OBNurseNH's Secret Star Wars Viewing Thread

My little Star Wars heart is so happy!

6 Likes

My daughter especially insists how good Guardians is and that I should try it again - Iā€™ve always been a SciFi, guy, but when watching GotG I thought they just packed too much extraneous stuff in scenes and I had to bail out too.

I like individual aspects of the movie and the humor, but it was just too overloaded for me.
Guess one day Iā€™ll give it another shot too.

2 Likes

03843fc0ccc02ff13e93df2480fbe7b4

11 Likes

Does this meme make sense yet @OBNurseNH? :wink::rofl:

I do love this meme. It makes me laugh.
I appreciated the scene at the end of Mando season 1 with the nasty grogu punching stormtroopers on the outskirts of town.

14 Likes

That part I know.

I have no idea what it means, but DH has a shirt with Han on it that says that.

I ā€œknowā€ a lot of stuff that I have no idea what it means.

5 Likes

Probably the most controversial 90s revision was altering the scene with Greedo so that Han no longer shoots first.

My ā€œI shoot firstā€ T has Malcolm Reynolds on it.

1 Like

Controversial for multiple reasons, including:

1. It changes the fact that Han shot first originally, which reveals his character to have a bit of ruthlessness to it, but also willing to protect himself, regardless.
  2. Even if you donā€™t accept the fact that Han WOULD shoot first, to have Greedo shoot and miss is entirely NOT in character with a bounty hunter. A bounty hunter wouldnā€™t miss, particularly at point blank range.
  3. Even if you accept that Han wouldnā€™t shoot first, and that Greedo would miss (likely intentionally so), in a way it makes Han more ruthless, because it means that KNOWING Greedo is merely firing a ā€œwarning shotā€, Han kills him anyway.

All of this is avoided if Lucas had kept it as it should have been, where Han shot first! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I like how it set-up the difference between Han and Luke.
After all, weā€™ve just seen Luke totally misread the cantinaā€™s customers and underappreciate the salutary value of impromptu amputation.

1 Like

Oh wait.

I do know what this means! I just watched that part

(note: add Greedo to list of characters).

Took me a minute.

I donā€™t think Greedo shot at all in what I watched last night. He was a gonner before he knew what hit him.

Should I back up a little? Re watch that?

3 Likes

This thread is amazing. I havenā€™t seen any of the movies either. All of my knowledge of SW comes from the books that Iā€™ve read my kids. I could still appreciate GE with that limited knowledge. I still knew who the characters were etc.

Well if weā€™re getting into detailsā€¦

My least favourite alteration is ghost Hayden Christensen.

I know there are many opinions on watch order, but my personal preference with any franchise is to watch them in cinematic release order.
The changes are very annoying if you watch them in that order because suddenly from out of nowhere young Vader appears. Why does his ghost go young, but Obi Wan doesnā€™t?? If we get ghost Hayden Christensen then we should get ghost Ewen McGregor. If we still have ghost Alec Guinness then we should get ghost dying Vader actor whose name I donā€™t know.

9 Likes

Yes. Totally agree. This change was definitely an odd decision to make, just from a logic perspective.

1 Like

Good for you to finally join the rest of the civilized Star Wars loving world! :grin:

Iā€™ll add a little detail Iā€™ve mentioned before on this forum. When youā€™re watching Return of the Jedi, realize that the Ewoks have killed and probably eaten people before (which is what they were planning to do again). This is why they had clothes for Leia to wear. Cute and cuddly? I think not!

5 Likes

I donā€™t think you need to re watch it.
Sounds like you saw the original sequence.

I am totally with everyone on the Han shot first thing, but devils advocate for a moment on the force ghost issueā€¦

Obi Wan said in RotJ that from a certain perspective what he told Luke about his father was true (that Vader killed Anikan), so using that same logic, the Jedi Knight Anikan Skywalker would come back as a force ghost and look the same as when he ā€œdiedā€.

I hope I didnā€™t need to put a spoiler alert on there for @OBNurseNH

2 Likes

Iā€™ve watched all the movies and I have no idea what most of you are taking about.

@ryan1 I :heart: MCU but GOTG are harder for me to watch. The DLR ride is the best though.

2 Likes

Trouble with this logic is that there was still good in him. And Luke was able to save Anakin. Meaning, Anakin had never died, as Obi-Wan had presumedā€¦

2 Likes

The ghost could be the last time he was a Jedi though regardless of dying or not dying though I think.

2 Likes

Keeping this in spoiler modeā€¦

In the prequels, Qui-Gon Jin was taught how to live beyond the grave from his master (who presumably taught Obi-Wan), and Palpatine also was teaching Anakin the same thing as a Sith. Which means the ability to live on was not something related to Jedis specifically, but something related to the use of the Force. In either case, in the final moments that Darth was alive, he was presumably back to being Anakin. Not sure how he would have not been a Jedi at that point again?

3 Likes

Yes, this really bothered me and didnā€™t make any sense.

David Prowse is his name and he just died last year.

2 Likes