Phase 2 of VGF declared

I have no idea. I hope that isn’t the future of DVC. I’m also really salty that this has happened when BR was supposed to be refurbed literally years ago now and there hasn’t been a peep about it.

2 Likes

I’m sure there are people who would prefer these to a studio. That’s what I meant when I said they will appeal to a different demographic.

One of the selling points of DVC was always pre-pay for your room. So this will appeal to people who like hotel rooms and want to pre-pay for it for years to come.

I do know people who say they dislike having a sofa in their room. And the original DVC studios (at OKW) have two queen beds instead.

I agree having the 2 real beds is nice, but the lack of kitchenette is a big blow. Also the current studio bathrooms are so luxurious that if I was a current owner and got stuck with one of those rooms I would see it as a downgrade in the value of my room.

See I disagree, with the advent of the excellent Murphy beds they are installing everywhere. That offers the opportunity to have the best of both. It’s such a drag when the only place to lounge in your room is on your bed. I like having the couch by day and the murphy bed by night. And they are comfortable too!

2 Likes

Wait. I think I missed something. Is this not going to be a bookable category???

It is, but VGF studios are already hard to book. Now you’ll have a lot more points fighting for those same studios. Kinda like at Poly and CC where there is a gigantic pool of points bc of the stupid expensive cabins/bungalows. Now a large subset of points will be added solely bc of those studios, yet they don’t have to be used in them exclusively. So if I was an original owner and it was already hard to book a studio I’d be really pissed that more likely the available option will be those new rooms simply bc they make up a larger portion of the available studios.

1 Like

Good point.

Yes, I did. Shut up.

4 Likes

:rofl: I don’t know why that pops up sometimes.

1 Like

This is us. We own at GF and I’m not pleased. I would never want to spend GF points on those rooms and I’m worried the rooms we do want will be that much harder to book.

The only upside is I may be able to spin this to tell DH that I have to book a 1 bed every time now and that’s why we need more points.

3 Likes

And so you have fallen right into their trap

3 Likes

Yes. Yes I have. It’s too late for me. I’d tell you to save yourselves but I’m pretty sure it’s too late for anyone on this thread.

2 Likes

There is the possibility the opposite could be true. If this bookable category is cheaper, I suspect those rooms will go faster, leaving the more expensive studios to be available longer. (Since people tend to gravitate toward the cheapest option.) Not sure if it is known yet if the hotel rooms will be fewer points, but it seems like they would be.

Also a good point. You can’t get AKL Value rooms even if you’re an owner over there because people are points savers

I wouldn’t want this though.

2 Likes

So if I want to rent points to stay at GF (wife loves it), does this mean more points available to rent? Just likely less chance we can get a more desirable lake view deluxe studio?

2 Likes

Yes, until all the new points are sold, there will be more bookable rooms for owners.

Not necessarily. Typically the more expensive categories are easier to book. Whether booking lake view is easier or harder will depend on whether the new category is more or less points per room/night than the existing categories.

I thought someone posted they will be the same points, just different categories. Similar to OKW with studio and studio - near hospitality house.

2 Likes

Got it. So I guess it will come down to whether more people like the two beds vs. the kitchenette. Personally beds are more important to me, but I could see why a kitchenette would be important to some people!

1 Like

I think the views are similar as well, with maybe a better view of magic kingdom from the end units, but not sure I’d pay up for that.

1 Like

Oh so that definitely should NOT be the case. Absolutely should not

3 Likes

To me it’s the space, and the ability to lounge on a couch when I don’t need a bed, whether it’s stored away (murphy bed) and i’m traveling with more people, or if i’m traveling solo or with DH. I prefer space over any of that (though I do like the kitchenette)

1 Like