One evening at Disneyland

Hello friends! My mom is going to be at a conference at Disneyland next week. She’ll be staying at the Grand Californian Hotel. Lucky Lady!

She wasn’t going to visit the parks at all, but I have convinced her that Disneyland is a MUST DO. She has purchased a one-day park ticket for Thursday and will have from 4:30 to close in Disneyland Park. The park closes at 9 pm on Thursday. That’s not much time, but a few hours is better than nothing.

I found her an ADR for the Fantasmic! dining package at the River Belle Terrace restaurant. This seems like a good idea to me because she’s older, will need to eat, and will probably enjoy Fantasmic. The reservation is for 5:20 and Fantasmic! is scheduled for 7:30 pm that evening. The park closes at 9:00. Does this seem like a good option for her? If I were going, I’d probably choose to skip the restaurant meal so I could have more time to see attractions, but I want her to have a relaxed evening. What do you think? Is there anything I should tell her about the logistics of this dining package and the reserved Fantasmic viewing location?

I’ve made a Touring Plan for her, but I’m kind of working blind since I’ve never been to Disneyland myself. Here’s a link to the plan I’ve made. If anyone local or with lots of Disneyland experience could look at it for me, I’d really appreciate it.

http://touringplans.com/plans/print?id=1225684

I’m thinking she should stay in the area around Adventureland for most of the evening. I want her to see some of the classic attractions. She has no interest in thrill rides. I put “It’s a Small World” at the very end, because it would be a shame for her her miss all of Fantasyland. I’m hoping she’ll at least walk up there and look around before leaving for the night.

What do you think? Does this seem like a good plan? Do you have any suggestions? Does it seem reasonable for a 70-year-old woman who’s very professional, not a fast walker, and slightly disdainful of Disney things? Thanks in advance.

(I’ll tag @93111tink, @Wahoohokie, @Nana2011, @Disneyconsigliere)

2 Likes

Sally I wish I could help you :frowning: – these seem like the best things to do but I barely scratched the surface of Disneyland! (I think I need to go back!)

I assume she isn’t going to do DCA – Carland is really beautiful at night.

3 Likes

I think it looks great but I’m not an expert, just someone who really wants to go, haha.

I see snow whites scary adventures at the end of the plan, fyi. I think she’d like IASW better too

4 Likes

Oh yeah. I had to change it. She thought IASW looked too far to walk. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

how fun! hopefully one of the regulars will tune in.
No Peter Pan? the area around there behind the castle is quite pretty with the carousel, dumbo, and tea cups and mr toad. But Snow white is just near there, so she’ll see the area.

Toontown is really quite sweet too but right at the back, but not a difficult walk. but if she’s not into Disney, probably skip. I loved going into Mickey and Minnie’s house though :smile:

Otherwise looks good. Not sure about the dining, we didn’t do it.

2 Likes

it’s not far from Snow White. maybe 5 min slow pace?
also that walkway is really wide and not congested with people.

1 Like

Peter Pan will be closed for refurbishment next week. Sad.

2 Likes

oh sad! :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh @SallyEppcot!! I am so excited for your mom!! She is going to have so much fun!! I think they just changed the dinning packages up a little and I so want to do the F! at the River Belle. She will love F! Locals call the huge Maleficent dragon that comes out at the end Murphy. Here at DL you are right there front and center to see F!. Some places you even get wet. It is so beautiful. Only thing that bugged me was the glow with the show mickey ears. While nice to look at they are very distracting when trying to watch the show… I think your plan is great . I also think that she will have time to wonder around and just might make it to Fantasyland after all. When you start walking and looking it doesn’t seem that far at all. Hopefully she won’t miss IASW. Alice is one of my Favorites. Peter Pan always has a huge line. Haunted mansion and Pirates too are ones we try not to miss… She will enjoy herself and the weather is great! She just might surprise you and come home an AP holder!! You will have to keep us updated on how her trip went :blush:

3 Likes

I did give her a list of Fantasyland attractions that I think she’ll like, just in case she has time or chooses to head up there instead of staying near Fantasmic. My list is: It’s a Small World, Alice in Wonderland (but I warned her about the longer lines), Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and the Storybook Land Canal Boats. Maybe I should make an alternative plan for her that’s mostly Fantasyland?

3 Likes

Thanks Tink! I did see your posts on the DLR chat. Thanks for those too. I think she will be surprised by how much she loves it. I wish she’d realized earlier that this conference is actually at Disneyland! She could have added a day before or after the conference. It’s too late now, but she’ll have a taste of Disney.

How horrible is the congestion before and after Fantasmic? It’s a Thursday in February - crowd level 3 - so I’m hoping it won’t be too bad.

2 Likes

The canal boats are quite pretty - my mum would like those, she likes miniature villages. She would also love small world :wink: I think she’d repeat it, quite possibly fastpass it. ha.

2 Likes

Snow white to this day still creeps me out. LOL! Same with Pinocchio. Some of those dark rides are pretty dark. And I’m not talking the lighting… So funny DD and I like Toad’s Wild ride but she always complains how hot it is in there. I think you ride though Hell so yeah I think it will be hot! But it is fun. Tea cups …No. Can’t do that one anymore. Last time saw a boy getting ready to throw up and his mom opened her purse and had him throw up into it!! I thought WOW. Yeah that was the last time…

1 Like

Oooo…good points. I haven’t been to DLR, so I didn’t realize Snow White and Pinocchio would be super dark. My mom won’t like hot things either. I should ask her if she wants me to swap out some other things on the plan for the canal ride and IASW. She would probably love those.

2 Likes

I Think it should be good. I usually hang around for a bit to let most of the people get moving.

2 Likes

Yes Canal Ride is a good nice relaxing ride. I know they just added the Frozen Village to it too. Waiting until April to see it in person.

2 Likes

I think the canal ride would be a winner for a senior

2 Likes

[quote=“SallyEppcot, post:4, topic:9780”]
She thought IASW looked too far to walk[/quote]

Disneyland is tiny compared with the Magic Kingdom, with nothing really that far away from anything else. It can be a little tricky to navigate, though, as some paths back in New Orleans Square/Adventureland don’t connect the way I was expecting them too (I shoulda studied a little harder before my first visit).

Glad your mom’s seeing Fantasmic, as it’s so much better in Disneyland, as is Pirates. I’d consider making time for the castle walkthrough (unless steps are an issue), since that’s unique to Disneyland. I like the idea of seeing the Canal Boats, too. To make time, I’d skip the Tiki room, since you can see a similar show in Florida. The Jungle Cruise is also an acquired taste, but you’ll know better than we will whether it’s something your mom is likely to enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks @FlyerFan1973. She’s not THAT elderly, so I’m sure she’ll be fine. She’s 68, still works full time and has some health issues, but I think she’ll be fine. It’s nice to know that it’s more compact than I’m thinking.

She’s never been to any Disney park, other than one day at WDW in 1986. She’s very confused by my interest in such things. She’d rather go to a symphony concert or an art exhibit than go anywhere near Disney. But she’s going to be there anyway, so she might as well try it! I think if she had all day, I’d probably suggest a wider variety of attractions. With only 4.5 hours, a meal and Fantasmic, there just won’t be that much time. I really hope she has fun.

(The castle will be closed next week for the anniversary refurb, by the way.)

1 Like

I think my parents went to Disneyland when they went to California. My mom went to WDW 10 times and my father 8 times. I want to take my my mom to WDW in December to see Christmas display.

2 Likes