Planners vs. Booking trips after 180 days?

In my earlier post I stated the I finally had to book my ADR’s 180 days out via phone because of web site problems. In talking to the CM on the phone about booking for BOG during this period, I was told that BOG was not yet excepting ADR’s for August and they had not been informed as of yet when they would be accepting ADR’s. This of coarse was a 180 days out for me, so my 10 day advantage was worthless when it came to getting a ADR for BOG ahead of those 180 days plus. On the Dinning Reservation site it did not explain they were not taking ADR’s for that time period but rather that they were unavailable as in being booked. Of coarse they are not booked and will become available sometime in the future. When is the big question and how to nab one before they are all gone. Personally I have decided they can keep BOG because I don’t think their all that wonderful in the first place. :rage:

I’ve gone with long lead times, and short lead times; probably more of the latter. I’m definitely a “planner” with charts, spreadsheets, etc., but about the only thing I do much before the 180 is make a resort reservation. Shortly before the 180 I’ll rough out a “which park which day” schedule and decide on my ADRs. Any TP made more than 60 days out is “practice” at best; I don’t get really serious about them until I’m within a month, and they sometimes change the night before. Unless you heart is set on one of the “really hard to get” ADRs, 60 days is probably all you really need to plan a successful trip.

2 Likes

We have been to WDW 4 times since 2009. Only one of our trips have been planned prior to the 180 day mark.

Our first trip planned in January and went in March. It really helped that is was a recession because I got every reservation and for the most part at a time I wanted, included a prerope drop CRT for our first day!

Second trip was planned at probably 4 months out, since we tagged along to my DH work trip to Orlando. Still got what we wanted and searching. Again got CRT before rope drop on our first day.

Third trip was also in the 4 month range, again a work trip for DH. Didn’t get everything we wanted but it worked out to do different restaurants and was still a great trip.

Our last trip was planned at 7 months out as a possible trip so I booked all our ADRs at 180+. This allowed me to get so many ADRs that I went crazy. We ended up having too many ADRs because I didn’t want to drop anything. It was crazy!

I just planned a trip for my Dad is 40 days time and he got most of what he wanted at the time he wanted. He was off site so only could do 30 day fastpasses anyway.

I think having a plan at greater than 180 is nice but a great but shorter notice can work also and make a great trip.

Even when I didn’t book my trips far in advance I still planned prior and made touring plans prior to coming to the park. WDW is too big to just go with the flow.