OBNurseNH in WDW: A Trip Report 4/22-30/2017

Same.

1 Like

I will have to try to remember this for next trip - DH would love to see these.

Great pics & installment of your report. Looking forward to more.

1 Like

Love reading your trip report. Riding the Main Street cars is on my to do list as well.
Also read in one of your posts you live quite close to MHT. My SIL only lives a few miles from there as well. So convenient to go visit!

1 Like

Yes, I don’t know how familiar you are with the area but I am 2 miles away. My home is off the same exit from 293 that one would take to get to the airport in most cases.

Loving your report @OBNurseNH!! I’m excited to read all about your “Me” day at MK! Great start - can’t wait to hear about Cali Grill brunch!!! :smile:

You will love it. Many of the best people were there - certainly some of the greatest I’ve met :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great trip report! Love that you took time for yourself.

Awesome!! :smile: Looking forward to it!

Great report, looking forward to the rest!

It was a first, and I never should have waited so long.

Next summer I will be traveling to Tampa for work. I will be taking a left out of the parking lot of the hotel and heading East to WDW. I’m hoping to squeeze out 2-3 days there. I’m also hoping no work friends want to tag along :secret:

6 Likes

I absolutely love this last installment about your “me” day!! It’s amazing what we discover around us when we stop doing and just watch and listen. I hope I can sneak away for a day on my own sometime soon!! Thank you for these great reports! They truly take me back!!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to more of your trip report! We will be at AK in 2 weeks, and it makes me happy to read your experiences. So excellent that you enjoyed a “ME” day!

1 Like

Loving this update! I hope to go someday at least a day solo or just with my oldest DD. Can’t wait for the next installment!

1 Like

Excellent so far!!
Main Street Vehicles is on my list for June. We just couldn’t squeeze it in last time.

Also can’t wait to hear about brunch. That’s on my short list too. I know it’s pricey but, you know, it’s all relative…

1 Like

I went last September with my husband, so I knew what I was in for. I also knew how to better pace myself :wink:

Trust me - it is worth every.single.penny.

3 Likes

Loving this trip report! I too am a firm believer in having an adult beverage every day on vacation!

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear about CG! I remember your last visit! YUM!!

1 Like

Note: the following section is seriously devoid of photos. I was too busy stuffing my face, drinking all the drinks, and visiting with great people to remember to take many pictures! So sorry!!

The walk to Contemporary Resort is almost always an enjoyable one and on this perfect day with the sun on my face and a gentle breeze it most definitely was. The walk takes about 10 minutes at a very leisurely pace on a fenced-off walkway that passes beside the bus depot. One thing I was curious to see was the security checkpoint I had heard about, for guests coming to MK on foot by way of Contemporary Resort. About 2/3 of the way down the path they had the checkpoint set up, with a metal detector and what looked like 2 security guards doing bag check. It seemed to be a short line just before noon and guests seemed to be passing through quickly. It did seem a little bit less than foolproof as there is an area where the fence breaks that is simply roped off. I had noticed earlier, though, a cast member waving a guest on who was trying to stop in that vicinity to let passengers off. So I guess they are watching that area closely.

One of the best things about the Contemporary is the scent. Many of the resorts have their own scent piped in and there’s something about the one at Contemporary that reminds me of a perfume – a light, clean scent – that my Aunt wears. She’s one of my favorite people, so it’s a scent that has warm fuzzies associated with it. As I walked through the doors I drank in that lovely smell. The lobby was bustling on this Sunday morning with a decent crowd of guests waiting to check in. I passed them by and started up to the 2nd floor, where California Grill guests check in for their reservation. The group I was meeting there texted me just then to say they had already checked in and to come right on up!

I checked in, was directed to the elevator, and was whisked on up to the 15th floor where I was offered the first of many mimosas, which are bottomless here. It didn’t take me long to find a talking black and white cat (@BGK - David), @BearsMom2011 (Sue), @baileykatt (Helen), and David’s friends Marylou and Shay. Right behind me came along @mountainminnie (Brooke) and her friend Julie. I was so excited to spend time with these wonderful people who I have only become friends with because of TouringPlans and, specifically, Lines. When I say that the $10.95 I spent on that first subscription was worth every penny and then some, these people – and others I’ve met, and still others I can’t wait to meet someday – are the reason that is true more than anything else. The friends are the best part; the knowledge and touring plans are just icing on the cake.

