Park Touring and the Genie+ & ILL option

Updated G+ Priorities in audio/visual form instead of a blog.

9 Likes

4 Likes

On our trip last week we typically took that approach. 7AM grabbed something high priority we wanted at our first park - hoped we could time it right that we still wanted to be in the park by then. At first opportunity to grab another we typically went for something in that park we could use soon that we wanted. After we exhausted those we would start stacking for our evening park. Sometimes this took some patience as often there were a lot of rides we wanted but the time slots were still too early for when we wanted to be back in the park. As a result spent some time checking back to see if things had moved enough that was in our zone.

For example, last Saturday we did HS in the morning - grabbed MMRR at 7AM and then snagged a Star Tours prior to lunch at Sci-Fi. Over lunch grabbed a Jungle Cruise for MK as that was the only one available after 7 to allow us to eat at Ohana at 6. Eventually snagged a Splash late and then was able to fill in with Haunted and Winnie the Pooh.

It would be so much easier if you could pick a rough time you wanted to do the ride like we used to be able to do with FP+. It appeared that Rise of the Resistance let you do that somewhat, but that was the only ILL we bought during the week.

4 Likes

There was a question asked in the last article about when TouringPlans will be able to forecast LL return times in a touring plan. See Becky’s response. Example:

2 Likes

This article made my blood boil for how naive it is. Can anyone with a straight face honestly say they would choose It’s Tough to be a Bug or Muppet Vision as their first LL choice of the day?

The article reads as intentionally making the “Use It or Lose It” team look bad. This test was so badly designed that we can’t conclude anything whether stacking vs using works.

2 Likes

Lol! Yeah for the “Use it or Lose it Team” I don’t understand why the most high demand attractions are automatically ruled out from attaining at 7am. Yes, its harder to get an early return time. But why book the most low demand attraction, why not shoot for a mid. I get the point for the selections after the first. Its not realistic. :man_shrugging:

It definitely opened up a can of worms as far as readers wanting different comparisons with a hybrid plan etc. She found herself defending the article.

I think the question isn’t WHETHER to stack, but when to start. At 7am with the highest demand attraction, or sometime in the first 2 hours the park is open after booking a medium-demand attraction with an early return time?

3 Likes

I actually think that there are many people who would choose this option, if for no other reason than they don’t understand the system. We are traveling with a large party in November. Half of us are planners and are reading all of these articles and posts trying to formulate a strategy. The other half of the group is beyond clueless about how Genie+ works. I could absolutely see them just grabbing whichever LL is available next and going with it and then growing frustrated when they come to realize how long the standby lines have gotten while they were walking to and riding these rides that were mostly walk-ons in the morning.

I appreciated the article a lot. The only thing I wished is that there was a live test and that they detailed out what other rides they did in between LL selections.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for this. A lot of theory in these two posts, but it provides a framework to evaluate whether you should go for the stacking strategy, or the “tap & go” strategy.

They define “blackout” as the period of time where you can’t book another G+. (Time prior to park open doesn’t count). Their rule of thumb (they call it the Advanced Rule) is book the ride that will save you the most time per minute of blackout.

Example (times are for illustration only):
7AM Option A: Book SDD for 12pm return, with expected wait time savings (at 12pm) of 90 minutes.
7AM Option B: Book MFSR for 9:00am return, with expected wait time savings (at 900am) of 45 minutes.

Option A has 2 hours of blackout b/c it triggers the 120 minute rule.
Option B has 30 minutes of blackout (9:00 less 8:30 park open).

Option A “advanced rule ratio” = 90 / 120 = 0.75 minutes saved per minute of blackout
Option B “advanced rule ratio” = 45 / 30 = 1.5 minutes saved per minute of blackout

So Option B is better b/c it saves you a fair amount of time and still leaves you free to book again at 9:00am.

EDIT: as someone who works in the field, I can say that TP has some very sharp minds working on cracking the code on G+ … hope to see these analytics distilled into the touring plan tool in the future.

6 Likes

Follow up from Becky’s comment last week.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Will Remy, Space Mountain, Runaway Railway and Expedition Everest really revert to ILLs on August 8? What about Frozen? I can’t imagine there would be three ILLs in Epcot of all parks.

2 Likes

Welcome!

Still a mystery but most expect Disney to go back to 2 ILL’s per park.

1 Like

I’m positively sure they’ll revert back to ILL. Their website always listed them as ILL except for that asterisk (until August 7th…).

I also think people are getting too hang up on the “Disney would never do three ILLs in a park!” but I really don’t think this would prevent Disney from doing it. The majority of the guests don’t use park hoppers and the two ILL allowance is dead-in-the-water for them. Having at least two per park gives some utility back to ILL.

My guess is that Disney will always go for more money.

1 Like

I’m surprised they don’t have every ride that gets wait times of over 45 minutes on $ILL already. :stuck_out_tongue:

They can’t go for more money with 3 ILL in one park if they don’t allow us to book more than 2. You go for money when it is more per customer. That wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

If Remy and Frozen are both ILLs, then G+ at EP is basically an inconvenient ILL for TT, since nothing else really has unavoidable lines.

And EE is almost always available with return times within an hour, so I can’t imagine it was selling much as an ILL.

That said, given the lack of announcement, I assume everything reverts on August 8th.

It’s potentially more money if it gets people to buy 2. If there’s only 1 of 2 rides I would pay to ride, but they add a 3rd that I would be willing to pay for, there’s 2 instead of 1 from me. (But as someone who is going to try to stick to 2 $ILL total for our entire trip, this is purely hypothetical.)

They don’t really make money with you. But for people like me, who intend to buy ILL everyday for 10 days, probably 2 per day as of august 7th, they are losing money if they don’t allow 3 ILL buy when there are 3 rides you can buy in the same park.