Paging Mr. Morrow

Nate cracked me up big time today.
Fish swimming in the outlet store parking lot, but…

“Just a little syrup, that’s all you need.” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Too funny, because, the whole time, I’m thinking, “Dude, you forgot to cover the BOTTOM waffle too!” I have a serious problem with pancakes/waffles and syrup distribution. There’s NEVER enough syrup possible. I literally want them soaked in butter and syrup.

“Just a little, that’s all…Just a touch!” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It’s a little bit of comedic relief in the midst of the aftermath.

5 Likes

We buy it by the gallon. Only the real, collected from real live actual trees stuff. So its precious and pricey. But I will never forget when my daughters were younger they would absolutely flood their plates.

I had no choice but to institute a flood ban and introduce maple syrup ramekin dipping…

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

We buy both. I buy real maple syrup (from Aldi) as well as the cheap high-fructose corn syrup fake stuff. My kids actually prefer the fake stuff, so I am pretty much the only one who uses the real stuff…which is for the best since the real stuff costs so much more, and is much more liquidy. Which means, if they DID use it, they would over-pour it and waste half of it down the sink!

1 Like

All my friends call me a “foodie,” but I would never call myself that. I LOOOOVE the fakest, garbagey-est, ersatzest butter flavored trash syrup on the shelf. I shun the real stuff. I honestly want the pancakes/waffles to sit and soak in syrup and butter until they are like sponges that you can wring the syrup out of. That’s honestly one of my favorite foods on the planet. Sure, I love sushi, Indian food, caviar, and oysters, but horrendously soaked pancakes and waffles are easily top 5 overall, imo. You should see my fam try to avoid eye contact with other patrons when I’m prepping my pancakes at the table. You can sense the awkward squirming while I’m opening the butter packets and syrupboarding the guests of honor on my plate. It’s a whole ritualistic thing, and it’s just gross, I must admit, bit sooooooooo goooooooood. :pig: :pig:

3 Likes

My whole family does

Which means my supply is my own supply :slight_smile: And it lasts me forever because I don’t use a ton and we don’t have pancakes or waffles or french toast all that often

I prefer the local stuff myself :smiling_face:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: the visual you’ve created is absolute hilarious! I like my pancakes and french toast fully soaked as well. Waffles not as much bc of all their nooks and room for a dripping mess.

2 Likes

I actually prefer waffles, because once you fill up each little square, you can let them sit, and gravity works in your favor to let it all soak in. Once soaked in, you can sample and apply more syrup if needed, and then that will soak in, too!

It’s a thing with me. I’m a hot mess.

If I make it to retirement, one of my inventions is gonna be a “pancake plate.” They need rims, people. Too much syrup is allowed to run off of your “normie” plates. Do better. I also dream of a day when restaurants will “pre-soak” your pancakes in a vat of warm butter and syrup before bringing them to the table.

5 Likes

Have you tried melting the butter in the syrup in the microwave? (real syrup only for me and even my kids have been brought up to prefer the real cuz it’s all I buy. I request it at restaurants too for an upcharge).

But if melt the butter in the syrup in the microwave and then pour it over the top it’s pure heaven.

4 Likes

:fearful:

:love_you_gesture:

We make waffles, choco chip waffles, waffles topped with strawberries (or strawberries and ice cream!), pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, blueberry pancakes, strawberry pancakes, crepes, or french toast once per week (ok sometimes more). I will admit, though, the crepes have taken a turn toward fresh fruit and light honey (acacia, tupelo, etc) and away from maple syrup over the years.

Like I said, we have to buy it by the gallon! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: Thankfully we can get it in Amish country for about $35/gal.

1 Like

For me waffles don’t need syrup at all. I prefer them with sweetened whip cream and berries.

3 Likes

To me maple syrup on waffles is like the pepperoni of pizza. It’ll always have a spot in my… stomach. But a few years ago in Vegas we discovered the Mixed Berry Waffle at Mon Ami Gabi in Paris Paris, and it was to die for.

1 Like

I love that place! Almost worth going to Vegas to eat there.

2 Likes

As I get older, I enjoy overly sweet foods less than I used to when it comes to the main meal. Basically, I like my desserts sweet, but not my meal.

Pancakes and waffles I enjoy from time to time, as long as accompanied by some decent protein such as eggs/omelettes, sausage, etc. But I limit the amount of syrup. I use “just enough”. Like, those little pre-packaged 1/4 cup serving containers (or whatever size they are) you get are just enough. And, the advantage is that, as a type 1 diabetic, I can better know the carb count for proper bolusing my insulin!

My kids frequently want, when I make pancakes or waffles, that I add chocolate chips. I prefer adding blueberries, so they get annoyed. I don’t want chocolate chips in my pancakes! That’s what you add to dessert! (They vehemently disagree for some odd reason. :wink: )

1 Like

Same.

1 Like

That makes 3. I refuse to add chips to the batter, because I want mine plain or blueberry. The chips have to go in in the pan or waffle maker.

1 Like

#teamrealmaplesyrup here – and I won’t do blueberries in anything. Tiny little sand-like seeds drive me bonkers. So fake blueberry? Yes, please! But the marginally-healthy-type real berries? No, no. No. Srsly, no.

Also, no to chocolate chips. :no_mouth:

But like many others in this thread, we hardly ever have pancakes, waffles, or french toast. Stupid Weight Watchers ruined sweet breakfasts for me!

(I also haven’t had a biscuit since April 26 – but that’s a rant for another day.)

1 Like

I cannot eat real blueberries either. Something in the skins make my body revolt and it’s not good for anyone.

1 Like

Yes, but it gets too runny for pancakes. For waffles, it works. In the pancake realm, runny syrup is the enemy of the top pancake on the stack. And yes, I will absolutely rotate top to bottom if I need to. Another way to combat the “topcake inabsorption conundrum” is to score the top flapjack so the liquid component has a downward path of least resistance, instead of drifting off the sides, and down.

But not to worry, even if the syrup rolls off of the sides, I can use my knife to lift a section of the bottom cake, then tilt the plate so the syrup rolls under the suspended section of carby goodness, then lower the section onto the pool of diabetic sludge that awaits it. Thus, the bottom pancake can get soaked from the bottom and the top, when syrup is poured on it. Yes, each individual pancake gets it’s own pour of syrup on my watch. There’s nothing more irksome to me than those picture perfect ads with a stack of pancakes that only has a drizzle of syrup on the top pancake. What is the freekin POINT??? GAH!

1 Like

4 Likes

I hate to spoil your retirement dreams, but this past year I’ve seen lots of these in stores such as Target and online. You can get such things NOW!

2 Likes