Our Family Trip Report - Combined Disney and Universal - June 5 to 12,2018

Day 6 – Magic Kingdom (Fantasyland) Morning & Hollywood Studios (Afternoon/Evening)

After what feels like no sleep at all, the alarm goes off at 6 am for our 6:45 departure from the house. I can feel myself dragging through this one, but I know there is some great stuff planned for today, so we (adults who didn’t get any sleep) push through.

We arrive at the TTC around 7:30 again, but this time the monorail is up and running. We hop on for this ride and make it to the park entrance by 7:40 am. We find the line for the reservations and tours, but today, it also includes those who bought the Extra Morning Magic tickets. We knew about this ahead of time, but decided this was our only shot to get on the Seven Dwarves without a massive wait. Reading up on it ahead of time, most people say you can still get at least one ride before rope drop with a BOG reservation. But wait, I wanted to pre-order and forgot! As I am shifting through the order screen on my phone and walking at the same time, my family makes sure that I don’t run into a pole. I get the orders in before we arrive, and walk into the pre-order line.

Since we are some of the first people there, and we’ve pre-ordered, we get our pick of the seats. We choose to sit in the West Wing and get some photos before the food arrives. I don’t want to sit right next to the rose, as I imagine hoards of people walking through there to take their photos right next to that table. We sit a couple tables away instead. P.S. It’s dark in that room.

Since we had to make our reservations under three different MDE accounts (I couldn’t find a reservation for 6 people), we have three different pre-orders. I thought with us all sitting together, that we would only get one or two trays of pastries, but they must have been giving that day and we got a tray with every order. We weren’t looking for that to happen, as it was just the only way to get all 6 of us in, but it was a good perk for us, as my kids ate almost two trays of pastries to themselves. Maybe they skipped dinner last night?

Once we finished by 8:30, we were on our way out to find the line for 7DMT. From what I had heard, on an EMM day, they would hold the breakfast people at a line near a trashcan. We found the line right outside of BOG and joined in. By 8:50, they were moving the line over to the ride’s area, but still holding us outside the queue. I was surprised to see another line of people waiting at the queue’s entrance, and apparently Disney had no interest in forcing them to the back of our line. I hate it when people don’t follow the rules and still get what they want. It’s frustrating, but I’m not going to let it ruin our day, even though my sleep lacking self really wanted to say something. It was only about 10 people anyway. The EMM people were still rushing through the FP queue when they finally let us in. After that ride, the 1-4 hour line doesn’t make ANY sense to me. This ride is fun, but not worth that kind of wait for us, so we’re glad to get on with a minimal wait.

Since our TP is officially underway, we move on to Winnie the Pooh across the street. The wait is actually longer than predicted in both the TP and the Disney wait time posted, but I’m not veering from my plan now. We just got started. So we take some photos while in line to pass the time.

Next up is Little Mermaid, so we make our way to the back of Fantasyland. Surprisingly, this queue is practically empty and we walk right on. This turns out to be one of my favorite animatronic rides in all of Disney. Maybe it’s the music, or maybe it’s the real life feel of Ursula, but this one sticks with me even today. I personally loved it!

Now it’s time to head over to Storybook Circus. This land seems a little young for our group, but we were determined to ride everything. We get to the line for Barnstormer and it’s a little longer than we expected. The Disney estimate was around 25 min, and we were only expecting about 10 min. But remembering what I learned about the Disney estimates being long, we hop in line anyway. We end up only waiting about 15 min, and the kids are sorely disappointed that the ride is only a couple minutes long. But now that they are getting used to coasters, they still like it.

We head over to Dumbo after Barnstormer. The wait on this one is a little deceiving, as they usher you in to the building, only to usher you back out to the ride. We were hopeful for a shorter wait as we approached only to have a bit longer inside. But we can’t complain…at least it’s inside! With no frills, we are in and out of Dumbo in about 15-20 min tops. So we make our way over to Mad Tea Party.

My sister is super excited about Mad Tea Party. When we were here as kids over 30 years ago, she remembers the tea cups. But she also remembers that our parents didn’t let us ride. She says that was a big disappointment that stuck with her all these years. She was determined to get on the tea cups this time. And that we did! She and I rode together (to reminisce on our childhood memories) while the kids and the 18 yr old rode in another cup. My DH sat out, because, well…spinning. We had to pick out a purple cup. I know the rumors may not be true about them spinning faster, but why not try anyway!