We had a few minutes to say hello and give some smooches and squishes and we were notified that our table was ready. We sat and were oriented to the process for this dining experience, ordered more mimosas, and got down to the serious business of breaking bread with friends. I won’t give a full review of the meal – you can find that here. I will stop to say though that there were a couple of small changes since my last visit. The one that sticks out the most is that a pastry board is not brought to your table at this time but instead guests can find the same pastries on the appetizer buffet. I’m sure this cuts down on waste and also allows guests to focus on those pastries that are most yummy (ahem, cheese biscuits).

I paced myself far better on this visit, as I was determined to do. I did not get a Bloody Mary this time, which was a bit sad but that alcohol sculpture adds a decent amount of appetizer to your appetizer course and I just didn’t need it. I also stuck to the sushi which was better in the sense that I wasn’t so filled up before my entrée and also because more sushi! I had, again, the lobster eggs Benedict and was not disappointed in the least. Still the best lobster I’ve had anywhere. I’m going to try that butter-poaching method of preparing my next lobsters at home!

Once again, though, the best part of this meal was the camaraderie shared among us. I got to hear all about the races that many of these friends had been busy running that weekend – even that morning! I heard all about their lives at home, and shared some stories of my own. It was just nice to be with such fantastic people and that meal will be one of my favorite memories of WDW for some time to come. Don’t shy away from Liner meets – I promise you they can lead to some real friendships. And really, is there anything better than more friends who understand the Disney obsession?

The group was all going different ways at the end of the meal. At least half of them needed a much-deserved nap after running the half-marathon that morning. I had plans to spend some time with the talking black and white cat at one of his favorite lounges on property. So we headed on over by monorail to the Grand Floridian. I will say briefly here that the monorail security line moves just as smoothly as the others I’d seen that morning and there was no inconvenient backup whatsoever.

Mizner’s is a cozy little lounge located not at all where I thought it was. The black and white cat might hate me for telling you precisely where, but it’s tucked in right behind where the band plays in the afternoons. It’s bright with natural light and offers a beautiful view of the pool area and grounds. It was pretty full when we arrived, with just the one table open, which we grabbed. The seating is comfortable and relaxed and invites you to stick around a while. I fell in love with it all the more when I looked up at the TV at the bar to see my beloved Red Sox on. Guests here clearly have great taste in sports :wink:

@BGK asked what I was going to order. If you’ve been around a while you know that David knows his way around a cocktail menu, and has a special affinity for good gin, so I told him I’d let him decide what we would have. He introduced me to something called a French 75: gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and sparkling wine – in our case Veuve Clicquot. It was amazing! And it sure does pack a punch :smiley: :smiley:

We sipped and visited for quite a while. I think a lot of times people are nervous to meet one another in “the real world” because what will you say and all that social anxiety crud that gets in our way. But the nice thing is with people you’ve known for a while – even “just” online – visiting in person is even better. You pick up where your last online conversation left off and it’s as natural as can be. Before we knew it we had talked away nearly 2 hours. The princess promenade had passed us by, the Red Sox were over, the Bruins were on (this is a GREAT lounge!), and the food and booze was catching up with me. I knew I had to get moving or I’d be in trouble. David and I were meeting back up with some of the ladies from brunch for evening drinks at Nomad, so I couldn’t let me energy peter out now! David stuck around to meet up with one of his cast member pals and I wandered the resort.

I found the fantastic shop I have heard so much about on Lines. Basin is so delicious! The bath and body products they offer are incredible. I spent quite a bit of time in there, smelling everything and sampling most. I made a mental note to have my daughter visit as this place was right up her alley. I’m also excited to share – in case you didn’t know – that there is a website (but not a newsletter, sorry BGK): Basin Website So if you’re like me and you overthink every purchase to the point of talking yourself out of spending any money, you can always change your mind once you get home.

I visited the other shops before deciding it was lovely weather for a ferry boat ride. I figured I would ferry back over to the MK area and get a bus to AK from there. I made my way, for sure, but although the ferry didn’t take terribly long, I arrived at the bus depot just in time for an AK bus to pull away, according to the one other girl waiting at the stop, and it was some time before another one came along. So much for arriving to AK early and wandering a bit! Now I was worried I would be late for meeting up with Sue, Marylou (who decided to pass in favor of more rest), Helen, and Shay (and David, who arrived a bit later). Some of the group had FPP for The Lion King before our drink-meet and there was an extra one for me! Turns out they had run into bus troubles on their end too and we all arrived at the tapstiles within a few minutes of one another. But lesson learned: always take the most direct route, no matter how lovely the weather might be for a ferry boat ride :wink:

We were late for The Lion King, but it’s never too late for Nomad, so we headed straight there instead. On my Grownups in WDW trip, Nomad was a ghost town. Not so on this Sunday afternoon! We prowled around both inside and out and struggled to find seating for the four of us. We found one table for two and two extra seats on the porch and a cast member told us we could put the two extra seats by the table for two so we could all four be comfortable. We sat down, got comfy, an started perusing the cocktail menu when a different cast member came and told us we couldn’t keep the chairs like that for safety purposes in case of a fire. Fortunately another spot opened up in minutes with loungers surrounding a table. Far more cozy in the end.

