate than the other resorts because it is in a different county.

I don’t mind at all. I’m staying one night at the Pop, which, according to the DFB video that has me freaking out, will add about $34 to my bill the next morning. Then I’ve got 7 nights at the Boardwalk Inn. The rates per night vary from $478/nt to 600/nt during my stay. So a little more than $34/nt for that one. clutching heart

I have to say, this is the first time I’ve ever thought using a travel agent would have been wise.

Pop is in Osceola I think, but Boardwalk is Orange.
I would try calling them. The phone number is hyperlinked in MDE if you click on your reservation – there’s a button to Call Resort Hotel. You should get the front desk.

By the time I have added my resort to my cart on the website it has always included the tax. I have never had an additional charge .

I honestly thing DFB is going out of their way to pretend there is an issue.

1 Like

DFB has been very click baity lately.

2 Likes

Avery on the phone said that I’ll only be charged for parking, which was an expense I expected and for which I had accounted. So if I get socked with an Orange County anything fee at the conclusion of my time in the bubble, I will be one unhappy broad. I do not need any more heart attacks!

I used to avoid DFB videos because the narration drives me up the wall (and they take 14 minutes to tell two statistics). I started watching because I have read everything I can get my hands on (twice) and YouTube has soooooo much Disney stuff to occupy my brain. Now I’ll permanently block DFB suggestions on YouTube.

At this point, I need a vacation from planning my vacation.

3 Likes

They are cross posting on AllEars too- so ignore that too. (The limited AP story showed up on AllEars)

Despite DFB’s click baity-ness, I still love watching their videos for three reasons:

1. I just love AJ’s voice. It is very personable and soothing (most of the time).
  2. I love to see all the videos playing in the background while she speaks, even though 95% of them having absolutely nothing to with what she is speaking about. But it makes me feel “connected” to the parks.
  3. Most of the time, the videos come across as positive, even if they are discussing something negative. It is refreshing at times to just see things from a positive angle even when I know it isn’t as positive as it sounds.

Now, having said that…

1. The videos far too often rehash the same things over and over again. I suppose this is because they are expecting fresh blood to keep coming, rather than folks like myself who already knows 90% of what they are presenting before they present it.
  2. Sometimes the videos get things wrong…seemingly intentionally. Like, presenting tips based on “the old way” of doing things, but isn’t necessarily current, or assuming things will return to the old way, etc.

Regardless…for me, DFBGuide gives me a bit of my Disney fix, so I don’t see myself stop watching them any time soon.

3 Likes

I agree. I tend to turn them on while I do other things and just kind of be aware. I like the food and restaurant reviews, not because I always agree with their recommendations, but because I feel like they give me enough info to judge for myself if it will work for me and my family. My kids like watching the random video montages while she talks.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure DFB owns All-Ears, so this makes sense.

Both will mostly say all the things to make Disney happy so that they continue to get access, but this comes at our expense.

2 Likes

Yep, DFB bought All Ears when Deb Wills retired.

I used to love all the All Ears resort and room tour videos, but as they get refurbed etc they’re out of date. Sadly no one seems to be able to do room tours like Jack Spence did. I actually liked that there was no narration, just a slow, smooth and comprehensive video.

2 Likes