At last, we were at our last ride for this TP. We walked back over to the castle area and found the entrance to Mickey’s Philharmagic. We must have timed this one just right, as we were ushered in to the waiting area inside with only a few minutes to wait. Another great show that’s not to be missed.

We had officially completed our TP, and we decided to double check our “food list” for Fantasyland. There were several items to check off here, and it was close to lunchtime, so hunger was not an issue. Mapping out a good route in my head, we first headed over to the Friar’s Nook for some Fried Twinkies. My kids each ordered one and were willing to share with the rest of us. My DS got strawberry and DD got the chocolate. I personally liked the strawberry one.

Next up, we made our way back to the Beast’s castle area and found Gaston’s Tavern. We ordered several Lefou’s Brews to share. All I can say is this is AWESOME! So tasty, and definitely refreshing as the sun was heating up. We managed to catch a glimpse of Gaston as he was just coming outside for his meet and greets. The guy playing Gaston could really play it up. He knew the character well (and handsome, too).

Finally, we headed back over near the Tea Party for some Cheshire Cat Tails at the Cheshire Café. Although still very tasty, it was exactly like the chocolate pastries from our breakfast at BOG, only a different shape and covered in icing. Still good though. By the time we finish, it’s now past noon and we plan to be in Hollywood Studios by 3 pm, so we head back to the house to relax and eat lunch.

Because this was our one shot to go to Hollywood Studios, we didn’t want to miss anything. We pre-planned to use our FP+ here instead of Magic Kingdom in the morning. But while planning our TP for HS, I could never find the right combination of FP that allowed us to take full advantage. We were skipping Tower of Terror (no one was interested in that one), I heard that FP to shows aren’t really worth it, and all we really wanted were the Tier 1 rides. I decided early on that we would try to cheat the system a bit by scheduling our Tier 2 FP before we even got to the park and let them expire. We would show up in time for our Tier 1, then hopefully be able to obtain another Tier 1 for later while we were there. The plan worked out great!

When we arrived, it was already time for our first (and third) FP for Toys Story Midway Mania. It felt good not having to RD this ride, and we got to take in the sights of the park on our way to the back. Once we were on the ride, we were thrilled! We all loved the arcade style play, but by the time we finished, our arms were tired of pulling that cord. I sure wish Disney would find a better way to shoot those targets. Whew!

As we exited the ride, I immediately hopped on the MDE app to see what other FP were available. Low and behold, the one ride I was looking for was there…Rockin Roller Coaster! Since only the three adults wanted to ride, I only booked three FP at 8:40 pm. A long wait, but worth it. Next up was Star Tours, and we headed over.

On our way over, they were just wrapping up the Star Wars stage show in front of the Chinese theater. As geeked out as my nephew was, I promised him we would come back for the whole thing. We made it to Star Tours and the Disney wait estimate was high at 30 min. We went in anyway, and glad we did, as we practically walked right up to the point where the FP and normal lines meet. Took us no time at all and we were on board. I heard that if you can catch the show with the pod race in it, you were getting the best one. And imagine that…it was the first one we caught. It was exciting! The kids loved it so much that we decided to go get in line again. Another short 10 min wait and we were back on for a different journey.

By this time, our planned start for the Indiana Jones show was nearing, so we headed over. We made just in time and still got decent seats on the left side of the theater. Surprisingly, as corny as I thought these stunts were, my kids loved the show. I would glance at them occasionally to see them laughing and really enthralled in the act. And they’ve never even seen Indiana Jones. Luckily, being on the left side of the theater was good, as that was the exit side. We were able to get out of a packed theater rather quickly and make it to the Stars Wars Stage show that I promised from earlier.

When we arrived in front of the Chinese Theater, there was still about 10 min left before the show started. Most of us found a nice shady spot near Hollywood and Sunset to park for the show. My nephew and DS had to stand right up front at the ropes. It was in direct sunlight, but they didn’t care. They geeked out anyway, and most of the pics we have are theirs.

Our TP said it was time for Muppets 3D, so we walked back over. Unfortunately, I didn’t check the Lines App first or I would have known that it was shut down. We needed to waste some time until Muppets opened back up, so we decided to go have a look at Walt Disney Presents and Star Wars Launch Bay. We had no interest in meeting characters, but some of the items there were going to satisfy the boys.

First up, we went through Walt Disney Presents. I wasn’t sure what to expect here, but it was an interesting look into the past of Disney as a company and a man. My DD particularly liked all the models of the parks. So much so that she asked for her picture with the Epcot ball.

