Picking a point amount

In terms of BLT I was going by (admittedly slightly dated) comments about waiting to buy direct. Even in the listings there seem to be fewer. It’s funny that while it’s clearly a better financial option to buy resale I keep looking for ways that buying direct makes sense (clearly Disney marketing has done its job well)! Alas, the nearly $100/point difference now is just too much. I’d rather have more time to vacation than access to the owner’s lounge.

2 Likes

We were first time buyers so that may have something to so with it.

We probably would not have gone with BLT direct anyway due to the price. I just find it amusing that direct sales definitely helped us decide to go resale.

The resale market had plenty of 160 point contracts with February UYs which is what was best for us. Our first offer was bought back in early Dec 2019 (it was a stripped contract at very low price per point so not surprising). We then decided that we wanted a contract with points and all the Feb UYs were devoid of 2019 and 2020 points so ended up going with a 160 point Dec UY. While not the ideal UY, it’s still the exact Home Resort and size contract we wanted with a UY that works well for our main travel time (May).

1 Like

Question related to this. So BR contracts end in 2042 or something like that, right? If you buy resale you’re buying that 20-ish year term. If you were to buy direct, does that term extend to a 40- or 50- year term?

My understanding is that all units at a particular resort are kept with the same end year, except a few exceptions (like OKW I think) where they have extended the end date for certain contracts but not all. So unless you were buying one of those exceptions, you would get the same end date for either direct or resale.

Would make sense as to why there are few ROFRs, then. Seems like it would be hard for Disney to sell 20 year terms at twice the price.

Yes, they keep their end date regardless of direct or resale. Direct OKW is the extended (2057). If you are interested in OKW, the extensions for about $156 a point, although expensive, is a “cheaper” direct purchase.

1 Like

They do often buy back BW with that same expiration. Although BW has a location advantage.

I actually think CC might impact BR ROFR?

156/pt direct? that’s not bad actually

i need a second okw contract

1 Like

This was the list I found:

1 Like

Of course I have to try to avoid thinking about the fact that right now it’s running in the high 80s-low 90s… so about half the cost of direct

At least 15 years less points?

1 Like

Good point

BC with 2042 expiration gets bought back too.

I think that may have something to do with BR buybacks too. They were still selling CC direct when we went in May 2019. There also aren’t that many BR contracts on the resale market.