Okay, Enablers, tell me if you think I’m crazy....plus a poll!

!!! I decided on AK for the 12th and MK for the 13th!!! If you see a solo woman in a puddle of tears while her children wreak havoc around her, it’s me! Say hi!! (And I won’t even begrudge you an “I told you so!”)

8 Likes

If I see you I will offer to watch your kids for 10 minutes so you can go to the bathroom in peace. :laughing:

11 Likes

Your post reminded me of the one “what am I going to do” moment on that trip…to get from WL after dinner and trick-or-treat back to Pop we rode a bus from WL to HS and then caught Skyliner back to Pop. Both girls fell sound asleep on the bus. As we approached HS I had an asleep toddler, a folded stroller, a couple of bags and a sleepy 6yo to unload. Tried to figure out best scenario…leave toddler and unload stroller first? Vice versa? But it was Disney and a kindly stranger carried my stroller out and opened it for me. All good! It will work out!

3 Likes

Only you know yourself and your family best, but as a parent of two toddlers… well, a baby and a toddler, 19 mo apart… I’m solidly in the “no, you’re crazy” camp. I have an amazingly helpful and engaged partner and I can’t imagine doing much of any parenting thing without him, especially not such a big thing as Disney. I think you definitely could I would just seriously consider if you want to. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. But trip report if you decide to go! :laughing:

3 Likes

Ohp! You decided. I should’ve finished reading the thread before posting. You’ll have a blast!

1 Like

LOL, for me the memory I hold dearest of that trip is them falling asleep on top of me on the bus on the way back from MK to AllStar Music. Then I had to figure out how in the heck I was going to carry them both while opening the stroller and putting them in. I think the bus driver did help me. But it’s been a decade. I will say as the mom of two teens who cringe at the thought of snuggling now that memory is pretty sweet but at the time I was just like how I am supposed to accomplish this?

3 Likes

I’d rather be someone’s Dole Whip with Rum than anyone’s plain 'ole ice cream. =)

1 Like

I totally think you can do this! It will be tricky, frustrating and exhausting at times but will be worth it when you see how happy they are. I always forget that the littles think the characters are really real. My DS3 still talks about going to “mickeys house” last year. He and I did the parks solo (while I was 11wks preggers) while my husband was at a conference.

If you need stroller help, ask for it! Most people are traveling as families and know what it’s like to need an extra set of hands for a sec.

My only piece of advice would be to remember that it takes a looooong time to get back to the resorts for nap time unless you are staying someplace walkable. It would take ~30 mins to exit the park itself, then travel to the resort, then get back to the room etc would be over an hour since the decision to leave was made. I mistimed it the first couple days and ended up with a 2.5 yo napping on the bus then refusing a real nap. Naturally, when I had planned for him to nap in the stroller at AK so I could walk the trails in a leisurely fashion, he refused the nap and was a fussy fuss bucket all afternoon. Toddlers. Sheesh.

2 Likes

Another one I can’t help. Too easy of a set up.

1 Like

I used to think traveling with two toddlers was hard but now I have four kids 8 and under and I would love to take a break with only two of them! :joy:

Anyway, you know your kids and your capacity to help them better than anyone. Other than the airport, you probably have an idea how it will go based on your weekend trips. Airports are tough with little kids. Especially getting through security without one of them storming through the metal detector barriers unattended while you’re emptying the diaper bag! But if you can make it through that part (and the TSA agents are typically forgiving though not helpful) that’s probably the hardest part of the whole trip.

6 Likes

Yep. I remember this from when I brought my daughter at 2.5. I’ve built plans on our MK days to walk to the contemporary for late lunch for me - my son will likely sleep in the stroller on the walk there. On our AK day, we’ll power through until about 1 or 2 and then head back to the hotel for pool time in the afternoon ‘cause there’s no chance of getting a nap at the hotel on 9-5 hours at AK.

1 Like

You just reminded me of when we flew with our kids in 2007. They were one, three, five, and seven. We had a double stroller, and four car seats/boosters, and had to change planes. Even with my mother, and Aunt along, it was so much work.

Im clearing TSA, and we were rushing, as much as you can rush, with Littles, and we hear them paging is by name! We were NOT late. We somehow get shoes off, etc., and everyone was behaving so impatiently and I was about to cry thinking we’d miss the plane and the nicest woman ever came over to us in a fancy uniform and said something like, “It’s ok, Mom. It’s fine. Take your time,” as I’m trying to force shoes on kids and I’m barefoot. And she helped us and calmly walked us to the gate and while not really giving info, she just reassured us they wouldn’t go without us. I only realized after we got into the plane that I’d never gotten her name and couldn’t officially thank her. She was an angel in my book.

11 Likes

<3 I love nice people!!

2 Likes

That in turn reminds me of when we arrived at MCO after our last trip to WDW with two toddlers in a double stroller. Checking in at the airline was a nightmare because the airport was being renovated (Resort checkin denied us because one of our kids was randomly flagged to check in in person! Grrr) and we were running late by the time we pulled up to the security line, which wound back and forth through the terminal - the wait said 30 min but I can’t imagine it going that fast.

Thankfully, a worker came up to us and directed us to the disability lane! We were saved. I don’t know if we would have survived otherwise, and we would have been late to our flight.

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out where I might’ve been that I had to change terminals for the same airline on the way home…

1 Like

We flew from Atlanta to our small airport in Russia with a 3-month old and a 2 and 4-yr old. That was almost the longest trip ever. Except a bit later we flew to the States from our little airport in Russia with a 4, 6, and almost 2-yr old and it took 6 airplanes and 60 hours. I think I cried when we finally arrived in Miami (only 4 flights in), aka America and they gave us a hotel for the night and didn’t make us collect our bags even though we’d have a 12-hr layover. Flying with little kids is hard when everything goes perfectly. It’s a million times worse when something goes wrong.

3 Likes

Ive never traveled alone with kids (except the 1 time I evacuated for a hurricane with DD and 3 cats, THAT was an experience, DH and both DSs stayed behind) but I can imagine what would and wouldnt work. Be very, very flexible. I think AK would have more for them. Dont miss the petting zoo! My kids spent 40 mins there alone. Let the kids dictate what they want to do once ur there. Know where all the bathrooms are, definately, lol.

1 Like

I have done this. Zero stars. Do not recommend. :rofl:

7 Likes

Petting zoo is closed, I’m pretty sure. Train is operating but nothing out there to do.

1 Like

Dang, wasnt thinking about that. Let people pet animals! Lol, I still vote for AK :grin:

1 Like