We ended our tour of this place with a short preview of Incredibles 2. We were happy to see it at the time, as the movie had yet to come out. Made us even more excited to see when released. Incredibles are a favorite.
As we exits the preview, I check the Lines App and Muppets is still down. We move on to Star Wars Launch Bay. Interesting stuff in there, but it was difficult to navigate past all the meet and greets so we could just see the props. At one point, my sister was looking in a case and did a 180 to catch up with us only to find herself face to face with a Stormtrooper. She didn’t know they were right behind her, and she didn’t run into them, but it scared her a bit. And the handler didn’t “handle” it very well either. She gave my sister what seemed like a nice scolding for not waiting in line to meet the Stormtrooper. My sister was not happy about that, but we just decided to move on.

One more check on the Lines App and it looks like Muppets is open again…Yeah! We make the trek back across the park (again!) and step into probably the best show I saw for the whole trip. Personally, I’m a bit of a fan of Muppets (they were on my Magic Band), and was looking forward to this show. It did not disappoint a huge Muppets fan either.

We are glad to finally get this last show in, as our dinner reservation at 50s Prime Time is nearing. We get back to Echo Lake and we’re about 10 min ahead of our scheduled reservation. I knew that there was potential that we would need to wait, so we went ahead and checked in early. We parked ourselves in a nearby living room complete with old fashioned TV. I was fun to watch some of the old clips and reminisce on shows we hadn’t seen in quite a while. We ended up waiting well over 15 min beyond our scheduled reservation, but had no complaints as we noticed it had started to rain outside.

Once we got seated in a corner booth of one of the smaller rooms, we watched a very hilarious waiter at the table next to us. I do remember his name was Eric, and he was an odd duck. He reminds me of the voice of Will Arnett on the body of “Jamie” from the Progressive commercials. But he kept us chuckling continuously throughout dinner. He was sharing the room with our waitress, and I can’t recall her name. She was a little more bland, and didn’t seem to enjoy her job as much as Eric. But he kept us entertained for the both of them.

This meal was probably the best Table Service that we had the entire trip. And I say that knowing we were at Cinderella’s castle the night before. My sister had the Fried Chicken and said it tasted just like our deceased grandma’s recipe (which none of us know). My DS gladly ordered the meatloaf, since I refuse to make it at home. And my nephew and I both ordered the pot roast. Seriously, this was to die for! And of course, it was covered in brown gravy :blush:

Once we finished eating, we had about 15 min until our FP for RnRC, and it had stopped raining. We came outside to the muggy FL humidity. We found a good bench to sit on and just relaxed for a moment. As we sat, we made our plan on how to tackle a FP when the kids didn’t want to go. They made an easy decision that they wanted to go back to Star Tours and would continue to ride as many times as they could. After all, you practically never get the same ride twice. We made plans to text them just as soon as we finished our ride on RnRC, and they would meet us back at the dinosaur at Echo Lake. The kids, along with the 18 yr old, took off left and we went right.

We were more than happy to have a FP for this ride, as the wait was now up to 90 min (according to Disney estimates). As we approached the fence inside where you can see the cars taking off, the nerves were building inside. Should we have eaten such a big meal right before this ride? Probably not, but it’s too late now. We loaded into the seats and rounded the curve. My pulse is racing and the curse words are flying through my head (Not out loud, of course). What have I just gotten myself into? I’m sitting next to my sister with my DH behind us. And before you know it, we’re gone in a flash! All I remember doing is screaming…a lot. My sister, on the other hand, laughed hysterically the entire time. Even with all that screaming, this is one of the better coasters I have ridden.

We get to the end of the ride, into the tunnel prior to unloading, and we stop. Literally, STOP! We don’t move for what seems like 10 min. I just need to get off this ride and get a drink of water! Get me off this ride! My sister uses this 10 min wait to text her son that we are done (we think), and to start heading back. Once he finally responds, he tells us he is standing in line for the next Star Tours and they will be there afterwards.
As we are sitting all alone at the Dinosaur, we can see the projections on the Chinese Theater from the show. We stand at the edge of the lake and take it in. What a sight! Finally, the kids arrive from their last Star Wars ride, only to find out that they managed to get in three rides in the time it took us for one ride on RnRC. It’s finally time to head back to the house for some long needed rest.

Lesson learned from today: Don’t ride the crazy rides right after a big meal. Wait, didn’t I already say that once? Guess I didn’t learn my lesson…

Next up on Day 7 – Magic Kingdom Morning (again!) & Animal Kingdom

9 Likes

great report so far! I am amazed that you kept your family on a tight schedule - good job!

Love the West Wing! What a great day!