Now to get drinks. No easy feat! We aren’t sure if it was just our cast member or if it was due to the high level of occupancy in the lounge, but the service on this day was unacceptably slow. Shay remarked at one point that we had been in our new seats – after moving – for 20 minutes and we still hadn’t placed an order. Finally we were attended to and ordered a round; I had a Hightower Rocks which was delicious and refreshing and very, very, smooth. I got to talk about my job some – always a dangerous Pandora’s box to open with me, as once I start talking about it I have trouble realizing where people have heard enough. This topic always leads to sharing birth stories, which I always love hearing. I’m not sure David was quite as interested, but he was a good sport about it.

We were able to observe, from where we were sitting, the bridge to Pandora was in full view. We noticed the lights beginning to come on as it neared dusk. It was pretty cool looking and I can’t wait to see it in its full glory next time we visit.

My family texted me around 6:45 to say they were just arriving back at AKL. I had neglected to provide them with the PIN for our MBs so they couldn’t eat unless I gave it to them! LOL. I texted back to say I was having a drink and would be along soon. My son wanted to go swimming and my daughter and husband wanted to chill out. I told them that I would take him when I got back if he didn’t drive them crazy in the meanwhile. It took the next hour for me to be able to pay my tab. Seriously, the service was atypically horrid that day and it was fortunate for me that it wasn’t my first visit or I’d maybe not go back again.

Then again, the jury’s still out on how the opening of Pandora will affect Nomad and Tiffins. I fear the quiet days of refuge and solace are long since over by now.

We said our goodbyes after a time. I was sad to be leaving my friends. Our time together was so short – but there will be a next time, and I can’t wait for it!

I hopped the bus back to AKL, which is such a gloriously short ride from AK, and was Home in a jiffy. The kids couldn’t wait to tell me all about Universal and, especially, Harry Potter. They talked excitedly and showed me a bunch of pictures. I couldn’t wait to tell them about my day, too, but somehow what I did was not all that exciting to them. Which is precisely why I needed this day. Moms – or dads, or whoever – if you want a solo day in the World, take it. You wont’ regret it, and your family vacation will still be amazing, even if you spend a day apart. Or maybe even because you spend a day apart!

Luke and I donned our suits and hit the pool for an evening swim, which felt so good after our busy, separate day. It was nice to have some 1:1 time with him, too. We swam a while, and then checked out the night time animal viewing which takes place right on the Uzima Savanna adjacent to the pool area. It has to be really, really dark before you can use them, though, so we were a little bit early. No problem! Back in the pool for more swimming and a few more trips down the slide – yes, me too! When you’re in the bubble, everyone’s a kid.

The night time animal viewing was kind of a bust, though. We returned a while later. There was one other family there using the goggles but the cast member admitted that only one of the sets of goggles was really functioning so that you could see clearly. The others were all quite hazy and blurry. We tried them all. It was okay though, in the sense that there really weren’t more than a couple of animals within the viewing area at that time, so it’s not as though we missed much.

We were tired and it was pretty late by then – close to 10pm – so Luke and I headed back to the room and all four of us got ready for bed. DH and I readied our park bag for the next morning, and we all hit the hay.

Next up: we did All The Things in Hollywood Studio — except we skipped Fantasmic again!!

22 Likes

That was a great report, I like your writing style, I felt like I was reading a novel.

3 Likes

Loving the report. I totally agree with some alone time; Cindy and I are both totally OK with going our own way from time to time; I’ll spend all day in the parks, but she likes/needs down time at the resort. And I can’t emphasize enough the fun of Liner meets. To this day, one of the most fun times I ever had was a meet on a solo trip. It started with 8 of having dinner at LH, then another 8 or so joined us at the Cantina, then we split into smaller groups; “my” group spent PM EMH strolling through WS, and then a smaller group joined me at SOG for a night cap (or two). It was 2:00 AM before we knew it ! :slight_smile: On a different trip a bunch of us (I really don’t know how many) were all at La Cava for the Tequila tasting “After Hours” programs they ran a few years back. And we shared our V&A Chef’s Table with Liners. And on my last trip, there was a great meet up in DS; first at the Margarita bar, then at Jock Lindsey’s, with some shopping afterwards. I try as hard as I can to participate in a meet-up on every trip.

8 Likes