No Kids Just Grownups: OBNurseNH and DH Celebrate Valentines Day In the World

There’s no place like home.

2 Likes

Either one of them!

3 Likes

Glad you made it home safely. Thanks so much for taking us along…

3 Likes

For those who were curious how we liked our stay at Saratoga Springs, here are my thoughts. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

For context, we had a Preferred Studio and it was just me and my husband on the trip.

We were happy with SS and would stay again but we were not blown away as we have been with other resorts. The very best thing about it is the proximity to Disney Springs, particularly for those able to get a room in Congress Park. SS is enormous - we never even saw Grandstand or Carousel except passing through on the bus after DAH. But it is a very pretty resort to walk through; it would be nice to rent bikes or surrey bikes and tour around a while.

Cannot say much about the bus service as we only used it to get to Animal Kingdom. We used a Lyft to get home that night after dinner at California Grill, and we did use the bus after Disney After Hours but as that was a special event I don’t think it’s fair to use that ride in the assessment.

We didn’t eat at Turf Club, but Artists Palette was good breakfast; w didn’t eat any other meals there. My husband had one of the fancy cupcakes and said that it was just “ok”. The cake was a little dry and the frosting overly sweet. In any case this is one of the QS where you order and are given a disc that leads them to you with your food when it is ready. That’s always a nice feature.

As to the physical features of the resort, the main pool is super neat, one of the best I’ve seen I think. The quiet pool in our area was nice but didn’t quite have enough loungers even on a mild day; there would be some real trouble on a true pool day I think. The buildings are nice enough, nothing spectacular and the hallways leave a lot to be desired. I would even say they felt a little sketchy-ish. Just not welcoming and rather stark. Hopefully they will spruce them up good on the refurb that’s coming.

We had a studio with a queen and a sofa(bed). Room was clean and comfortable, decor needs updating. It was nice having the sofa to lounge on in addition the small dining table. The kitchenette was nice and sufficient although we did not use it except for the refrigerator for cold drinks. There was an oddity with the bathroom fan: it operated on a motion sensor. So it would turn on whenever you entered - even in the middle of the night or early morning when you’re trying to be extra quiet. And it would turn off in the middle of your shower when you really needed it on, for lack of detected motion. I flicked my bath towel under it to turn it back on. This needs fixing for sure.

The view from our balcony in room 1232 was nice, looking out toward Disney Springs, and it was very peaceful if not very spacious. All told we were happy with our stay. I don’t think I would pay the cash price they get for these rooms but with our DVC points it’s a nice, affordable option (nice room, small points).

When it was time to leave yesterday we called Bell Services for a shuttle back to Carriage House. They never came after 20 minutes so we just hoofed it over ourselves. We didn’t see a single shuttle pass us until we were at the main pool, which meant that even if those were headed to us we had almost 10 minutes more to have waited. I would call far in advance next time - we thought we had called in time - the issue is you don’t want them arriving while you’re still in your underthings either LOL. Airline check-in was easy and we left our carry on with Bell Services for the day. We got to DME early and the driver of the bus that was there offered for us to take that ride instead of waiting. That was nice.

16 Likes

That glass is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your trip. If I can’t be there in person, hearing about someone else’s trip is the next best thing :grin:

2 Likes

Some thoughts about Disney After Hours:

In a nutshell, worth the splurge!

Your ticket allegedly allows you entry at 7pm. Because we were ahead of schedule we opted to head to MK earlier, arriving at 6:30p. Much to our surprise we were ushered right in, wristbanded, on on our way! Lesson: arrive earlier if you’re ahead of your schedule and give it a try! I find myself wondering just how early they’d have let us through.

Others have reported zooming right in and getting down to brass tacks, riding a couple of rides before the event began. For us, it was important to meet Mickey and Minnie in their celebration gear, so we did that. It was about a 40 minute wait but as we weren’t expecting to get into the park until 7p, we considered it an actual wait of 10 minutes. It was a GREAT meet and greet and a really fun way to start our evening! Lesson: do what’s important to you and you’ll be happy!

We took a quick spin through the Emporium to find that unicorn of a tee shirt (which @ryan1 later found for me online) and then I wanted to grab a coffee for a little energy boost ahead of the late night (I’m an old lady). The line was long but moved quickly and we chatted up a friendly couple which made it go by even faster. I felt a little bad for them - they were one of those people who waited in the 3 hour line for FOP. But they seemed happy with that so who am I to judge? Lesson: caffeine matters, and conversation counts.

