One Day in MK for a young first timer

Starting to work on finalizing ride choices and putting together a TP for a day in MK with my family in January.

Purpose of the trip is the 2 year olds first trip to Disney. We are just going for a long weekend and spending one day in MK and one in AK.

Keeping the two year old (will be three in May) in mind. This is what I’m looking at so far (not in this order - list is from a spreadsheet I use)

Barnstormer
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (FP)
Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tales with Belle (FP)
Happily Ever After
It’s a Small World
Mad Tea Party
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Cinderella & Elena at Princess Fairytale Hall (FP)
Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
Rapunzel and Tiana at Princess Fairytale Hall
Mickey’s PhilharMagic
Once Upon a Time
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (PPO w/ BOG ADR)
Splash Mountain (if she makes height)
Swiss Family Treehouse (At Request by the TYO’s Dad)
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover (thinking of this as an enjoyable rest ride)
Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room (Family Fave)

Thoughts on things you would cut. Thoughts on things I’ve overlooked?

We are staying off property so will not go back to our AirBNB for a break, but we are planning on a 2 hour break taking the ferry to WL to eat at Geyser Point for a late lunch/early dinner.

Overall looks great! We took our youngest at that age and it was so fun to experience the park through her eyes. I think SDMT will be too intense? I doubt they’ll be tall enough for Splash. I would add Peter Pan and maybe cut ETWB but it’s fine if you choose to keep it. Otherwise, looks like a solid list of experiences. Have fun!

2 Likes

Great list! I would add the Magic Carpets. Our girls loved that ride and the spitting camels.

1 Like

Sadly PPF will be closed for refurb :sob:

She’s pretty tall so I think will actually make 40” by Jan.

I’ve definitely ruled out some things despite the fact that she might meet height requirements. However I’m currently keeping Splash and 7DMT with some hesitation…

I’ve ridden both but it’s been a couple years. She rode Woodstock Express in Cedar Point Ohio which, according to stats, is a few feet taller than 7DMT but about 8 mph faster. Splash is only about 6 feet taller than the roller coasters she rode in Ceder Point but it is a fair bit faster. Would be curious to hear feedback from people who have taken little ones on either of these two.

She is a self-proclaimed roller coaster lover so I know will want to ride when she sees them - particularly 7DMT.

1 Like

Curious was no ETWB? I had this listed as a must do. Have you had poor experiences?

It’s okay, but our 9 yo said she would be fine if we didn’t do it next time. When we went when she was two she just happened to be asleep when the rest of the kids in the group went about 10pm one night. So she might have loved it then if she’s been awake!:joy: since you don’t have ppf, I probably would go ahead and do it. I don’t know if she’ll be old enough for a part or not, but if not, she could still get in the line at the end for a picture.

My kids have loved ETWB and it’s so well done. All kids of any age who want to participate get parts.
Sounds like you have a great plan. Enjoy!

What about Jungle Cruise and Magic Carpets–I think both would be hits with that age.

Will Tomorrowland Speedway be closed already? I know it’s closing but not sure when (it was still open yesterday :slight_smile: ) if open still when you go, add that too.

The attractions in your list look good to me. My 3.5 y/o would not be able to handle the intensity of 7DMT or Splash yet, but from your posts, it sounds like your child thrives on those kinds of rides. That said, every kid is different is terms of stamina for the day, but your list seems like a lot to accomplish in 1 day with a 2.5 year old. Are you planning on going from Rope Drop through the end of Happily Ever After with just the 2 hour late lunch/early dinner break?

This is very easy to pickup as a 4th, 5th, 6th FP. I would consider booking a FP for another attraction that usually does not have great same day availability.

1 Like

Similar thought, my 4yo was not crazy about 7DMT, a bit too rough for him, but if your young one is into rollercoasters, she might enjoy it. It’s a lot smoother than Thunder Mountain so in that sense better. as for Barnstormer - neither of my kids were crazy about it, it’s a very choppy ride.

Otherwise, I also agree that it’s a lot to do in one day if you include a long break.

Our DD was 2.5 when she first went on those, and she absolutely loved it! I reckon your DD will too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

She does love animals, but we are doing AK on day 2 so that’s why Jungle Cruise got the axe. It is such a potentially long wait for something that I’m not sure will be a particularly unique experience for her yet.

1 Like

That is the current plan. She did well open to close with a break for dinner and some stroller napping when we were at an amusement park last summer. Hoping that will be the case this time since we are off property and it won’t be as easy to go back. She is currently a pretty reluctant napper -just does more of a quiet time thing, doesn’t actually sleep.

My sister (she’s actually the mom, I’m just the planning auntie) and I are also hoping that with two days and the second day being AK that we’ll be okay. I’d be more concerned about no break if we needed her to last for a whole week.

Looks good to me. Barnstormer and Philharmagic would be the first I’d drop if short on time.

1 Like

Think I’m dropping philharmagic. That’s a solid half hour that we can get back and I don’t think it will be terribly missed.

Barnstormer often has an extremely long wait, even when the line looks relatively short. This is because the ride capacity is so low. So, I’d consider dropping it if you are running short on time.

1 Like

Agreed on barnstormer. Not much theming and painful for adults. But you can often pick it up as a 4th or 5th FPP (also dumbo, wtp, under the sea easy to get extra ones in the afternoon and evening). Try to spend time watching the castle stage show that runs through the day if possible.

Yes this! My niece and nephew wanted to ride this one over and over. FP were available to do that!

I like this idea of putting it off. The family doesn’t have any real interest in it particularly. We just know that if she sees it she is going to want to ride it.

Perhaps blinders are an option :joy::joy::joy::joy: