One parent two tweens

I will be at WDW with my 10 and 12 year old for two weeks in early May. The ten year old will want to ride several things that the 12 year old definitely won’t. There will be some rides I ride with him and some I won’t want to ride either. Is the best approach for us all to stand in line and then just put him on the ride? Is there a place for my daughter and I to exit? Do they have an age minimum on riding alone? Would the single rider line be best to use? (I do plan on getting Genie+ several days. I assume we will all need to make a reservation if standing in line even if we don’t end up riding?)

We all stood together in line when my kids rode and DH and I didn’t. There are chicken exits, which we utilized at ToT and RnRC. My kids are 13, 13 and 9 and no one questioned it.

3 Likes

It’s fine to stand in line together and not all ride at the end (it’s called a chicken exit - although that might not be the technical term :laughing:). Just be aware that in some instances the rider will be done and out before the non riders make their way out (ToT for example), so make sure you agree in advance where to meet at the end.

1 Like

Good point. Thank you,

1 Like

Do you foresee any issues with them letting the 10 year old ride alone if we accompany him to the boarding area?

No, the age to ride alone is 7.

1 Like

No, riders can ride on their own if they are 7 years old or older.

1 Like

Wonderful news! Thank you. This was one of my biggest worries.

1 Like

The last trip I did w/ both kids back in 2018, ds was 12yo and he isn’t a thrill ride person. We would go to wherever the exit was, scope out a waiting spot, then all get in line together. Ds would opt for the chicken exit and dd and I would ride. Ds had his phone and would play games on it in the designated spot until dd and I joined him.

I will add that ds was only by himself for the time it took for dd and I to actually ride. He was generally annoyed that we interrupted his playing of whatever game he was knee deep in.

1 Like

This is such a great idea. Some of the exits are in unexpected places.

Everyone having a phone is good too.

eta if your solo rider doesn’t mind being in line solo, and the wait is short maybe the two of you will wait at the exit.

1 Like