One Mom's Trash ... is a Son's Treasure

My Mom called me a couple days ago …

Mom: I was cleaning through the basement and found a folder of stuff from our Disney World trip in 1982. Should I throw it out?

Me: Noooooo. I want that stuff.

Mom: Ok, I will drop it off next time I’m at your house.

Well, she dropped it off yesterday. I think some of the stuff is pretty cool so I wanted to share some photos (see below posts).

10 Likes

Ok … How do I get the photos to show up in my post without anyone having to download from links? I have a bunch of other photos to post.

1 Like

Will leave technical questions to others but PDF links worked for me. Super cool, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I post them straight from my phone and they show up.

Great pics - I love seeing really old stuff.

2 Likes

When you scan, save them as .jpg instead of pdf. Also, when you scan, the is usually a little curved arrow to let you rotate them right- side up and then save, so that they aren’t upside down later.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Interesting that you could not bring food into the park at that time. I thought it was also neat to read all the descriptions of the main street shops. I died laughing when I saw the ‘tobacconist’ shop though as it conjured up the old Monty Python sketches for me. :laughing: Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool!

2 Likes

I love it!! 1982 was the year I first visited WDW.

1 Like

Thanks @heidelj for the technical help. Here are JPEG’s from Your Guide to the Magic Kingdom. I love the map showing 20,000 Leagues, the longer Speedway track, and the Skyway. The last page with the ad for borrowing a Polaroid was funny … a long way from MM.

12 Likes

I love the old 80s maps, I was there the first time around 82 or 83 so I remember looking at those.

You know what really stands out to me: the locations on the map where payphones were located. Were people really making a lot of calls from Disney back then? I was too young to notice, but that just seems crazy! With cell phones now when you can make a call while you wait in line, sure, but were people actually using the old phones much? Maybe it was people with pagers who had to call in to work?

1 Like

We had a character dinner (Goofy, Pluto, Chiop and Dale) at The Golf Resort (now Shades of Green). They gave out these pictures for autographs. What was the price of this character dinner … $12 for adults, $10 for ages 12-18 and $7.50 for under 12. For fun, I ran prices through an inflation calculator and it came to a dinner price for $31.23 for adults, $26.02 for ages 12-18, and $19.52 for under 12 … clearly the price of character meals has gone up way more than inflation!

6 Likes

Yes. I have vivid memories of my Dad using these pay phones often. He had a pager and also a credit card number he would enter into the pay phone for long distance calls.

2 Likes

My brother and I loved Discovery Island and were bummed when it closed. In hindsight, maybe it closed because we were the only ones who loved it.

6 Likes

Fab! We didn’t go till 1992 so things had already changed a bit.

1 Like

And here are the “Tips on Your Visit”. Reservations at the EPCOT restaurants were made morning of at the parks. I recall my parents making EPCOT dining reservations at computer kiosks when we go too the park (not sure if that memory is from 1982 or a later trip).

6 Likes

These are great! Glad your mom asked!

2 Likes

So fabulous! I remember some of these same things from my trips as a child.

1 Like

Who would go to the Magic Kingdom to buy silk flowers??
:thinking:

3 Likes

Wait…IaSW was too intense for small children??? Whaaaaaaat???

2 Likes

I think only the pink * means that, the blue must be something different.

1 Like

No idea, but I had to Google and find out what the moustache cups are at the barber shop.

1 Like