Day 7 – Magic Kingdom Morning (Tomorrowland) & Animal Kingdom (Afternoon/Evening)

And here we are…finally! Our last “official” touring day. We still have tomorrow at Magic Kingdom, but only intend to use our three FP, then shop and relax in the park. The exhaustion of my meticulous planning is catching up with all of us, but we’ve made it! We arise at our usual 6 am to make it to the park by 8 am RD. When we get to the TTC today, the monorail is closed again (this time they say it’s having issues) and tell us the Ferryboat option is much quicker. You would think I learned my lesson from the last time, but I didn’t. The ferryboat is not quicker…it’s never quicker. But oh, well. I guess this is our last chance to savor the ride. My motion sick DH said the last ferryboat ride was fine, so we hop on again.

I felt a little better about the plan today, as I knew that we were only headed to Tomorrowland. As I watched all the hordes of people file in next to the spoke that takes you to Fantasyland (and 7DMT), I laughed a little knowing my battle was not so great today. We lined up for the Tomorrowland entrance and took in the sounds of the Welcome show (you can’t it very well from way off to the right). As we entered Tomorrowland, we knew the TP had us starting at Tomorrowland Speedway and went directly there.

I didn’t mind starting at the Speedway. From what I had heard, the fumes and outdoor queue of this ride can be horrible as the day heats up. And I figured we would have the whole track to ourselves, which we did. My DD and I were the first ones on the track, and I let her do the driving. And from this very brief ride on a guided track I also learned that I am in fear of what is to come when my daughter learns to drive. God help us…we are in for some serious trouble!

After the speedway, our TP had us heading over to Space Mountain. As we are walking over, I (along with my DH and sister) are still trying to convince all three kids to join in. We kept telling them that this one is just Big Thunder in the dark. Ok, I know, that’s a bit of a stretch. But it worked and they hopped in line with us. Zooming through the queue, we made it to the loading zone in a matter of 5 min. I didn’t thoroughly do my research here, and didn’t realize until we arrived at loading that these cars were single file. I mention this to my kids, in which my DD doesn’t care and my DS is now more scared than before. I mean, who’s arm is he going to hold on to when he freaks out? By this point, we realize we get a single car to ourselves and my DD is demanding the front seat. Wow, her courage kicked up fast! In the end, DD loved it, the 18 yr old loved it, but my DS said, “Never again!”.

Next up was Astro Orbiter. We walked over to the terrace and hopped in a short line. Not even 5 min later and we were on the elevators to the top. My DH held back on this one because, again…spinning. So one of us was going to ride alone and they all picked me for that. I was fine with riding alone, until I realized how the ride vehicle worked. I don’t suggest riding this one solo if you can help it. The ride vehicle is pretty long (enough for three people to fit sitting back to back) and the arm for moving the vehicle up and down is ALLLL the way up front. I scooted myself as far forward as I could, but still had trouble with the lever because it just sits so far away from a single rider. But I still managed to have a good ride.

The TP had Buzz Lightyear planned for us next, so we moved on. By this time, the lines had actually started to build up just a little, so we had more like a 10 min wait here. But for a CL 10 day at MK, we still breezed through pretty quickly. Buzz Lightyear was not a good ride for myself or my DD, even though shooter style rides are a favorite. We both had so much trouble figuring out where we were aiming our guns. We both came out with relatively low scores, and at one point, I was telling her to just shoot anywhere. We are bound to hit something. On the other hand, my DH and DS loved it. They had the targeting figured out and were racking up the scores. So maybe it’s just me?

With all the more popular attractions out of the way, we could finally relax a bit and strolled slowly over to Carousel of Progress. It didn’t take but a few minutes before we were in the theater and seated for the next show. I found this ride to be very interesting, but I like learning and reminiscing on things of the past. My kids, on the other hand, just wanted it to end. That is, until we got to the final scene and they could finally relate. But this show is always a classic and should not be missed.

Once we finished the Carousel, we moved on to Monsters, Inc. Again, the wait times were now building and we did end up waiting through two shows before we got in. But it wasn’t too terribly long. I was a little disappointed in the seats in this theater. Maybe I was hoping for plush movie theater seats, I’m not sure, but this perfectly perpendicular plastic things were NOT comfortable. The show, on the other hand, was funny, witty, and unique. We loved how they were able to integrate the audience into this one. With the fact that you never get the same show twice, I could have seen it again if the line wasn’t so long.

