Packing threads, Part III: What *don't* you pack anymore?

Yes. We take the same amount of clothing whether we are traveling for a week or three weeks.

But we take more clothing than one might suspect just looking at our suitcases, because the materials pack so well. And the items that do need to be washed are easily handled in the sink, and don’t need to be dried in a dryer. It’s not at all like doing laundry at home, it’s very minimal.

I’ve been to Europe and Hawaii several times with the same system, it works great for us. My kids, now that they’re grown, all travel the same way. I think there might be one full-sized suitcase among the five of us, and I’m not sure who has it!

1 Like

What soap do you use for sink laundry?

Soap papers, from Travelon. Usually it takes 2-3 of them. Some people don’t like that they’re not very sudsy but that’s also why you can use them in the washing machine. And since they’re not liquid they’re TSA friendly. You get 50 of them in a little matchbox-sized container for about $6 or $7.

1 Like

But I have learned to be careful what to wash this way- in Italy I had to do a pair of jeans and it took 2 days for it to dry out. Of course, dryers are rare there, anyway, but it was annoying.

That’s something to consider. Although most of my clothes will be in the merino or linen category and should dry well, DS’s wardrobe is mostly cotton. It is hard to justify the higher price point for nicer fabric for someone who will outgrow it in 6 months :expressionless:

2 Likes

My kids are big enough to pull their own cases now and we’re coming for 2.5 weeks, I might do some washing but it’s a chore and we won’t have anyway where to dry anything. (I hate dryers as stuff always seems to shrink!)

But I have a fear that if we pack a bag per person one of us will be scuppered if a bag gets lost! I think I’ll do my usual thing of packing swimming costumes and spare pants and t shirts in hand luggage and then pack a case per person. - We’re moving hotels a couple of times in our first week so if something does get lost I worry about getting it back…

This one is easy, my kids. So much easier now I don’t have to bring them.

8 Likes

That would cut down on the luggage tremendously!

1 Like

Physical and emotional

2 Likes

The idea of life after kids sounds epically dreadful! Hoping the six kids will bless me with Gobs of grands!

1 Like

Life after kids is different not dreadful. I was concerned what it would be like with just the 2 of us again but it is nice. For now both are fairly local so we see and talk often. We are in PA and my oldest is likely moving to California in the next couple of months so that will be harder. I know grandbabies are a ways away so for now I am enjoying the time with just DW and I.

4 Likes

hahaha

Ditto. We are hoping to take grandkids to Disney! I figure it will be about two more years before my son and DIL entertain having kids. (They want them for sure…but not this soon.)

1 Like

We used to pack some of each kid’s stuff in another kid’s bag in case of lost luggage. But the only luggage we’ve ever lost (permanently) was actually stolen out of our trunk in Ireland. It was DHs. Probably the suitcase itself was the thing we were most sad about losing.

Related to your topic, I am wondering what is not needed if travelling in August. Do you still need a sweater in the AC etc…
Also do any of u take a hairdryer?

I always take a sweater/sweatshirt in the summer because I’m very cold-natured and find the TS restaurants to be cold. In fact, I’m usually freezing in them even with a sweatshirt. I also take a hair dryer because I have curly hair and need a diffuser.

My mum almost always takes a cardigan with her.

What, exactly, is a vest top?

Oh language barrier - no sleeves. Like this

1 Like

Much cuter than what we cause a vest in the US ha!

3 Likes