Since the re-opening, and with the Riviera issues they seem to be more actively selling the older resorts. You can tour rooms at just about every resort. You can also use the tools on the site to start the process to buy any Resort. I heard a recent direct sale report that I believe said that more older direct points are being sold at least in some months than Riviera?
I read mentions of this on the ROFR thread. I’m just hoping and praying that the volume of transactions is high enough that mine has a chance of going through!
The listing agent on my Poly contract was sure it would be ROFRed but it wasn’t. Crossing my fingers for you!
The good news: my offer was a really good deal!
The bad news: Disney thought so too and took the contract!
The other good news: I get my deposit back on my credit card.
Yet more good news: I’m going to Disney in 2 days and I’m going to use that deposit there.
I’ll be going back to the drawing board. Maybe I can get another offer in before we leave. If not I’ll just wait till we get back.
So sorry to hear this.
Honestly the market is a little insane right now; to the point that it almost makes sense to go direct in some cases.
I’d wait til you get back to go back after it. Don’t need to be making emotionally irrational decisions. And anyway you can keep your deposit for Mickey Bars now
I think I saw that SSR was offered direct for $125 pp with incentives up until last week. I offered $113 which was enough below that that I feel like I was still getting a deal. But I wouldn’t have offered more than that on resale, so I am at peace.
I was working on convincing DW to do this if ours didn’t go through. Seeing the market trend up and being unsure there was going to be a contract with points available that we could close on by the time we plan to go again made the extra charge worth it in my opinion. Similar contract sizes with stripped points are posting for $10/point more than we agreed to 6 weeks ago. Crazy.
But so the thing is, will that increase hold or is the bubble going to burst and resale will become more normal again?
Sorry to hear you lost it.
Enjoy your trip,though and then you can start looking again.
I am so sorry!
The issue with direct is sometimes you can get more years of points. For example, if you buy direct today for an August UY you would get 2020 points that Disney would bank for you late, and in August you would get 2021 points. Figuring out the per point value is important.
There are for sure 100 ways to Sunday to assess this stuff. Your head can spin if you let it.
Exactly. I think the decision is based on when one plans to be back and type of accommodations. If you’re looking at a hotel room cost vs. studio villa cost, waiting it out might make sense. For us, the cost of a villa in cash is so high, the added cost of the direct contract would be less than the added cost of paying in cash, even when you figure in dues for the next couple years. And given the expectation that we are using the points for at least 20 years, it still makes sense to buy a contract now.
I need to buy more points today.
It’s just a feeling I have
Yes! You’re actually losing money if you don’t buy another contract today !
So apparently the answer is probably not.
I’m clueless on all this but watching with interest.
I hope the next one works out even better for you!
Pretty lazy of Disney to make y’all do the haggling on their point buy backs!
No, it wasn’t $125.
I got the $125 off a random comment somewhere but there is more context to it. I was just looking it up and I think there was / is a discount that ramped up from $6 pp to $25 pp but that highest one was only available if you were purchasing a 1000+ point contract. Right now direct for SSR is $165 pp, so with the highest discount it would have been $140 pp. There may have been another promotion in place that got it down lower, but I’m not sure.
ETA: I’m not well versed in buying direct so no one rely on the above info - I’d love some clarification from the experts.
This is my seller apparently:
Here is the thread on direct incentives:
I actually talked with DVC today and they were offering December use year with 2020 points for Riviera. But for AK or SSR/OKW, they would give April use year with no 2020 points. They’re trying to sell those Riviera contracts…