Park Touring and the Genie+ & ILL option

4 Likes

Wow!! You had a great start of your day! That info was very helpful, thank you!

Thank you! Last time we were there (pre covid) we got to PotC about 30-45 minutes after park opening and it was a walk on. We were hoping to snag a fast pass for HM (after we used out first 3) but it didn’t happen. We ended up waiting an hour and a half for HM…and although the queue is good I am hoping to avoid that this time around!

I think it’s valid to try your strategy, especially at MK. A lot will depend on how early a return time you can get for PP. If you can get a 9:30AM return time you may be able to get and use a 2nd LL in time for the 1st drop. But if you get a 11AM return time for PP, you miss the drop. To give you a sense of how tight this, PP has a return time of <9:30AM 4/6 times over the last week per thrilldata when booking at 7:00AM, but at 7:01AM only 1/6 days had a return time of <9:30AM, and 3/6 days >11AM. Using Merlock will give you an edge here, not a guarantee - so my advice is have a backup plan.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a succinct summary of how the golden ticket LL works and what to look for / do if blessed with this?

2 Likes

If you get an Anytime pass from a LL attraction (or other situation, like being evacuated) due to the ride being down during your window, it makes it so you can use a regular LL for an eligible attraction any time, not just during the return window.

Example: You have a Test Track LL for 10:00am. At 9:50am, a thunderstorm starts and Disney shuts down TT. Your LL turns into an Anytime. For the sake of this example, the Anytime is eligible for all attractions in Epcot except Guardians (it will say at the bottom what rides it is eligible for - always check).

At 10:00am, you get a Remy LL for 7:00pm. However, you immediately go to Remy and tap in. The taps read that you have an Anytime Fastpass, so allows you in with a green light, but consume the Remy one, even though it is for 7:00pm. You can now get another LL and repeat the process all day.

Do not use the Anytime for an attraction for which you do not have a regular LL or it will be consumed.

18 Likes

I was so sad when we had to finally use ours for POTC. But we’d used it for everything else that we wanted (can’t use for meet and greets or certain rides at MK).

6 Likes

Thank you! Very helpful!

1 Like

Excellent explanation of the anytime pass. Best I’ve read so far. Thanks.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried to intentionally get an Anytime pass?

For example, you notice the first couple drops of rain and book a LL for an outdoor attraction with an immediate return time (say, Dumbo or Barnstormer), and wait for it to shut down.

1 Like

Wow!! I had no idea!! That would be amazing! Essentially allowing you to ride a TON of rides…book Genie + all day and use right away? I figured it would only allow the one time…

1 Like

That’s how it probably should work. But it’s a bug in the system.

Also, it simplifies things a lot, but you will eventually run out of rides that you can use it for - you are still limited to only one LL per attraction per day. And once you get down the list, the attractions at MK that take LL don’t always need it (like Mad Tea Party, The Little Mermaid, etc.).

It would be most useful if you could hop, but you would have to visit GS to transfer the Anytime to the new park, since it is only initially valid in the park you received it in.

Lastly, you can’t use it on any attractions it is not valid for, obviously. So for Guardians, in my example, you’d have to go during your actual return window.

So there are some limitations.

3 Likes

Hi all! T-minus 6 days until we’re in the World! I’ve read the top of the thread and tried to keep up with the last few weeks (months), but I’m still a little confused on a few things. We’re going to use Genie+ at Magic Kingdom. I don’t understand the return time, if we book our first LL at 7am and it’s a 5pm return for Jungle Cruise. Why wouldn’t I want that? Would I not be able to book any other LL before that 5pm return time?

And my second question is, I’ve seen some reports that people were able to have a morning LL and then as soon as they used that LL they could book the next one even though they hadn’t reached the 120 rule from park open. For example, the park opens at 9 and they rode their first LL and were able to book another even though it wasn’t 11am yet. I can’t figure that one out, hoping I’ve explained myself well enough. Thanks!

1 Like

That would be great. You could get another LL two hours after park open (9:00am + 2 = 11:00am) with a return time any time before or after your JC LL.

Getting an earlier return time is better because you don’t have to wait the two hours. But sometimes getting an afternoon / evening return time is the only way to get a LL for a high demand attraction. Sometimes it’s better to get a valuable LL for a later time than an immediate use one that you don’t need.

Using your LL (having a morning return time) supersedes the 2-hour rule. You don’t have to wait two hours if your return time is less than 2 hours from when you got it.

2 Likes

Updated G+ Priorities in audio/visual form instead of a blog.

9 Likes

4 Likes

On our trip last week we typically took that approach. 7AM grabbed something high priority we wanted at our first park - hoped we could time it right that we still wanted to be in the park by then. At first opportunity to grab another we typically went for something in that park we could use soon that we wanted. After we exhausted those we would start stacking for our evening park. Sometimes this took some patience as often there were a lot of rides we wanted but the time slots were still too early for when we wanted to be back in the park. As a result spent some time checking back to see if things had moved enough that was in our zone.

For example, last Saturday we did HS in the morning - grabbed MMRR at 7AM and then snagged a Star Tours prior to lunch at Sci-Fi. Over lunch grabbed a Jungle Cruise for MK as that was the only one available after 7 to allow us to eat at Ohana at 6. Eventually snagged a Splash late and then was able to fill in with Haunted and Winnie the Pooh.

It would be so much easier if you could pick a rough time you wanted to do the ride like we used to be able to do with FP+. It appeared that Rise of the Resistance let you do that somewhat, but that was the only ILL we bought during the week.

4 Likes

There was a question asked in the last article about when TouringPlans will be able to forecast LL return times in a touring plan. See Becky’s response. Example:

2 Likes

This article made my blood boil for how naive it is. Can anyone with a straight face honestly say they would choose It’s Tough to be a Bug or Muppet Vision as their first LL choice of the day?

The article reads as intentionally making the “Use It or Lose It” team look bad. This test was so badly designed that we can’t conclude anything whether stacking vs using works.

2 Likes

Lol! Yeah for the “Use it or Lose it Team” I don’t understand why the most high demand attractions are automatically ruled out from attaining at 7am. Yes, its harder to get an early return time. But why book the most low demand attraction, why not shoot for a mid. I get the point for the selections after the first. Its not realistic. :man_shrugging:

It definitely opened up a can of worms as far as readers wanting different comparisons with a hybrid plan etc. She found herself defending the article.