Last thing on the list for Tomorrowland was the People Mover. We headed back to the platform at the base of Astro Orbiter, and were surprised to find a line for the People Mover. I had heard there is usually never a line. But I soon figured out why when I saw their moving walkway to the top was not running. A quick 3-4 min later and they had it up and running. But it was still taking a while for the line to catch up. Unfortunately, I didn’t know how small these ride vehicles were. The CMs decided to cram all 6 of us into one car. Even with a small kid on each side, we still struggled to fit comfortably. Word of advice for those with a larger party is to split yourselves up into 4 or less per car. You won’t regret it. Overall, this is a relaxing ride and a great way to get some good views of Tomorrowland. We particularly liked going through Space Mountain. It was fun to hear all the people screaming and having fun in the background.

We had finished this TP by now, and were ready to tackle the “food list” again. I only had two things on the list for Tomorrowland, and one of them was unlikely. I had read online somewhere that the Lunching Pad occasionally carried more than one stuffed pretzel. The full time option was the pepper jack cheese stuffed, but there was a possibility for say, a sweet cream stuffed version? Sadly, no. Not on our day anyway. So we instead went for the only other food item on the list, the purple wall slushy. This…is…AMAZING! I love milk teas and even taro tea, but this was the best thing I had ever tasted! Side note: I actually found another Taro Tea Slushy at a nearby chain in KC called Kung Fu Tea. And it tastes exactly like the purple wall slushy in Tomorrowland. Guess I know what I will be ordering from now on :blush: My DH didn’t share much in the slushy, and he wanted a drink, so I checked off one more item on my food list from Main Street. We made our way over to Casey’s Corner and ordered the Mint Julep Lemonade Slushy. We decided we would get this on the go as we headed out the gates. Again, very delicious! This was exactly what we needed to get us to the car as the sun was heating up. Now, back to the house for some rest.

We made it back to the house around 12:30, and needed to be at Animal Kingdom by 3:45 pm. So our break was a little longer this day. We ate lunch and went for a swim before taking off for Animal Kingdom. We were excited to arrive as this was the day of Pandora. The land and the rides, along with the food, were all on our minds and we couldn’t wait to get there.

The plan had us starting with some of the animal trails, so we managed to make our way to the back of the park. We started off with the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. This is a long windy trail that takes a while to get through. Disney does a really good job with theming throughout this area, but it still feels like a zoo in the end. After Gorilla Falls, we walked a little further around the circle to the Maharaja Jungle Trek. This one was not nearly as long. In the end of both, we did manage to see some beautiful birds, as well as a few baby animals.
Next up was Primeval Whirl. The kids were again excited about another roller coaster, albeit a bit tamer than the rest. We only waited about 10 min to ride this one, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. But just as we were exiting, we could see the rain clouds rolling in and started to feel a few drops. The next step in our TP was to have the kids ride Primeval Whirl again without the three adults as part of their FP, while the 3 adults headed back to Expedition Everest for their FP. We made plans with the 18 yr old to have them “hang out” in Dinoland until we came back to get them. They agreed and we took off for the mountain.

As we approached Everest, we could feel the rain falling a little harder now, and I started to wonder if this would be a face-pelting ride. We walk straight into the FP line and reach the awning. Just as we reach the back of the FP line, an announcement is made that they are shutting down the ride for weather. Apparently, there was now lightening in the area. We sat in line for about 20 min, hoping that they would start things up again, but every rumble of thunder we heard doused that dream. As we waited in line, we got a text from my nephew stating that their ride was shut down, too. They never got their second ride, but the CMs there were happy to send their FP back to the account. Sure enough, I check my MDE account to see their FP are back on there. This gives the adults hope that we can do the same, and we start working our way back to the ride entrance. We can’t keep standing here as our TP has other things to do.

We reach the front of the FP queue, and inquire with the CM standing there. This girl was my first real encounter with a CM that just didn’t care. I asked her about putting our FP back on our account, since the Primeval Whirl crew had done so for our kids. She promptly stated that because the shutdown was weather related, that they would not be giving us our FP back. She goes on to tell us that if it was their fault, such as a breakdown of the ride, they would. But not today. I even went so far to explain to her that we had literally just tapped in 2 min before the shutdown, that this was our first FP of the day, and all I really wanted to do was get this one back so I could modify it to another ride. I didn’t even want the “any ride you can choose” FP that my kids got. Nope, she outright refused and seemed a little put off that I wasn’t accepting her first answer. This one put a bitter taste in my mouth and made me a bit of a grump for a couple hours. I regret getting upset now, but in that moment, I felt like they just didn’t care about us.

