Optimize or Evaluate

We will be headed to Disney world in June for our very first trip, we will be traveling with 2 very excited girls. I have spent a long time planning :slight_smile: We created a personal touring plan and made our fast pass reservations and dinning reservations based off of that. My question is once in the parks when is the best time (situation) to use optimize VS. evaluate. For instance… we finish a ride and need to stop for a quick snack and restroom break that is not in our plan how to I get us back on track? Optimize or evaluate…both…not really sure when and how to use these 2 options…Thanks

Well it depends on how you want to approach it.

Optimize looks at what is left in your plan and reorganizes it from the perspective of when is each ride’s wait time expected to be lowest and puts it in the most logical order to save you wait time. Even if that means each ride is across the park from one another.

Evaluate simply looks at what you have left in the order you have it and recalculates the wait times based on any new information it has. That could be changes in hours, longer/shorter wait times than expected so far in the day, etc…

Because I hate walking back and forth across the park we made our plans, optimized them, and then i moved things around into a more logical order grouping areas together and evaluated. From there I adjusted the order one by one if there was an especially long wait. Using that plan I could determine the best use of my FPP. Once we had that in order I never changed them again. Because even if going from splash to space mountain and then back to BTMRR would save me 20 mins in overall wait times the walking back and forth just wasn’t something we wanted to do.

If you don’t mind the criss crossing then optimizing after each ride will direct you to the one with the lowest wait time based on what’s left on your list.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Dr. @brklinck has a great thread to get you started. In your example, optimize should update your plan but might, in fact, change your next attractions’ lineup. Example: pre-break you were hitting Peter Pan, Small World and Haunted Mansion. An optimization might move things so you are now doing HM, PP and iasw. Evaluate leaves everything as it is, same order, just updates times.

Did I explain that right, Bryan?

1 Like

Since it is our first time to Disney I am not really sure what attractions are close together however traveling with a 6 year old and an 8 year old I anticipate less walking is probably best. If our TP says walk time 9 minutes is that based off crowd level ect? How do I know how far that would be? We have a few 9 and 10 minute walk times however most are less than that.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with the walking pace and minimize wait or minimize walking sliders. I would make sure the sliders are on at least “relaxed” and minimize walking.

The minimize walking slide really works well. I’ve been playing with one of my plans today and Optimize had me walking all over Fantasyland in no discernible order. When I slide it to “minimize walking”, suddenly everything fell into place.

As far as what is close to where, I’d suggest opening a second browser window and opening up a good map of whichever park you are planning for. That should help you visualize lands and what you want to do in which order.

1 Like

If you scroll down on the page with your plan it will show you a map with each of your attractions numbered. You can use that to determine location and see where you might want to swap a ride or with another that is closer.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. There’s that, too. Thanks, Outer!

The walking speed slider really works, too. The time between attractions on my test plan changes by 2 to 3 minutes between minimum and maximum speed. Over the course of the day that adds up!

1 Like

When in the park, I’m a big fan of leaving the plan alone and only re-optimizing if I get significantly off target. In my experience during the course of the day you sometimes get ahead of plan and sometimes fall behind plan, but overall you usually hit the target.

3 Likes