Paying for plastic bags?

I have my doubts they will do this. Unlike everything else, Disney isn’t really doing this to make money. It is an environmental decision. I think the price point is low just to offset their costs for these bags.

1 Like

a cast member we spoke with indicated that the bags are being sold “at cost” as to not be a profit maker…hopefully that is true and the prices hold

3 Likes

I hope you’re right. Call me cynical but they can make changes for environmental reasons and still decide to make money out of it.

2 Likes

Okay, misscynical.

:slight_smile:

It is actually a fairly big transition happening all over in the United States. More and more stores (grocery stores in particular) are shifting away from providing free bags, etc. As a country, we’ve traditionally favored convenience, but plastic shopping bags are a huge polluter.

I do believe Disney is doing this without profit in mind. However, I also think it ultimately SAVES them money, because they are charging the cost of the bags, rather than giving away plastic bags. (Not exactly giving away, given the price of things…but they are un-recouped costs unlike these new reusable bags.)

The Disney store has been selling the $2 bags for quite some time (as in years) and I haven’t noticed a price increase. They do switch out the decor on the outside of the bag to promote the latest movies coming out.

1 Like

That’s the souvenir I want most because I can use it regularly!

2 Likes

We have to buy plastic bags over here too but retailers have to give all the money from them to charity. I’ve noticed that they are hidden away now in a lot of supermarkets, and if you ask for a bag they will happily point you to the more expensive reusable ones that they can keep the profits on.

1 Like

Good to know.

Animal Kingdom has also been selling the reusable bags for at least 10 years now. They are green with the Mickey tree on them. I bought 3 or 4 each time in 2008 and 2010 for inexpensive souvenirs. They were my grocery shopping bags for a long time! I still have a couple kicking around.

2 Likes

Looks like someone beat me to the answer! The medium bags are typical reusable grocery size. That’s what I bought

No closure on any of them. They are almost identical to the reusable bags my grocery store sells except they are decorated Disney. Makes me smile.

1 Like

Oh :neutral_face:

So no good in the rain, then?

I’m kind of a fanatic about reusable bags, and Lord knows I’ve got a ton of them, all of them were just swag from this or that. (As long as DH still gathers the plastic ones for kitty litter disposal, of course). If I’m not carrying a bag, I also usually have a big bandanna I can tie up into a bag.

I really like big bandannas, they’re very useful. Maybe not as useful as a towel for hitchhiking the galaxy, but pretty good for traveling the world. :wink:

5 Likes

Hmm. I’d go with no. You could hold it over your shoulder and squeeze the top shut with your arm. But I’d be inclined to use my trusty back pack with a poncho tucked over it.

1 Like

I was thinking that as I was reading.

1 Like

I was there last week and they offered to sell me the reusable bags. When I declined they put the items in the plastic bag without any additional charge.

I think no one offers free plastic bags anymore.

Good. I’m not paying anyone at any time for a bag. I will legit put the merch back on the shelf. Thankfully, I don’t buy much merch when I’m in the World because I buy so often from ShopDisney. Don’t get me wrong, I will buy a reusable bag for swag, but not because the store is making me.

We have something similar to this (not this brand, but it is close):

Foldable Reusable Grocery Bags Folding Shopping Tote Bag Fits in Pocket Eco Friendly Cloth Bags for Groceries Recycle Bags Water Resistant Lightweight Strong & Durable Grocery Bags Large(6Pack) https://a.co/d/8LaagDv

When we go into the parks, I just keep one in my pocket or wherever so we can pull it out if needed.

Interestingly, in December we were given plastic bags without issue, and don’t even recall them offering us the upcharge reusable bags (although they were proudly displayed near the registers). So I am not sure they are really putting much effort into making people pay for bags.

I’m one of those people who refuses to scan and bag my own groceries. It’s a bridge too far. We’ve accepted so much as consumers that companies keep pushing to see what they can get away with. Oftentimes, I see people bagging their own groceries while the cashier is busy scanning the items. I refuse to do it. If they don’t have enough people to bag, the cashier can do it when he/she is done on the register.

And I have never been a fan of self-scan. With some of the stories I’ve heard this year, I will avoid them at all costs. I hired two people this year with theft on their background check. In both cases, they were charged with shoplifting due to not scanning an item in the self-checkout. One person said he had over $300 worth of groceries and neglected to scan a $10 bag of fish. He said it was completely innocent and just an oversight. I believe him. So, not only do they want us to scan and bag our own groceries, but if we make a mistake we catch a case. I think it’s a racket.

1 Like