One Mom's Trash ... is a Son's Treasure

Very cool. I went for the first time in early 1983 when I was in kindergarten. The memories are pretty fuzzy, but I remember going on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Skyway before they were gone forever. Alas, I don’t believe I got any silk flowers or tobacco on Main Street.

1 Like

As has every aspect of a Disney vacation. :weary:

2 Likes

Not at all! I loved it too! It felt like an adventure riding the ferry out to the little island.

1 Like

@quicha is correct. In the original, it is clear that IASW is denoted as possibly being too intense for small children. Maybe back then there was a detour in IASW that led into Alien Encounter.

2 Likes

Here is the Contemporary Resort ID Card. You apparently needed to show it before boarding the Monorail and Ferry Boats.

I remember being so excited when my brother and I got a chance to ride in the front car of monorail with the driver. It was so cool! I can’t remember when they stopped allowing kid to ride in front.

5 Likes

Think I could mail this form in for an ADR? I also included the article on pricing. Buffet breakfast with the characters at the Terrace Cafe at the Contemporary (early pre-curser to Chef Mickey’s) was $5.50 per adult and $3.75 per child. And “Reservations are not necessary.”

As I recall, we went to the Terrace Cafe breakfast a number of times. I have photos of little me with Chip, Dale and Pluto at breakfast. I also remember the odor, a mix of greasy bacon and french toast.

5 Likes

You sure about that? Dumbo, the carousel, and many other mild attractions have that blue *. Only a couple, Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc have the pink one. And the indication for the pink one is special effects that may be scary. I don’t see anywhere that says what the blue means, but I can’t believe that dumbo is considered to have scary special effects.

I found it. The blue * indicates attractions where someone in a wheelchair can be lifted from the wheelchair and onto the ride.

3 Likes

@heidelj @quicha I stand corrected. I just searched through the guide again. @heidelj is right. The pink asterisk is for the “scary” rides. The blue asterisk indicates that “small children in strollers or partially mobile guests in wheelchairs may be lifted by parents or responsible companions into and out of these attractions.”

1 Like

I see you found the same thing while I was typing my reply.

1 Like

I found it interesting which attractions apparently were not accessible at all for someone in a wheelchair. Skyway makes sense, since it was one-way and the wheelchair couldn’t be left behind. Space Mountain doesn’t have the asterisk, so I’m not sure if they didn’t allow anyone in a wheelchair to board? It seems like there may have been stairs to get to the boarding area, so that might be the problem on that one. The People Mover kind of surprised me. Was there always a moving ramp to get up to the loading area? Maybe it was stairs, or maybe they didn’t trust people to not send a wheelchair rolling back down it.

1 Like

Our family took one of those railroad portraits back in the day. We all had the old-timey clothing (top hat, bonnets, etc.).

Is there anything similar at the parks these days?

Well, for the record, I find IaSW terrifying…

2 Likes

You mean these?

3 Likes

Nope, like this with a guard to keep a mustache dry.

2 Likes

Keep it coming. I love the history of the parks. People think I am a Disney nut, but in reality I am only a Disney Park nut. The rest of it (movies etc.) is not that big a deal to me.

2 Likes

My friends and I rode up front with the driver in 2000 when I was in college…

1 Like

That’s a Bat-mug right there Jason! Nana nana nana nana Batmaaaaaan!

2 Likes

Batman did NOT have a mustache!

‘Course he did!
3B084558-FF5C-43E4-8D74-01FB56297367 8C615A6A-320A-4C05-922A-FFF7FFE956F9

5 Likes