Pin trading for kids

The huge pin store in DS can be misleading because there are pins on lanyards that are not for trading. But, they have a mystery box that they stock with some good ones. You have to spin a dial to see which box you get. DD loved it, but you have to time it right.

1 Like

Oh, the mystery box sounds fun. Thanks for the tip.

They do not always have it open, in which case that store is a bust for trading. Some panels are way better than others, so if one of you gets a bad panel, another can still spin for a different panel. Up to 2 trades per turn.

2 Likes

I just reread your post. Some of our kids have used lanyards, some have not. Some haven’t liked having the thing around their neck.

Our youngest granddaughter would pick one pin to wear on her collar and a couple of pins to trade that she kept in her waist pack. She kept most of her pins at the resort because she wanted to keep most of her pins.

My sister’s granddaughter has lost pins from her lanyard but has usually noticed their disappearance quickly enough to locate the pin.

We’ve had kids that have just not traded. And kids that wouldn’t pass a CM with a lanyard.

It does take up time tho we have some good memories of trades. The longest process is deciding which pin and its always ok to say thanks for showing me your pins and moving on.

1 Like

We encouraged my very shy DD to start pin trading when she was 8 or 9 by making her ask to see cast members pins. She absolutely loves pin trading and looks forward to it on every trip. She is now 16, and is gathering pins she (on her own) will trade with cast members. We have pins in a book and on display. And we get pins on eBay to trade with, we try to have real pins. But my daughter knows that if she trades for a pin she likes with at CM it is probably a fake. If she likes the pin it does not matter.

We also purchase a few pins as mementos from our trips, it is a less expensive way to recall things like when we stayed at Boardwalk, or rode SDD.

3 Likes

Which seller(s) on ebay do you like for real Disney pins?

I just bought some from bizzybee1 before. We liked the fact that the pins came on the cardboard or in bags that you can get in the stores at Disney. You can probably get them from other sellers as well.