Noise...which rides?

My husband has sensitive hearing. …no jokes…lol…we are taking ear plugs. My friend on return from wdw said fantasmic was really noisy. Other than the obvious firework displays are their any rides at wdw or universal that you remember thinking. …that’s noisy. …or its going to deafen my child (husband in my instance ). Any preparation would make this holiday more pleasurable. …thanks

Dinosaur in particular stand out as VERY noisy.

3 Likes

Thanks. …just note taking! X

Does it matter what type of noise? I would say the music in PhilharMagic May be a little loud and Enchanted Tiki Room. Maybe even It’s a Small World? Some of the audio in Living with the land ? Also, maybe Frozen Sing Along? Most of the things I think of have music?

2 Likes

He has hyperacusis so it’s certain frequencies. …hard to say really he just needs to be prepared. …maybe constantly wearing ear plugs to drown out my noise might do the trick. …

No one mentioned RnR yet.

In addition to ride noise, you might also need to factor in the screaming from riders. Rides like 7dmt, Space, BTMRR, I assume Everest, ToT etc will have screamers.

3 Likes

RnR is by far the worst offender, in my opinion.

1 Like

One of my sons is pretty noise sensitive and we bring earmuff style ear protection for him. He wears it for all the fireworks, the Festival of Fantasy Parade, Festival of the Lion King show (actually, I think most of the live shows are extremely loud, guess he gets it from me), he’s too little for it, but good call on RnR.

If sudden sounds are an issue, plan on having him wear earplugs all day at MK and HS. There are some random fireworks with some of the stage shows that got my kids every time.

I’m not sure if you are planning on using the foam-style ear plugs, but I got a nicer style on Amazon a few years ago. They work well and I can still hear conversations and such with them in.

1 Like

It’s out of date so not all the current rides are listed, but I have found “PassPorter’s Walt Disney World for Your Special Needs” to be really helpful as I plan for our family trip. (We have someone with sensory processing challenges in our party.) It describes possible challenges for each ride at the time of publication, which was a while ago, but many current rides are listed. It tells which rides are loud (or dark, or made with potentially frightening props, etc.) I borrowed it from the library.

There is a slightly newer version (PassPorter’s Open Mouse for Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line: Easy Access Vacations for Travelers with Extra Challenges) but my library didn’t have it so I settled for the older one. If you can find the “newer” one at your library or you’re inclined to buy it, I’d go for that one.

1 Like

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest really caused my son problems with his ears. We weren’t expecting that at all. Luckily, First Aid had ear plugs that they gave us. Worked like a charm.

I love Finding Nemo - The Musical but I found some of the songs to be way too loud (and I’m not particularly sensitive, usually). I remember “Go with the Flow” (Crush’s song) and the songs in the aquarium scenes being especially uncomfortable.

Thanks so much for this info. What I have gleamed from this is he must wear them all the time as it can really place a downer on his day. Please can you post the earplugs you used and could still hear through them ? Screaming. …another big issue thank you!

Definitely smart. Not only the screaming on the rides, but children screaming and squealing in general!! And lord help you if you get in the midst of one of the groups of “the 15s” (the massive, all coordinated in the same color shirt groups of girls who have had their quinceñera celebrations and are being sent on a trip by Mummy and Daddy from (usually) Brazil, Argentina, or Chile) - talk about a sound wave!! (Though I do think with hiring tour “guides” for the groups Disney has put the kibosh on the chanting through the parks they used to do.)

1 Like

DD found Indy loud. She was covering her ears with earplugs.

1 Like

These are what I bought in 2014, looks like there are some updated versions available (mine still work for me). I would order in advance and have him try at home since our ears are all shaped differently. The foam style don’t work at all for me, but these do. There is also a listing for a hunting style similar to this in the “others bought…” section. Those look interesting.

1 Like

As an alternative - I’ve used these for concerts - you can still hear but they’re meant to greatly attenuate the sound to avoid hearing damage:

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks @Damavs for the tip! :heart_eyes: :sunglasses: