Park Security

I was in the `world last week while the whole thing around ISIS and France was continuing, and since ISIS did promise retaliatory strikes to the retaliatory strikes to the activity in france, and since I had heard the US participated in those, I couldn’t help thinking…

Attempting to leave all political opinions out of this… I wonder if the bag checks at WDW and other security measures are sufficient for intercepting such activity. It seems that being such a popular and highly populated place, it would be a perfect opportunity to insight fear.

Personally, I felt there was plenty of potential for unwanted items to slip through given the current system. I don’t even know that there is any kind of protection against articles hidden on the body. I did ask the guy checking my bag once if he thought there would ever be the implementation of x-ray machines and what-not like there are in airports, and while I don’t know if that would make things any safer he stated that he hoped it would not come to that as it would make the security check even slower…

I am not sure where I stand on this.

Any other thoughts?

I work in the public schools. In the schools we have security and protocols that we do not share publicly. We also have many, many practices so that people will know their jobs during an emergency but only a very few people know everything. We also make adjustments to our systems every single time there is an incident. I believe that the same is true for Walt Disney World. There are cameras everywhere. There are undrcover security, dogs, and protocols. Enjoy the magic!

2 Likes

Six Flags in New Jersey has a metal detector that you need to go through. Did not slow things down too much, but also not the same volume of people.

I know a few years back my son went to the Magic Kingdom with some friends, he was about 11 at the time. He told me later after the fact that the dad carried a gun into Disney. Nothing to it.

Scary I know.

I think @PrincipalTinker is right on the money. The fact is, a visible security presence is bad show. That doesn’t mean security isn’t there. Seeing the off-duty Osceola County sherrifs that Disney hires walking around in uniform wouldn’t jive with Fantasyland. But not every tourist you see is really a tourist. The bag check is absolutely not the beginning and end of security at Disney.

3 Likes

Totally agree with @PrincipalTinker @theredhead there is more to their security than we can “see”. Things “people” aren’t always what they appear to be. Plus other things going on behind the scenes with different types of surveillance and such. Not saying that it will stop someone that really wants to do something. There are no guarantees but they will make it fairly difficult. Just my 2cents.

1 Like

Not with blinders on - but I think WDW is probably one of the more secure places to be. I think there is a ton going on behind the scenes that we don’t have any idea about.

2 Likes

There was a fascinating thread here or on chat a couple of years ago about security, including someone who sounded like they were in the know who didn’t give details but alluded to a tremendous amount of very high-level security, so I’m sure others are right. Given the amount of money WDW pours into things that we see for pure entertainment, and that one bad event would be catastrophic for their business, I don’t doubt for one second that WDW is one of the safest places to visit in terms of security. But would LOVE to know what goes on behind the scenes!

Fwiw, in the Paris attacks, two of the would-be attackers were trying to get into the soccer stadium, and were stopped by the bag-check security lines. One detonated a suicide vest at the gate, the other turned from the gate and detonated near a McDonald’s by the stadium. So the presence of security lines is a deterrent, even if there might be more stringent security possible.

1 Like

I remember seeing a thing on this once, can’t recall the source, unfortunately, but suffice it to say that Disney is very aware of how appealing a target it would be for an attack of that nature and has many layers of security to prevent it. You can actually see the plain clothes security if you are just alert to them – they look like tourists but they tend to be in one spot and they have the little earbud things in – but it doesn’t stop there, either. It’s a pretty impressive operation.

I almost laughed out loud when I read this on Fox News today: The State Department said that U.S. citizens worldwide should “exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation” and “avoid large crowds or crowded places.” I wonder if there’s any place MORE CROWDED than where I will be on Christmas. :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading Matthew 10. 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.

I won’t live in fear, even though I really do not put any stock in Disney security.

I listened to episode 268 of the Resortloop podcast today: www.resortloop.com the episode is titled : safety and security and discusses all the different jobs that focus on security that you never see.

Gun free zones scare me more than gun friendly zones. Attacks almost always happen in places where guns are prohibited. I would feel safer in WDW if they did allow legal gun carriers to conceal their weapons in the parks. Unless you can create a completely sterile environment like an airport, no matter what people want to believe the facts don’t lie. In the event of an attack, attackers are more intimidated by a private citizen shooting back than police. Most mass shootings and attacks would have been prevented/thwarted if only a small portion of the patrons had firearms. This is why you almost never see robberies/attacks in places like gun stores/gun shows and sorry to say but France was an easy target because it’s citizens are not allowed to have guns. In fact many of their police do not carry firearms on duty.

Sorry for reactivating a dormant thread, but I don’t get to post often, and wanted to close the loop.

Thanks for all the comment and insight. Particularly @PrincipalTinker reference to the podcast. Lots of good info… even if a lot of it seems to be based in inductive reasoning. It would make sense that Disney does not want to spell out the specifics.

1 Like

I don’t know a lot about the specifics of park security arrangements, but I do know that they have a number of plainclothes security people in each park, since I know someone who works in Disney security - there are more security personnel working on-site than you see at any given time. I haven’t asked her about the specifics, but she definitely thinks it’s safe (or she wouldn’t A. work there or B. tell the family to come on down for a visit!), and I hope that’s at least a little bit reassuring.