Giving up on even getting through to this girl, we just left and went back to Dinoland to pick up the kids. We were already late for our arrival at It’s Tough to Be a Bug, according to the TP, so we hurried back to its’ entrance. The wait there was a bit excessive, and we were already agitated from the Everest experience, but we finally made it inside.

This show was absolutely what we needed in this moment. My kid’s reaction to the spiders dropping from the ceiling and the bugs crawling through the chairs was just what we needed to improve our moods. Overall, we enjoyed the show, but the ending was the best part. I knew the bugs in the seats were coming, but no one else did!

By this time, we had built in a break for dinner into the TP. I was glad to have it as we had gotten a little behind schedule. The plan was to eat in Pandora at the Satuli Canteen. My DH is all about unique foods with real ingredients you can identify, so this was right up his alley. The food here is delicious! We all ended up with meat bowls, except my DS who really wanted to try the Cheeseburger Pods. He let everyone else try the pods. You can really taste the pickle in those things. I don’t think there was anything on the menu that would have not been good here. And, of course, my sister and I both ordered the Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse. Since I was missing practically everything on my food list for this park (not planned that way), I wasn’t going to miss this one!

We had planned to ride Navi River Journey after dinner. It was the shortest wait I could find when planning our TP a while back. But the rain had thrown a kink in this chain also. When I pulled up the Lines app, our planned 56 min wait had now turned into well over 90 min. I assume this is because it was one of the very few indoor choices that wasn’t shut down, so people filled up the line. Since this wasn’t going to work for us, seeing that we had two more FP to make that night, we decided to skip it altogether and just go enjoy the sights of Pandora instead. We ended up with some amazing photos because of it.

After spending some leisurely time just wandering around Pandora, we were now back on track with the TP. We were about 10 min ahead, but decided to start our walk over to Dinosaur. I had read some reviews about this ride really scaring some people, even scarring them for life. But how scary can animatronic dinos be? In the end, my whole family enjoyed the ride. It was not nearly as scary as some make it out to be. Although my sister did honestly admit that the one large dino that pops up out of nowhere did catch her off guard.

Twilight was coming on fast, and it was now time for our Kilimanjaro Safari FP. Seeing that line for this ride made me glad we had a FP. We were on with about a 12 min wait, and luckily got seated in the second to last row of the truck. Two things about this ride were great: 1) the safari in twilight is amazing and 2) the back of the truck didn’t matter as much as who was sitting on the outside of the rows. The one that was trying to take all the photos was my nephew, who happened to be sitting in the middle of the row. But photos don’t really happen at twilight anyway. They tell you to keep your flash off (which I understand), but then you get nothing for photos. We did enjoy this ride, and our truck driver was incredibly knowledgeable with every animal.

Finally, it was time for the much anticipated Flight of Passage! As we walked back to Pandora, I grilled my DH on whether he would be riding or not. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon some FP at the 30 day mark, albeit they were for 8:50 pm. But none of us cared, as long as we got to ride it once. After we arrived near the ride, my DH decided he would give it a try. I kept warning him that this is a motion simulator, but he assured me he could handle one time. I had heard that the queue for this ride is quite a sight, and we were a little sad to miss it. But not sad enough to wait 160 min more than our 20 min we had.

I’m probably going to catch a lot of criticism from some when I say what I will next. This ride was fun, but I honestly couldn’t say it was any better than most of the motion simulators in Universal. I guess if I compare it to all other Disney rides, it is the best of the best. But after spending two days in Universal earlier this week, I was a little let down by this ride. I had such high expectations that it would knock my socks off. But it just felt like I was back in Universal again. Now that I’ve said my peace on that, I will say that we still enjoyed it and still thought it was an exhilarating experience.

At last, we were complete with our day and our TP. By the time we made it to the entrance of the park, the show they project on the the Tree of Life was almost over. We stopped for a minute to watch some of it. But if we wanted to beat the crowds out the gates, we needed to go ahead and exit. So we called it a night. The kids fell asleep in the car on the way back to the house this time. We really wore them out! But that’s ok when we had our one and only “sleep in” day planned for tomorrow. We didn’t have to check out of our house until 10 am, so we knew we would take our time and get some much needed sleep.

Next up…FINAL DAY at Magic Kingdom – One Last Goodbye!

7 Likes

Day 8 – LAST DAY in Magic Kingdom!

This was the morning we had been waiting for. We didn’t have to get up at a specific time and could finally sleep in. But after getting up at the equivalent of 5 am in my home time zone every day, the internal alarm clock kicked in. I was up before everyone else at 7:30 am EST. So much for sleeping in.

