Ohana Bread Pudding Recipe?

I found one online but was wondering if anyone has a tried-and-true one. It’s my fave dessert of all time.

This is from the allears website, and they publish only authentic recipes that people have gotten from the restaurants. Now if the recipe that the restaurant gives out is exactly the way they make it to serve there will always be unknown (like the grandmothers of the world who always left something out so yours would never be as good as theirs). I’ve neither had it at Ohana, nor tried this recipe, so no first hand comments on its “authenticity”…

1 Like

Thank you! If I try it I will report back.

If you like bread pudding this is a family favorite of the white chocolate variety. Living in Louisiana we eat a lot of bread pudding.

White Chocolate Bread Pudding
PREP TIME: 2 Hours
SERVES: 6-8
COMMENT:
Bread pudding is considered the “apple pie” of South Louisiana. Because of our heavy French influence, crusty French bread is in abundance here. Our German population gave us a good supply of milk and eggs, and when combined with leftover bread one of our premier desserts emerged. The addition of white chocolate gussies up this country dish.

INGREDIENTS:

• 9 ounces Bakers white chocolate
  • 3 (10-inch) loaves French bread
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 4 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup sugar

METHOD:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Slice French bread into 1/2 -inch thick round croutons and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg yolks. Using a wire whisk, whip until well-blended and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine whipping cream, milk and sugar. Bring mixture to a low simmer then add white chocolate. Using a wire whisk, stir until chocolate is completely melted. Remove pot from heat and, stirring quickly, add whipped eggs to the cream mixture. Blend thoroughly to keep eggs from scrambling. In a 9" x 13" baking dish, place bread slices in 2 to 3 layers. Pour 1/2 of the cream mixture over the bread, allowing it to soak up most of the mixture prior to adding the rest. Using your fingertips, press the bread gently allowing the cream mixture to be absorbed evenly into the bread. Pour remaining cream mixture over the bread and repeat process. Cover dish with aluminum foil and allow to soak a minimum of 5 hours prior to baking. Bake, covered, for approximately 1 hour then remove foil and bake 45 additional minutes or until top is golden brown. This bread pudding is actually better if chilled in the refrigerator overnight, after baking, then cut into squares and heated in individual portions in the microwave. You may wish to create a white chocolate sauce for topping the bread pudding by combining 8 ounces of melted white chocolate and 3 ounces of heavy whipping cream. This may be done in a double boiler or microwave.

1 Like