On A Whim "Disney Snobs" - Pre-Trip Report

BACKSTORY: First of all, we aren’t really “snobs”… but we do love all the frills and magic that Disney provides! We visit once a year and have stayed Deluxe for the last 3 years by renting DVC points. Our last trip was in March. We actually had to leave our room at Poly a day early due to the parks shutting down! Ever since we left, we have felt like we just didn’t our full Disney fix. So, on a whim last week, we decided to book something and make the 10 hour drive back to Orlando on Nov. 20-25. We originally booked a room at AOA but after much pondering, we moved our stay to the Yacht Club. We love that area and we really weren’t excited about the hustle and bustle at AOA. I hope we don’t regret this!!!

GROUP: Me, My mom, DS 13, DS 11, DD 7
This will be the 6th trip of just my mom, myself and the kiddos. We leave the guys at home!!!
Note: My kids care nothing about resort theming which was something else that steered our decision to move resorts. They do love storm along bay! We actually told the kids that we are staying “value” and won’t tell them any different until we arrive. They are going to be thrilled!

PLAN:
Friday: Travel
Leave EARLY…Drive 10 hours and arrive at Yacht Club around 2ish. Right now, I have reservations at Boathouse for 3:45 but I hope to modify for a little later. Boathouse was one of the ADRs that we missed due to Disney shutting down in March so we wanted to eat there first.

Saturday: Hollywood Studios
Lunch ADR at Mama Melrose 11:50. My boys are big Star Wars fans so I’m hopeful to score a ROTR boarding pass. We actually rode it in march and got boarding pass 2 then! eeryone in the group is thrill ride junkie so TOT and Rockin Roller are MUST DOs! Mickey and Minnie’s runaway is on the list too but it will be ok if we skipped. We didn’t love it in March. We want to try Docking Bay 7 for supper.

Sunday: Magic Kingdom
Lunch ADR at Skipper Canteen at 1:05. We love it and it was also one we missed out on in March.

Monday: Animal Kingdom
No plans this day. We will definitely will eat at Yak & Yeti. Not sure if it will be lunch or supper yet. We also love Santuli. We have Ale and Compass ADR for supper but not sure we will keep it. This is one of our favorite parks!

Tuesday: Epcot
Lunch ADR at Teppan Edo at 1:00. This will be a first time for us! We plan to eat aroung the world for supper.

I am looking forward to a less “planned” trip but am also a little nervous about just winging it! We are used to park hoppers and the dining plan! That will be a big change for us. We are not doing refillable mugs this trip and plan to bring some drinks with us. This will be our first trip without a stroller! We took one in March for my then 6 year old but she hardly ever needed it. We mostly just used it to store our things… I’m considering a backpack but we really travel very lightly and I don’t feel like we ever take much in the parks.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences about our plans so far! Especially reviews of yacht club!

17 Likes

Sounds like a fun trip!

2 Likes

Welcome!

Sounds like it’s going to be an amazing trip!

I think you are going to enjoy winging it and I’m looking forward to following along on your adventures!

2 Likes

Fun times ahead! I love it!

We always take a small backpack with us (and my DD’s are 17 and 20!) with water bottles, bandaids, sunscreen, mini umbrella, ponchos, snacks, etc. We take turns carrying it. It’s nice to not always be carrying something, but I couldn’t manage without a water bottle!

2 Likes

Anything I have to offer is certainly outdated by a few years at least. What I will offer though is that the Yacht Club is amazing. The proximity to both parks is the best by far, I only wish park hopping was still a thing so you could fully appreciate having both so close by. We would often start at one, switch to the other for a few attractions or meals and head back to the first.

I also think you’ll like Teppan Edo and eating around the world. I have a ton of really good hibachi nearby at home so it’s not something I go out of my way to plan when I’m there, but the one time I went, the food was good and the “show” was as Disney as they could make it.

I love that you are going with just your mom and the kids, and I think the less planned approach will be fine with the kids as old as they are. Especially being confined to one park a day, having options will be nice. I found that when I planned the heck out of a trip, we mostly blew everything off and played it by ear. It was very freeing.