Since we needed to pack up our house and be gone by 10 am, we had planned this day to be a more relaxing one. I had no TP in place, only our three standard FP. We planned to shop, eat, and wander today. We ate as much of the food as we could that remained in our fridge, packed up our bags, and were out by 9:45 am. We took off for Magic Kingdom one last time.

When we arrived a little after 10 am, the parking lot wasn’t nearly as full as I expected it to be by this time. We parked in Peter Pan and decided to walk to the TTC, since the trams were packed and lines were forming. We were able to cram into some fairly packed monorails and make our way to the entrance.

Once inside, the kids decided they wanted to do a little shopping along Main Street. Since our first FP was not until 11 am, we had plenty of time. We started at the closest end on the left, and used the connecting doors inside to wander all the way to the end. My kids found some pretty good souvenirs, and were able to use up most of their gift cards. My DD’s particular favorite was the Mini Figurine Park Packs. These packs each had three mystery miniature figures in them, based on different themes.

As we departed the corridor out of Casey’s Corner, our first FP time had already began. Originally, I had let all three kids pick one FP for this day as their favorite ride in the park. Unfortunately, they picked well before we rode anything, so their actual favorites had changed. I looked several times throughout the course of the week at the available changes we could make, but this was a 9 CL day. So modifying any of these FP was not going to happen. We were stuck with their original choices. And our first stop was my DS’s choice, Buzz Lightyear.

Same problem as before…my DD and I could not figure out how to aim in this ride. So, of course, my DS and DH beat our scores easily. Once we finished, we checked the Lines App for any other Tomorrowland rides, but everything in the entire park was above 30 min at this point. We just didn’t have any interest in standing in any lines today. Instead, we headed back over to the Tomorrowland Terrace for a Lemon Blueberry Cake (and another Purple Wall Slushy). As we sat, my kids opened up all of their mystery figures they had purchased earlier. I had bought one for myself, and was glad to get two Muppets in my pack. We relaxed for a good 20 min in order to walk right in to our next FP for Mad Tea Party (my DD’s choice).

My sister was not as excited about a second ride on the teacups. She didn’t realize how fast they would really spin, and we cranked it up pretty fast the last time. But, with this being our last day in the parks, she was happy to oblige. We switched up the cups a little this time. My nephew rode with my DD, and my DS and I rode with my sister. In the end, we still had a blast.

Not moving yet…

Now we are moving!

As we exited the teacups, we realized that Fantasyland was getting way too crowded, so we headed to the other side of the park. We wandered around a few shops in Frontierland, including a pin shop. We were not going to trade any pins on this trip, and no one seemed to have any interest in them originally. But after a while, all the kids started to see the fun in collecting them, and a few purchases were made. Next up, we had another food stop to make. We wandered over towards the Golden Oak Outpost.

Once we reached the Golden Oak Outpost, our intent was to just get some Desert Pear Lemonade Slushies. But when we saw the BBQ pork rinds, we couldn’t resist that either. With no plans to eat a full lunch on this day, a salty snack was due. We found a table nearby with four chairs, so my DD and I hopped up on a half cement wall to sit. There were these little white birds nearby that looked like smaller versions of egrets (not sure on what they were). These birds were hiding in the bushes behind the cement wall, and running out to grab anything a child dropped on the ground. It was pretty entertaining watching them run after food, or fighting over it. We sat here for a good 20 min just watching the birds. Once we decided to leave our spot, we still had about 30 min until the final FP, so we decided to go back to shopping. Seeing that our FP was for Pirates (my nephew’s choice), we decided that shopping in the shop attached to that ride would be a good idea.

As we wandered around the Pirate shop, we started to hear some rumblings from people about the ride being shut down. I wandered outside and looked at the entrance, only to find it roped off. A quick check on my Lines app also confirmed it. By this point, our FP time had almost arrived, so I inquired with one of the CMs standing in front of the ropes. She said the shutdown was expected to take a couple hours, and that our FP would likely be replaced. As I walked back to the store to find my family, my MDE app popped up with a message about our FP. The replacement had kicked in. Being new to Disney, I checked with a CM to understand how this replacement worked. We could either wait for Pirates to open back up, or we could use this FP at any time for any ride on the list (minus 7DMT or Peter Pan). This must have been our lucky day. All three kids immediately decided on Big Thunder Mountain, as this was their new favorite ride. Since we didn’t need to leave for the airport until 3pm, we decided to give it a little more time, so more shopping was next again.

