Offer Submitted! edit: Again!

You can use any direct or grandfathered points at Riviera.

3 Likes

To add to what @PrincipalTinker said, you could bank &/or borrow those direct points for a stay at Riviera every 2-3 years if you wanted longer than a couple of nights in a studio or 1 night in a 1-bed.

3 Likes

So while I’m waiting another week or so until I hear back from ROFR, I have a random question.

I was stalking the DIS Boards again and found a post by someone (I won’t name names) who by my calculation owns about a $1 million investment in points and rents them out. Can someone explain the economics of this to me? I thought you don’t cover your MF, interest, etc. enough for this to be profitable. Or at least not as good a return as the alternatives.

Profit would be unlikely, but you can break even ( or get real close), no problem.

And if you have enough to drop $1 M in points, you prrrrrobably don’t notice the small percentage of difference in either way. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

If you bought a large amount of points for $70 or $80 dollars a point you can easily rent out enough to cover all dues and if you rent more- you are making money back to your initial cost?

I know a few people that bought just to rent. They actually bought in initially at BLT, BWV, and GFV. They have been renting out those points at $20 a point for the last two years.

There was a confirmed studio listing the other day: July 3-7? It was $554 a night? Oh- did I say SSR? $28 a point

2 Likes

I see, so maybe these are people who stalk for very large contracts at very low prices and perhaps at firesale prices. Still seems like a lot of work for perhaps not a huge return. I’d love to see their financials!

1 Like

With point rental rates rising faster than annual dues, the long you hold the contracts, the more likely renting out the points could become profitable.

And, in fact, if that wasn’t the case, then buying DVC would never make sense financially. It is protection against inflation.

1 Like

I have rented from someone in the past. She bought a number of contracts to rent them out. She actually owns GFV, BLT, BWV, AKL (?), and SSR.

1 Like

Chances are he/she was one of those who bought when prices were rock bottom, in 2007/08. People were desperate to sell and there were contracts on sale for single digits per point.

They will have long recouped whet they paid, so only need to cover their maintenance fees. Although DVC did make it slightly tougher for them by introducing new rules to limit commercial renting.

I know a few people in that category. They visit 4 or 5 times a year, and often either bring their family or friends, staying in 3-bed villas or gift their family points to use. And when they retire they’ll be able to snowbird at WDW for 2-3 months if they want to.

3 Likes

3 Likes

It took a while for me to follow up, but my offer did pass ROFR and I’m now a proud BCV owner! Received my points last week and I’ve already burned all of them with reservations for next year (border problem with covid… ugh!)

Hope you hear soon from your second ROFR and with a pass! They seem to be faster these days… 21 days to answer. So I think maybe next week?

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m sweating bullets over here with how fast the ROFR rates are rising for SSR! It will come down to the wire …

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: it goes through.

1 Like

Anyone done any research on whether to purchase as Husband and Wife vs. Married Couple, Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship? I’m leaning toward Husband and Wife since it sounds straightforward and I don’t have any complicating factors.

Husband and Wife, Joint Tenants with Right if Survivorship.

The downside is that it leaves your spouse financially obligated to continue paying for the annual dues if you die, if that is a concern…but it guarantees automatic transfer to the surviving spouse, which is why we went that route.

1 Like

Sorry. Misspoke. We did as tenants of entirety. I had the wrong term because I quoted your question!

1 Like

None of it makes any sense to me!

how is your home mortgage written? I would do it the same way so that all of your real estate transactions are treated similarly on death or in the event of bankruptcy/judgement. We did JTWROS – the difference between rights of survivorship and in entirety is the way the courts view the owners in the case of a judgement. Joint tenants are not considered a single legal entity as tenants in the entirety are. If the property needs to be sold to satisfy a judgement, the owner that was not sued (and is not liable for the debt) will be compensated for having to sell their half of the asset.

2 Likes

Not sure if you were given something with this information. This is taken from the form we had to sign, explaining the difference:

I think the main difference between the last two is simply that the last one is for married couples, but the one before allows joint tenants for relationships outside of marriage (parent/child, or what have you).

1 Like

To clarify, just because you’re married doesn’t mean you have to pick in entirety. Married couples can, and most commonly do, pick rights of survivorship.

2 Likes