And speaking of freeing, YAY to no more strollers! I almost skipped down Main Street not having to worry about if I’ll fit in between crowds and having to return for the mad stroller search every time we got off an attraction. Ah…who am I kidding? I TOTALLY skipped down Main Street anyway. And I ran from attraction to attraction. It was a combination of “Singing in the Rain” and “Sound of Music” all up in MK that morning.

Have THE BEST time!

4 Likes

T -40 days!!! I’m a teacher and we have Fall Break on Monday and Tuesday of this week! I plan to use this time to take inventory of my Disney attire! I still haven’t been able to move my Boathouse reservation on arrival day to a later time😬 but I’m hoping something opens up. I’ve got my “alerts” set so I’m just impatiently😜 waiting. And look what popped up on memories from 6 years ago

5 Likes

So the ending of F&W has complicated my plans! We are scheduled to be at MK on 11/22 which is the last day of the festival. I already have Skipper Canteen booked for lunch. We aren’t scheduled to be at Epcot until 11/24 and there will be no special festivities going on then. We do have ADR at Teppan Edo that day. I know some people don’t think it is a “must do” but my son loves hibachi and it is something we have been wanting to try. I could switch my park passes for those two day but is it worth giving up my adrs to be at F&W the last day of the festival?? I’m also worried that the crowd level on a Sunday and the last day of F&W would be bad. Decisions, decisions???

24 days out… time is really starting to pass quickly! My magic bands shipped today so it won’t be long now!!! I’ve been thinking and rethinking my ADRs. There is so much good food in Disney. I need to make a few final decisions and cancel some of my reservations. I’m still hoping to get something at Homecomin’ and Yak & Yeti. We do have a Landry’s card for Yak & Yeti but I like to have a reservation also… it just looks good when I look at “my plans” to have a set time. I haven’t nailed down a rope drop plan for each park either.

1 Like

Was able to snag a few more dining reservations this morning! Now to decide which ones to give up…

Arrival day:
Check in at Yacht Club around 2:00

Dinner options:
Boathouse 3:45
Ale & Compass 5:20
Homecomin 6:45

I was able to book Ale & Compass and Boathouse for dinner on 2 other nights so I’m really thinking about doing Homecomin’ on arrival day!

3 Likes

Down to the single digits!

9 Likes

I know this report has been pretty boring so far… but we are down to hours!!! We will leave at 3am Friday morning. I’m still not completely packed. I have to work all day today, my son has baseball tryouts after school, and I need to run to grocery and pick up some road trip snacks… CHAOS!!!

I thought I would share something that has helped make our 10 hour drive more pleasant. I did this on our last trip in March and my kids have asked if we could do it again. I ran by Dollar Tree while my kid was at gymnastics yesterday (ALWAYS ON THE GO) and grabbed a plastic box with lid and lots of “surprise” toys and things that could be played with in the car. I think I spent $23 and got enough JUNK for 3 kids! Since we leave so early (and two of the three need Dramamine for the car ride), they usually sleep for several hours. I made the deal that every hour they were awake and well behaved, I’d pass them a “surprise”… it may be a candy treat or a small toy. Crossing my fingers that it keeps them occupied this time, too! Of course, we have movies loaded on the Ipads as well.

I’m so READY (but not really) to go!!!

7 Likes

Your excitement is infectious! You’re going to have the greatest time! What did you decide on MK/EP day with the F&W?

I ended up just keeping my days the same. I was worried about the crowds that “the last day” draws. I still plan to EAT MY WAY AROUND THE WORLD!!!

1 Like

I am a big fan of Homecomin (and Boathouse!). If you can’t find a good Boathouse time through Disney, they also offer times on Open Table and we’ve found them to be more plentiful there (not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet!).

2 Likes

We made it!!! It’s so pretty here at Yacht Club. I think Epcot resorts will always be my favorite. We are going to chill out at the resort until supper at Ale & Compass. We love the view from our room

16 Likes

Lovely!

Wow!

Waking up at 6:30 am on a “relaxing” vacation to score a boarding pass is what dreams are made of, right?

Boarding Group: 53

We plan to leave YC about 8:45 and walk to Hollywood Studios. I’m really undecided about which ride to head to first! Maybe I’ll let the kids decide…but I doubt it. As of now everyone is still snoozing!

I’ll give a full report on our Ale & Compass supper last night along with today’s trip report this evening!

10 Likes

Hope your having a great day!

2 Likes