Our Day by Day Trip Report - The trip that came just in time

I decided to do a trip report here as opposed to sharing our trip on Facebook this year. Honestly, we don’t need the drama or the criticism that comes with taking a trip in the middle of a pandemic. But a little background will help to understand why this trip couldn’t have come at a better time.

This is an annual Disney Sisters Trip for me and my older sister. Yes, we are in our 40s, but Disney is our happy place. This year started as a plan in Feb, with tickets and resort booked before the pandemic. Come Sept 4th and here we are. After just recently watching our one remaining grandparent, our maternal grandmother diagnosed and quickly decline into the depths of dementia, we’ve spent the entirety of the pandemic worrying about “not getting her sick”. We’ve had to really step in and take care of her when time allows, as our mother is in no better health than her mother. To top things off, one of my best of friends (also a friend to my sister) was diagnosed with brain cancer in the midst of the pandemic. Two weeks before we were to leave, that friend passed away. As devastating as it is to lose a friend, my only regret is that I never got the chance to see her one more time before she passed (stupid pandemic). The final kicker was when 6 days later, only one week ago today, my dog passed away. This wasn’t just the family dog…she was my tag along, my best friend, my couch buddy, my snuggler. Granted, she was old (14 yrs), but I didn’t think it was her time yet. I wasn’t ready for that, especially after everything else that 2020 has brought to our doorstep.

So when I say this trip is needed, I couldn’t emphasis that point more. It IS NEEDED! And here we are, sitting at KCI, watching the sun rise over the vast (and empty) airfield. I’m ready Disney…be our happy place!

P.S. I promise the rest of this trip report will be more positive, but the background was needed, even if just allowing me to vent for a brief moment. Until Orlando…:slight_smile:

39 Likes

Safe travels!! Looking forward to following along.

1 Like

Hugs- what a year :(- yes sounds so needed. I hope you enjoy every moment!

Have a great trip! Have fun!

2 Likes

Hugs, sorry for your losses in this horrible year. I hope the trip is extra magical!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss and responsibilities. Thank you for sharing your report – safe travels to you and your sister: you will be there soon!

2 Likes

thanks for sharing your story. i hope the trip provides some healing. enjoy the time with your sister! safe travels!

2 Likes

I feel the same way about our upcoming UOR trip! We normally post all kinds of photos and check-ins on FB when we go to WDW/Universal. But not this time… We understand the risks, and we will quarantine when we get back.

Enjoy your trip!!

4 Likes

So sorry for all you have been through this year. That is quite the burden thrown at you in a short time. I truly hope this trip serves as a good distraction and source of happiness for you. Be safe, and I look forward to following along!

1 Like

Hi @chails
So glad you decided to share your trip report here!!
Sorry about all the challenges and sadness the year has brought you.
Definitely a need-to-go for you and your sister. Wonderful that you are able to make the trip happen in these strange days.
Safe travels!! Looking forward to following along!!
Wondering…KCI??? Could there be another Liner living so close here in Fly-Over country? I’m also a KC metro resident… :grin:
Have ALL THE FUN!!!

3 Likes

So Disney Springs post pandemic is much slower than I expected. Oh, well. Enjoying it while we can…and some poutine for lunch!

9 Likes

Yes, hi fellow KC Disney fan!

1 Like

Im so sorry for your losses! My pets are my family too. I completely understand! U NEED this trip! Im so excited for yall and cant wait to tag along :grin:

Ummm, this appears to be a very controversial choice in other thread :rofl::rofl::rofl: sorry, couldnt resist. Carry on…

4 Likes

:wave::wave:

1 Like

Florida weather strikes again. Hope it stops before our 4:45 ADR at Morimotos. We’re a ways off…

8 Likes

Sad trombones. Hope it passes soon!!!

2 Likes

And just like typical FL, the rain is gone. Yeah!

6 Likes

And just like that, it’s back again. At least this time we are covered up waiting for our table.

8 Likes

I just looked at Accuweather, looks like yall have a pretty bad storm moving through for the next 1.5 hrs. or so. Stay safe!