We were about 10 minutes out from Happily Ever After at that point and headed to the hub. We got redirected around toward Tomorrowland Terrace, but a quick zig and a short zag and we were headed back where I wanted to be - front and center. I even had a bit of a pocket of space around us, as this mom with a baby was pacing back and forth trying to lull the child to sleep. It was a little annoying on the one hand, but it gave us more room so… Lesson: there is no real need to get a spot for fireworks 30 minutes or more ahead of the show. Do it if it helps your stress level, but don’t feel like you’ll have a lousy experience if you wait til the last minute, either.

We stood still for about 10 minutes while the crowd cleared after the show, and then headed to Space Mountain. The wait was posted at 70 minutes, and there was a line up the ramp for People Mover as well, so we crossed back over to Frontierland and started with BTMRR instead. IIRC it was posted 40 minutes but since we were off by around 9:10 it was shorter than that. It was kind of cool though - we never see the queue on that ride because we always FPP and there are some neat interactive things in there! Lesson: queues can be fun, so find a way (like this or a party) to experience some of the ones you never get to!

After that we headed over to POTC, got our first round of popcorn and drinks, and then JC. Both were walk-ons.

We crossed over to Liberty Square - empty except for the snack line (and a couple of dudes sitting down and scrolling on their phones - seemed a weird way to spend the time but okay) - and headed to HM. Walk on.

DH wanted to PP but the line was very long and didn’t appear to be moving, so we IASW instead. Walk on. By the time we were done with that, PP line was better so we waited. It was about 15 minutes wait. A little disappointing, but better than the typical 90 minute wait on a given day.

The area near the carousel was nearly empty and really pretty. The Cinderella Coach was lit up and had a line for photos - we didn’t want to wait in a line so we skipped it. Later there was nobody around and we got our photo then; smart move.

We waited next for 7D that was about a 20 minute wait. Acceptable for a ride of that popularity, and another queue we have only been through once or twice before.

Over to Tomorrowland next, where it was very empty. Stopped for Mickey Bars and beverages. Then we rode Space for the first time in many years. Walk on. It was smart not to have waited the 70 minutes earlier.

BLSRS was next, walk on, and somehow I scored some points (I am very bad that that game).

WTP next, walk on. We got a whole Hunny Pot to ourselves, even! I think we were the only ones on the ride.

By then it was 11:55pm so we got in line for a second ride on 7D. Only about a 10 minute wait then.

Grabbed a photo by the Cinderella coach, got some photos of the carousel area devoid of humans.

Walked through the castle tunnel and found the people. LOL. Everyone was leaving and it almost looked like the end of a typical night. We had goals and plans though so we took some photos and wandered around, waiting for Main Street to be empty. Lesson: there’s no need to hurry out because the clock struck 12. You’re not Cinderella :wink:

Maybe around 12:15am they did the Kiss Goodnight. :heart: Lesson: stick around for this, it’s pretty neat!

Finally at 12:35am it was empty enough for the photos I wanted. They are further up in this thread so I will not re-post. But it was well worth the wait, and they are pictures I will treasure forever. Lesson: if you have a wish, make it come true!

Around that time a couple of cast members appeared at the end of the street, near Casey’s and the Plaza, and started very slowly making their way toward the town square, gently nudging us on our way. By then there were approximately 20 people left - yes, I counted - and it was so cool. Lesson: there WILL come a time when they want you to go home :wink:

I grabbed a few more empty Main Street/Town Square photos, and we headed out. There was a bus waiting for us, no lines no waiting, and we were back at the resort and in our room just after 1am. Lesson: this is a late night, but a magical one!

We were exceptionally happy with our evening. I did not remark above, but the weather was ABSOLUTELY perfect. We both donned sweatshirts in the later hours, but it was cool - 60s - and comfortable, dry, and delicious. Except for Fantasyland, the park was pretty empty in most places. Someone else remarked about the absence of strollers, which is true. I was surprised at how many kids were there, but there were many more adults. The snacks were plentiful - if the line is long in one location, try another (hint: the one in Tomorrowland had no line at all, the one in Liberty Square was the longest); they practically force extras on you, so take them! I think this is an exceptionally great event for a short trip or a one-nighter (ie if you’re in the area for business or similar), and it’s also a great way to have a special evening with your special someone. :heart:

Let me know if you have questions!

23 Likes

And a few notes about our dining experiences:

Raglan Road - really good food, fun atmosphere, great entertainment. The host remarked emphatically about their “huge portions” but while I felt the portions were appropriate, they were by no means huge. Then again we were wicked hungry, so maybe they were, but we both cleaned our plates and left comfortably satisfied. The only real negative was that we didn’t get a table until 45 minutes past our reservation time.

