Non-Disney family vacay?!

Perhaps a sacrilegious question on this board but I feel that there are so many like-minded people here who might have some suggestions! :wink: I wasn’t sure where else to ask!

We are thinking of taking a family vacation (myself, DH, DD3, DS5) this fall (Oct/Nov timeframe). Perhaps to the Dominican? Looking at all-inclusive resorts and finding a few that look like great options in Punta Cana. Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro is looking pretty sweet right now.
Any suggestions? Weather, deals, when to book, etc…

Vacation Express usually has pretty good deals. I signed up for their e-mails and about once a week they send out various hotel/package deals. The hubs and I went on one of their vacations to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We stayed at The Reef Playacar. It was all inclusive, a great resort with fun amenities, nice staff and nightly entertainment. Extra excursions were available for additional cost once we arrived.

http://www.vacationexpress.com/

We found our vacation package through them on Groupon. If you troll that website long enough, something is bound to pop up that looks good to you.

2 Likes

My wife and I stayed at the Paradesus Palma Royal - it was new when we went - so about 8 years old now. It was fantastic. My only suggestion is get a PRIVATE CAR to and from the airport. We took a “shuttle” and it sucked. We loved Punta Cana - we didn’t do a darn thing!! Just went a lay in the sun and were “adults” for a few days with no responsibilities. Lots of families at the resort though - so obviously family friendly. I think NON Disney vacations are awesome as well.

2 Likes

I would probably fly Southwest and look at staying at AKL with park hopper passes just 2 days short of my total stay.

Oh wait, you said non-Disney??? :wink:

5 Likes

Three years ago we stayed at the Hard Rock and it was amazing! All inclusive and very family friendly.

1 Like

Visit Mexico @egkleinmann!!!
:wink:

1 Like

We did Italy as a family (kids 8 and 11). SPECTACULAR is the only way to describe it. To be honest - it was less than WDW day for day

2 Likes

We definitely plan to explore that part of the world when the kids are a bit older. I spent several summers in Africa and Europe (Italy being my fave!) when I was in my 20’s and excited to share that with my kids.
For now, I dream of lounging by a pool while sipping on fancy cocktails :wink:

1 Like

Friends of ours are doing a Safari this summer - I would LOVE to do that.

1 Like

I think sitting by a pool and just relaxing is a very good idea!!

Swoon!

Highly suggest Dorobo in Tanzania. I spent a month in Tanzania a few years ago (volunteer work in local schools/orphanage) and was led for a couple of weeks by some of the crew from Dorobo. It was an amazing experience. I wouldn’t take children as there were some pretty intense moments and we truly “roughed it” but would be good for anyone over 16, I’d say.

1 Like

They are actually doing Tanzania

1 Like

My husband and I stayed at the Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana this past October. Its an all inclusive. We have friends who have gone there 2-3 times recommend it to us. We enjoyed ourselves. It was a very relaxing vacation compared to what we are used to on a Disney vacation. The beach, and the clear blue ocean are the most gorgeous I have ever seen. The weather in the end of October, when we were there, was in the 80’s every day, and VERY humid. We had little to no rain while we were there, although I think we got lucky. We booked in August through Sunset Travel, and were given a free upgrade to club level (only available for adults). The travel agency also took care of arranging our transportation to and from the airport. We flew direct out of Chicago on Southwest. We were told of several excursions that were available while we were there, but my husband and I chose to relax on the beach every day :slight_smile: Even though we went without our kids, there were other families there with children. The resort has a staff dedicated to entertainment throughout the day, and I’m sure there are plenty of activities to keep children busy.