Optimizing and Best Practices

I’m coming up on my 60-day mark this week :grinning:, and I’ve been working on my PTPs. I used TP for our last trip to WDW, and it was really helpful.

I believe last time, for the most part, I simply selected three of the FPPs that TP suggested and tried to reserve them for as close to the suggested times as possible.

However, in going through it this time, I was wondering if it would be better to figure out my FPPs individually rather than collectively.

For example, I would select one FPP from my PTPs (maybe the first one suggested on the list), then I would add that FPP to my plans as though I had already reserved it, then I would re-optimize to allow the system to figure out the best suggestion for my second FPP. I would do the same thing for my second and third FPPs respectively.

It seems like the adjusted wait time for my first FPP attraction selected could potentially affect the recommended order of attractions surrounding it and subsequently affect the time of day suggested for my second FPP.

(I hope this makes sense. I feel like I’m playing chess and trying to figure out all the possible moves after I make my move.)

On the other hand, does it really matter? Is this method a waste of time and would it be better just to use the TPs as a rule-of-thumb rather than trying to narrow it down so specifically?

Definitely not a waste of time, if you believe the author of this post: Making Optimized Personalized Touring Plans with FastPass+

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the link to your post. I remember reading it when I first joined TP, but since I was still new to using the system, the little details must not have clicked with me. It sounds like we’re on the same page with optimizing in between the selections

You are absolutely correct. Your best bet is to do an iterative process.
From a gestalt point of view, I’ve been best off when I could get the busiest attractions at the busiest time of day for FPP (e.g. 7DMT 11 am PP 12 pm, Splash 1 pm), thereby freeing up the time from 8 am until 11 am to do other headliners that will be walk-on in the morning but get longer later in the day.
For example, our typical personalized plan does the park counterclockwise from RD until around 12 - Space, Buzz, TS, WtP, Dumbo, UtS, HM, BTMRR, POTC, Jungle Cruise, then return counterclockwise for high-demand FPP (PP, Princess meet, ETwB starting at around 11:30) and short-wait attractions - Swiss family, TSI, carousel, IASW, Philharmagic, Peoplemover, MILF.

2 Likes

I got everything set up prior to seeing your reply, but in going back through my plans it looks like I essentially have scheduled them as you recommended – with the busiest attractions in the middle of the day and hitting other headliners during the first few hours. Thanks for the confirmation on the wisdom of planning with this method.

Now if I can just figure out my other dilemma.

50 points to Gryffindor for proper use of “gestalt” on the Internetz.

4 Likes

And 25 points for the use of “iterative.”

3 Likes