Nomad Lounge - I had only ever been there for drinks before, but we had ourselves a light lunch this time. We enjoyed the wagyu beef sliders and the truffle poutine, perfect amount for sharing and absolutely delicious. I had the Hightower Rocks and he had the Lambu Libation. Take the time to read the menu - not the items to eat and drink, but the rest of it. It’s really cool. The atmosphere in there never disappoints - it’s quiet and cozy and really invites you to stay awhile. The porch is also a wonderful option but on this day it was rather cool for it so we opted indoors. I’m afraid to encourage people to go there because it’s a real hidden gem, but if you people promise not to tell anyone else I think we’ll be okay. If you haven’t been, go. It’s one of my favorite spaces in all of WDW.

Dawa Bar - always a great spot to have a rest, get a drink, and take in the streetmosphere. Another favorite spot. I got Lost On Safari and he had the Ngumu Jungle Juice (which he didn’t finish, so I did LOL).

Outer Rim - this bar in the Contemporary is located just to the left of the check-in line for Chef Mickey. So it’s not the quiet, intimate space that Nomad is :wink: But the bartender served us up some great drinks and, after initially seeming standoffish (I think he was overwhelmed/busy initially) he chatted us up a good deal which is always nice. On this night - 2/13 - they were serving Villaintine’s Day drinks. He was very open in saying that he didn’t think any of them were very good, and he pointed DH in the direction of the one he felt was the better of the four. Based on his recommendation, I steered clear of them altogether and he mixed me up a fantastic Negroni (after checking to make sure that’s what I meant to order LOL)

California Grill - I made some remarks up above so I won’t say much here. Just that it will always stick out in my mind how they mishandled the pacing of the appetizer vs the first of the two duck courses of my entree. But the sushi there remains the best I’ve had anywhere, and the duck was to. die. for. So I’ll do an Elsa and Let It Go.

Chicken Guy - we stopped in there briefly for a little taste test snack. I’ve gotta say it was pretty darned good! We got a 5 piece tender and two sauces to share. Like I said - just a snack. The chicken was juicy, tender, and perfectly seasoned. And the dipping sauces we got (donkey sauce, honey mustard) were fabulous. I think we’ll be back with the kids!

Polite Pig - really really really good stuff. We ordered the dinner for two and it was perfect. We didn’t leave much behind. Everything was well seasoned and could stand on it’s own without any condiments - that always says a lot to me - and the service was fantastic. This is one of those quick service locations where they bring the food to you. But the service staff came by two or three times thereafter to check on us and see if we needed anything else. They cleared the table as well. So it’s almost a table service except that you order your food at the counter. Reasonably priced (for WDW). I’d definitely go back.

Homecoming - the stuff of dreams. We had the deviled eggs and the hushpuppies to start with, and then shared the chicken entree, ordering an extra side. We weren’t sure how they’d feel about sharing plates like that (some places can be weird about it) but they didn’t bat an eye when we asked. The apps were out of this world, and the chicken here is to die for. I also got a moonshine on the rocks - something about Georgia Moon? - and it was very smooth. This was the perfect amount of food for us to share, and we left comfortably satisfied, not needing another meal for the rest of the day (we ate at 2p)

22 Likes

Thanks so much for all the detail! I will be doing DAH in less than 2 weeks and this is extremely interesting and helpful!

2 Likes

My pleasure!

1 Like

This was so fun to read! Thank you @OBNurseNH (and others like you) for taking the time to post trip reports. I’m a newbie and this kind of reading has truly made me calm down about my trip planning and realize that in the end, everything is going to be alright. No matter what little things come up, I will remember to step back and just let it go. But I still really appreciate just having the knowledge that I have learned here.

7 Likes

thank you for taking the time to share all of this. you not only gave me lots of great ideas to think about for my next visit(s) planning, but you really made me happy and smiling.

3 Likes

You’re quite welcome! It’s a lot of fun to post and share!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Always nice to cause a smile :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much time would you allow to grab a couple drinks here in the evening? I promise not to tell anyone else about it :wink:

I’d plan a nice hour or so. Depends what you’re drinking I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

Ha! By the way, I loved following along on your trip! Since I’ll be on an adults-only trip next week (with my mom), I got a lot of value out of this trip report in particular.

1 Like

I hope you’ll let us follow along with yours!

I love when people say WDW is for kids. They’ve never traveled with me :wink:

7 Likes

I enjoyed your pictures, sounds like a great trip.

2 Likes

so seeing that you love homecoming so much, I am going to add it to my list, but something has to go. I see that through mde, this and boathouse are near impossible to get at 7 pm ish on a weekend. boathouse on open table, but homecomin not

What are the options you are considering dumping for Homecoming?