Planning and husband

Paper FP. I remember when I was the runner. Miss those days.

5 Likes

Me too. We could do soooooo much more!

3 Likes

Yeah paper fast passes were great. Did a ton of criss crossing the parks. And learned a lot of short cuts. So manu times we would be ready to go on splash and decide space would be next fp and run for it.

Also it was a great way to spread a little magic with a fp you did not want afterall.

3 Likes

I love to plan, I love to countdown. Even when the number is large, I love keeping up with what’s coming, what’s new and to research what we’ll be doing next. Planning is half (sometimes more) of the fun because it lasts so much longer. And yes, sometimes plans go out the window, but having done all the research ahead of time, you can wing it, educated-style. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It is so funny. My husband thought I lost my mind with my Disney group and my “imaginary friends”. Our first trip was perfect and he could tell that my knowledge was worth the time I spent planning and chatting. Each trip kept getting better and better. Then it happened…we started meeting liners in the park. He could tell it was an awesome group. Now he expects liner meets…some of our lifelong friends were made through Lines.

7 Likes

My first trip was almost 25 years ago and my wife did all the planning, including getting up early every day for a week to make ADRs. I had no idea why she was spending as much time as she did.

Now I know :slight_smile: She did a wonderful job :slight_smile: As a 40ish first-timer, I had a truly magical time, and the kids loved it.

It is well worth the effort, even though I do a lot of the planning nowadays LOL

6 Likes

My DH was the one who purchased my first unofficial guide, he didn’t realize at the time what he created. He wasn’t sure what to think about all of this till we were in the park the first trip I had Lines. He has been a firm believer ever since! Now he just tells me where he wants to eat and I plan everything else. Your DH will get there and I’m sure you will have a great trip and all of your hard work and planning with pay off!

7 Likes

I First found out about Touring Plans and Lines before our 2014 trip. Prior to that DW and I had not been since 2007. When we first looked into that trip I thought FPP was something we were going to have to pay extra for. My original thinking was this trip wouldn’t be much different than the last but after lurking and reading all of the useful information everyday I was so glad to have found you guys! Everyday I was telling my DW about new info or asking her opinion about FPP or where to eat. By the time our trip came she was getting annoyed and tired of hearing about it. But about half way through that trip she told me how happy she was that I had planned so much. Now she still doesn’t want to talk about it all the time but she gets excited to hear about what’s new and trusts the planning will make each trip great!

8 Likes

Agree 100 percent with @ElastiGirl73.

3 Likes

OK, liners, which of you has wire-tapped my house? I am laughing out loud. Even my non-planner husband fines this so funny, because it is so like us. Plan on, all of us planners.

8 Likes

to VJB.
Please ask Husband to commit to two things,

One, getting up early to beat 85% of the visitors to the park at Rope Drop (Park Opening time). You want to be parking the car or stepping on the bus ONE HOUR before the park opens. many first timers do not know you have to cross a parking lot TRAM, or a Mono-rail, or a Ferry Boat BEFORE stepping onto the park. Then, you must also pass through a security checkpoint that pokes into every bag looking for glass bottles or anything dangerous.

Two, we will follow your tour plan on the first day. When Most people see how well a touring plan works. They can’t wait to do it the next day

If he will commit to those two, you will have a lot easier time in the world.

beg, bargin, bribe, but get him to commit.

5 Likes

Another member of “Planners Anonymous” here. Or perhaps we should be “Planners Unanimous,” as there are so many of us.

My DH definitely appreciated my planning during our first trip after I discovered Touring Plans. It was during an exceptionally busy spring/Easter break which had huge crowds and closures. But we dealt with it and he named it the " best vacation ever. "

I think I dropped the ball a bit on our most recent trip. I planned short-ish days and several meals I thought he would really like. But apparently DH was DONE after Day 5 of 7. So I think it is really important to get more input from your fellow travelers.

But I will plan our future vacations with just as much enthusiasm. And create a beautifully organized trip file, with documents and touring plans placed by “needed” order in their sheet protectors. :smile:

7 Likes

My husband thinks my Disney planning obsession is pretty nutty too! However, from experience, he knows how a plan makes our Disney vacation go more smoothly. The last time we went was during the Anna and Elsa M&G heyday. We had friends who waited over 3 hours to see the Frozen princess. When we went, the wait was about 30 mins because I had booked FP+ at midnight on Day 60. Planning also got us on Mine Train with minimal wait. Once my husband saw some of the standby lines he was a believer.

5 Likes

They were great, but I do like having my plans set ahead of time instead of having to adjust to the time I was able to get the FP. It helps me to relax and enjoy WDW, not just my family.

2 Likes

It was nice not having to decide what park you were going to go to 30-60 days in advance. With paper FP I was there at rope drop so I felt I had advantage over people who wanted to get there later.

3 Likes

Yes, I must admit that there is some kind of obsessive joy I get out of the planning. I listen to loads of podcasts while I walk my dog, making mental notes about things to look up on the computer when my ‘tour planning time’ allows me to immerse myself fully. And when I’m doing housework, I play Disney themed music (park music to movie music, etc) to make me feel all magical :slight_smile: I find this on youtube, and create long lists. It know it helps get the housework done ! BUT, I do spend a bit too much time searching and watching blogs, vlogs, and videos on youtube of peoples trip reports etc. I get so caught up in it all. I have showed hubby some of the replies on here. He has had a laugh at the fact that there is actually more than one of me living this Disney life. When I say goodbye to my daughters and hubby in the mornings, I actually say “Have a Happy Disney Day” hahahah… My plane better not crash on the way over… everything will be ruined.

5 Likes

So funny, whenever I flew to Disney I always said if plane was going to crash, let it be on return trip.

4 Likes

Please be sure to give the ‘planners’ credit during or after your holiday. we spend many hours to get thing just right.

Our last visit we were a group of 6. On the second day at MK we came to a slow time in the tour plan. My mother insisted we go on Jungle Cruise. (50 minute wait) After the ride I was a bit furious when she said “well, except for this ride we have been pretty LUCKY and not had to wait long”
I was a little sharp with her and said that LUCK had nothing to do with it. And reminded her that I spent Many hours planning everything, so that all ran smooth.
She realized what she said and apologised.

5 Likes

My husband’s most used reply “are you talking about Disney again?” As I will throw in a comment or question about our trip that is more than 6 months away in to every single conversation at random times, because it is ALWAYS on my mind no matter what we are doing.
I LOVE the obsessing, I think it is part of the fun of a disney trip :smile:
He, nor my parents who travel with us, get it, but they do enjoy the perks that my obsessive planning allow us.

5 Likes

Ditto ditto what everyone’s saying. I planned like crazy for our first trip and during it, my husband said on more than one occasion not only that I did a fantastic job, but that he needs to just let me plan everything! This group/resource is fantastic. Yes, a little nuts but it’s all about making good memories. And yes, just get people on board about RD and they’ll all be thankful they did.

5 Likes