Pirates reboot

I have absolutely no problem with my children dressing up as bad guys, but I will say that it does make me sad everytime Disney feels like it has to PC something. I feel like it takes away a little bit of the magic every time.

3 Likes

We all know why Disney is doing what it’s doing to Pirates of the Carribean. In this day and age depiction that used to be allowed is now being relooked at and examined for various sensibilities. The movies are not about real pirates but rather comedy type pirates. I don’t think most people know what a pirate really is. There were good one’s and bad one’s depending on what country you were for and if you even believed that most countries weren’t using piracy themselves. Robin Hood is basically a pirate and few really know if he was indeed what he is portrayed to be. We just got back from WDW and my wife noticed they don’t state their is room for one more in the Haunted Mansion anymore. Are people taking the ride seriously and dumping their asses in the Haunted Mansion? Some rides have to be tweaked in this day and age but I say Lighten up. Disney is good fun and NOT a history lesion for us or our children and it was never meant to be. My two cents :thinking:

2 Likes

That has changed since 2/24 then because it clearly said that in the narration.

Shall we discuss the way they have changed so. many. fairy tales to make them child friendly?? Cinderella and The Little Mermaid come to mind immediately…

2 Likes

Quite frankly I don’t give a crap about the political or historical “correctness” of the ride. I’m upset because this is the last ride in which Walt was directly involved with the design and planning, and I wish they would just leave it alone in honor of him

3 Likes

I approve of the change. The auction depicted human trafficking. I don’t need to see that at Disney.

3 Likes

And to go along with that, don’t forget, Disney “PC’d” the original dark Grimm (and others) tales as well.

EDIT: Man I must’ve been out of it. That is exactly what you said, isn’t it? Sorry. :blush:

1 Like

Yup.

Kind of funny. When the Great Movie Ride went down for good I did here crap on that and it was an original ride. Also while we are at it I kind of liked it when the Alien came down from the ceiling and it’s teeth snapped closed almost in front of your face. That was taken away and he stayed up in the ceiling. Moot point now. Remember when the stairs in the Haunted Mansion actually moved back and forth. Stopped that now. Who did that offend? Ellen’s gone and I couldn’t care less about her but I did love the Dinosaurs. Fast track has changed how many times? Like the new one though. Oh yes! and who didn’t like Fire, action and all the blow up stuff or the backlot. Times are changing and some for the better and some not so good. Toyland. Not a fan but definitely for the kids. Star Wars and a whole new village. Again not a fan but many are so I guess this is going to be a hit with most. Love Pandora as I am an Avatar fan. FoP. What can one say? Wow! Pirates losing a few questionable scenes. Ok but what happened to the Pariot outdoors? That’s right, he’s indoors now on the overpass. Must have been to wet outside. :roll_eyes:

I get what you’re saying, but on the flip side, it can do some good. For example, the female characters in kids’ movies tend to be stronger, more independent, and more assertive these days. Having a damsel in distress as the main character is definitely not PC. It warms my heart to see how many girls are playing at being superheros rather than damsels in distress these days!

1 Like

True, but my complaint comes in when Disney tries to PC Disney itself. Disney’s version of those stories has always been the same. Even if they did change them drastically from how they were originally written.

1 Like

People do regularly try to scatter ashes in HM.

Ew!! Really?

in my opinion, changing a ride only to be politically correct, and not to improve the actual ride, is nonsense. If they are going to make the ride better, change the route, or update it to be more exciting, im all for it.

1 Like

Yep!