Not sold on Disney transportation

Really appreciate you finding this information for me! Super helpful.

All of this makes a ton of sense. I hadnā€™t thought of my kids missing out on the Disney magic by not using Disney transport but I think youā€™re right. Hmm it seems as if I have a much harder decision than I originally thought. Thanks so much for giving me your two cents!

1 Like

[quote=ā€œOuter1, post:10, topic:23052ā€]
Iā€™ll go against the grain here lol. We really dislike the buses.[/quote]
How do you feel about overfilled tiny rental cars?

3 Likes

I quite enjoy those! lol

2 Likes

I canā€™t speak to using Uber, but in recent years Iā€™ve rented a car for every Disney World trip. My reasons are as follows:

• I get to the parks faster than MDE - even getting my own luggage, I still get out of the airport faster and my car goes right to my destination with no additional stops (unless I want to) + if I wish, I can drive straight to the parks
  • I buy groceries - just a few things that I canā€™t bring in my luggage, so Garden Grocer doesnā€™t make sense for me, so being able to stop at Target or a supermarket is convenient and cost-effective with a car.
  • I donā€™t like waiting for buses - Iā€™d rather walk to my car than stand around waiting. I also save time a value/moderate resorts because I can park close to my room (this wouldnā€™t make a difference for you at the Polynesian, though)
  • I seldom get a seat on a bus - Thereā€™s always someone who needs in more than me, but a few days into a trip my back really appreciates getting a comfortable seat in my car.
  • Driving in Disney World Isnā€™t That Difficult - there arenā€™t really that many different roads, so you get familiar with them quickly and unless youā€™re visiting on 4th of July, NYE, or Christmas, then youā€™re not really dealing with horrible traffic.

As for your situation, Iā€™m all for avoiding the buses. Monorails or boats can be a pleasant means of getting to/from Magic Kingdom and Epcot (particularly with a stroller when you can just roll on without folding up the stroller, which is true on monorails and larger boats). Buses are normally reliable, but once or twice during a trip youā€™ll be stuck with a long wait when thereā€™s somewhere else you need to be. Buses also donā€™t go directly between all the places I want to go (like from a park to Disney Springs or from a resort to Fort Wilderness, as in your situation). Buses also arenā€™t very comfortable (no worse than the average bus, but worse than the average car) and in the mornings/just after park closing seats are tough to get + being crammed onto a full bus isnā€™t my idea of vacation fun. If you donā€™t want to drive, then Uber/cabs should work well for you.

3 Likes

for all the ā€œtoutingā€ that Disney does about their transportation - it really does kind of suck. If you plan on going to any of the major parks it is, on average a 20 minute wait to get on the bus.

Going from a resort to a park is passable - however going resort to resort for dinning is a disaster. Usually if you are going from the park to your dining resort - no problem - but getting home when you are tired can be a real pain. Last trip we really limited our dining to resorts within walking distance from our resort (we were in the Epcot / Boardwalk area).

Although we havenā€™t had an issue - sometimes the wait for the express from MCO is long and then you have to wait for your bags. If you are looking to maximize savings - sure it is great. However when I am on vacation - time is money.

We were splitting our time between Universal and WDW. Ended up taking town cars. It was less expensive (by several hundred dollars) than renting a car and the service was AWESOME.

1 Like

Bookmark this, very handy for WDW transportation options & expected duration factors:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx#.Vye8prNVgpU

1 Like