Packing threads, Part III: What *don't* you pack anymore?

Most (all?) resorts have decent laundry facilities. I’d much rather do a load mid-week than pack twice as much clothing. Especially since we have trip specific custom shirts, it seems silly to only wear them once and then throw them in the dirty pile in the suitcase.

3 Likes

For me, getting away from doing laundry is part of, well, getting away. I do almost all of it at home, and it can be nice to take a break. Oddly enough, when we travel to a cottage in Maine or on the Cape, I don’t mind doing laundry mid-trip, but our days are more relaxed on those trips.

2 Likes

This is what we do - laundry every 3 days. It’s also nice to come home with a bag of clean clothes rather than piles of laundry…

2 Likes

But then, doing laundry is easy IF you have it in your resort room. In our case, since we rent condos/homes, we always have laundry. So keeping up with laundry is as easy and throwing a load into the washer in the morning before we head out, and then throwing it into the dryer when we get back.

Yes. This is very true!

2 Likes

Very true. We always stay in DVC accommodation with a washer and dryer in the room, so we’re a bit spoiled. Having to schlep to a laundry room would definitely take more effort.

We stayed in villas for years, I never washed a thing. I don’t care if it’s easy. I don’t want to do it!!

8 Likes

I love to do the laundry before I come home. Getting all the clothes unpacked and washed after we get home makes returning from the bubble even a bigger let down.

ditto and I pay extra for flights on Jet Blue for checked luggage; not a huge difference, but worth it not to do laundry. I’ve never stayed where washer/dryer was in room

1 Like

For all of you laundry people, is laundry soap a thing you still pack, or do you just buy it when you get there? I don’t usually launder while on vacation, but am considering it for our stay at Pop. Figured it should work for us if we’re taking afternoon breaks anyway.

In DVC rooms with washer and dryer the laundry detergent is provided. There are also small packets available to buy in the resort stores, and in the laundry rooms. It’s not something I’d pack, personally.

We bring a cache of those laundry pods in a ziplock baggie. Although, we aren’t concerned about space in general, since we drive and have a ton of space for luggage in our minivan. Despite this, we still end up trying to pack as lightly as possible.

1 Like

We always have to wash clothing when we take a 2+ week trip. It’s just not reasonable otherwise as most of the members of my family would not have enough clothes for two weeks. (The youngest two daughters, and I might have enough…)

Mostly I have experiences like @lecras and @ryan1. That said, it’s not always a wonderful experience. In 2015 I thought I would be clever and keep packing to a minimum for our trek from New York to Oregon and back over 16 days. We each packed five outfits, plus the clothing on our backs. I reasoned that we would take four days to get to our friends house, spend seven days with them, then five nights to return. I anticipated being able to do laundry when we first arrived at their house, and then once before we left. I failed to remember that not all washing machines are created equally. We have a gigantic washer at our house, and I could’ve easily washed 40 outfits in two loads at our house. They had the tiniest washer I’ve ever seen, and I was literally doing laundry every single day that we were there. It Quickly became clear that my visions of doing all the laundry in just a few hours the day before we left was just not going to happen. I ended up caving in, and even going to Kmart and buying some kids another outfit or two.

The house we prefer to rent in Florida also has the worst dryer I’ve ever seen. And the humidity there makes it so difficult to just hang things to dry. On our last trip to Florida, we stayed one week in the rental house, then took a one-week cruise. As I needed to wash and dry all of our daily wear clothes before we got on the ship, I actually ran to the laundromat and washed and dried all 50+ outfits in just under an hour and a half. Shoved everything into suitcases and hurried back to the rental where the whole family folded together for about 20 minutes.

Since we drive a large van, I do just prefer to pack enough clothes that I won’t have to launder anything except maybe underwear and socks. If I did laundry on vacation and then stuck it in suitcases and drove all the way home with it it would not feel clean to me when I got home. As a matter of fact, normally when we pack to come home the rule is just shove everything anywhere you find a spot and will sort it out when we get home.

2 Likes

I should add another reason we do laundry: fear of bed bugs. Mostly due to our hotels on the way down. After we take off our clothes for day 1 drive down, we put those in a safe location. But the clothes we sleep in the next morning go immediately into a plastic garbage back and tied up, in case of any bed bugs. When we arrive to our destination, we immediately watch our travel clothes, including sleep clothes, on HOT water to kill any bed bugs.

Me too! I am against doing laundry on vacation, I do plenty at home. We leave tomorrow morning for 11 nights and I packed about 16 complete outfits per person just so I don’t have to do any laundry!

6 Likes

I pack even more than than for 2 weeks at Disney because of the humidity! If we take a break we change. But we don’t always take a break. My sister only packed 3 days worth of clothes for the 5 of them last time they went, my mum said the washer was on constantly. And they made packed lunches to take to the park and ate dinner back at the villa every night except one! That’s not a holiday.

1 Like

That’s pretty close to our experience as well.

But with that, I’ll vehemently disagree! :slight_smile:

I agree. IF I am doing laundry and cooking on vacation it is only because we have rented a beach house. And even then I don’t cook like I do at home.

I will be prepared to do one or two loads of laundry while at WDW, but I won’t if I don’t absolutely have to. Rain is predicted for every day we are there so I may well have to if we are changing out of wet clothes into dry ones every day. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s all about embracing the wrinkles…LOL

2 Likes

If I’m at Disney I want to spend my time in the parks, not cooking and cleaning. They only went to the parks in the morning and to the supermarket every single day. It’s too expensive coming from the UK to waste your time like that imo. I know a WDW trip isn’t exactly relaxing but at least it’s a break from the every day housework. And being away from the every day is what a holiday is all about.

You do you, but it’s not for me. And my parents said they would never go with my sister again because of it.

And seriously, you’d take 3 sets of clothes for a 2 week holiday in July??

4 Likes

Hmm, we must be doing it wrong… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like