We shopped for another 30 min before we had decided maybe we should get this ride out of the way. We walked over and jumped in the FP line. In about 5 min, we were riding again (third time for the adults now). This ride is still a ton of fun, and I’m glad my kids finally found a coaster they like. When we finished up, we made our way over to one more food stop, The Sunshine Tree Terrace. We had to give the Citrus Swirl a try and satisfy my DH’s hunger for ice cream. This ice cream was good, but not quite as good as the Dole Whip. The citrus swirl seemed a little less sweet.

After sitting and enjoying this treat for a while, it was now almost 3 pm and time to head out. One final stop was planned on our way out the gates at Casey’s Corner for another Mint Julep Lemonade Slushy. But as we walked, we noticed the ropes were out for the parade, so we knew time was not on our side. When we got to Casey’s, my kids decided they were hungry and wanted some fries. So a couple orders of fries and a lemonade slushy, and we were headed down the corridor in the back of the Main Street stores. By this point, the parade was going down Main Street and our time was running out. I was speed walking pretty fast, and exited the shop on the end only to find I lost my family. After about 30 seconds, they appeared out of the shop, and we raced across the circle to the exit. I could see other people running across the street to beat the parade, but by the time we reached the ropes, we had just missed our chance. Now we were stuck!
Not by choice, we stood at these ropes and watched the parade. My kids finished their fries, and my lemonade slushy was almost gone. But the parade finally wrapped, and with the throngs of other people, we exited the park and headed back to the car. It wasn’t the goodbye for Disney I had hoped for, as it felt a little crowded and rushed, but I should have remembered the 3 o’clock parade was at 3 o’clock. Duh!

We jumped in the car and headed towards the airport. About 10 min into the drive, my DD is saying something about her tablet being missing. I knew I had packed it in her carry on that morning, but she couldn’t find it. We pulled over on an exit somewhere and started to dig through all the luggage. We checked every carry on and every bag, only to have my sister recall that she saw my DD laying on her bed with the tablet right before we left. Of course, she left it at the house! The only option we had at this point was to email the home owner/property management and ask them to look for it. Ultimately, the cleaner did find it exactly where we knew it would be…on the princess bed. They agreed to mail it back to us.

We take off for the airport again, and this time we are a little short on time because of our detour. We get to the airport, return the SUV, check in for our flight, and make it through security. This time, we were all TSA pre-checked. Luckily, my DH did not forget to add my TSA pre-check number to my return reservation earlier that week or we would have not made it. We take the tram over to our gates, and find a McDonald’s to grab some quick dinner. Scarfing it down quickly, and we are at our gate with 10 min left until pre-board.
We watch the board…still showing on time. But there is no plane in our gate. That’s odd. Not even 5 min after we get to the gate do we hear the announcement that our flight is delayed by 30 min. Seriously?!? After all that rushing, and now this! The 30 min delay goes quickly, and we are finally boarded. The plane taxis to what we think is the runway and stops. The pilot comes on the intercom only to tell us that a weather delay has put us behind about 14 other planes on the taxiway. It was going to be about 20 min of sitting on the taxiway before we could take off. Wow, this trip is not going to end!

After about 30 min on the taxiway, we are finally in the air and headed home. We reach our home airport of MCI about an hour after the scheduled arrival. I guess it’s a good thing we didn’t have a connecting flight somewhere. We retrieve our bags and we are finally on our way home. The hour drive from the airport put us home around 11 pm CST. I run over to my family’s house to grab my dogs, and finally can put a lid on this vacation!

This trip was a great time for our family. Even though we had a very tight schedule, with lots of morning hours and late nights, there wasn’t a moment we didn’t like. Surprisingly, we never got into any huge arguments and got along for almost all of the trip. My nephew ended up with a MRSA infection from a blister he popped and didn’t cover properly. But we all ended up with some great memories! Good-bye Disney (for now…)!

12 Likes

That was such a fun last day! Till the end anyway! Thanks for sharing :blush:

Great report - thanks for sharing!

That was an awesome report - so fun to read! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

Brilliant trip report, really enjoyed reading it. Any plans to go back?

Great report, thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to be able to write my own in six months!

Right now, we really don’t want to go back until Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is open. So maybe in a couple years. But we were also thinking about London next, so that could put a delay in our next Disney adventure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can always combine London with Euro Disney! We have a few theme parks here too, but not in the same league as WDW

This makes me want to eat at Cinderella’s castle, even though my kids have no interest in princesses.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had not thought about EuroDisney.

1 Like