New HS Tiering... Really?

That was my very next sentence after what you quoted.

1 Like

Sorry

1 Like

I’m ducking out of this thread for now.

2 Likes

If you are that far out from your trip, I would try your best to put concerns to rest.

By April 2020 there will be one if not two more rides in the mix (both SWGE rides will be open and the new Mickey ride will likely be running), and you’ll be working with so much more data and so many more liner tips. The new FPP tiers will be almost a year old by that point. Right now you are looking at plans while changes are underway, which means little data and likely inaccuracies in the plans. If your trip isn’t until April, the time is coming when (whether or not the problems go away) liners will gave enough tips and tricks to share to make it all manageable and magical.

10 Likes

Yes. Having experienced it, if I were going back soon, I think I would just plan to go ahead and tap in to make sure rather than hoping it would expire. This first time I thought it was just a glitch but then when it happened again the next day in a different park… Not a huge deal but less of an inconvenience if you just plan to tap in from the beginning.

2 Likes

That’s encouraging. Ours definitely prohibited us from scheduling another tier 1 because it was the tier 2/3rd FP we needed to clear. Not sure what would have happened in MK which is definitely where I use the most SDFPs

1 Like

For sure this still happens. The good news is, it doesnt always happen. I have had both.

1 Like

I think this is key. It is possible that by adding so many to Tier 1 they will reduce the number of FPP distributed for each ride. The down side of this will be fewer FPP at 4th, 5th etc. The upside will be faster moving stand by lines. FPP really slows stand by down. Riding FOP at the end of the night, I was shocked how quickly the line moved once all the FPP people were through.

Of course this is just a “could happen”. TP just doesn’t have the data.

2 Likes

I suspect that with SWGE opening, WDW is expecting much higher crowd levels at DHS so the change in Tiers was made so that one Tier 1 would be available to most guests. With the prior set-up, RnR and ToT would be selected by a lot of people as their Tier 2’s and many guests would be left without a FP for any of the 3 TSL rides, ToT or RnR.

With the new format, I suspect most/all guests will get 1 Tier 1 ride. This is WDW making the best out of what I consider a bad situation where there are not enough highly desirable attractions for the capacity of the park.

So, when you say " Is this really the experience Disney wants it’s guests to have?" I think the answer is “yes” (under the current expected crowds for SWGE and the current existing rides) because WDW does not want some guests to be shut out completely from FP for TSL,ToT and RnR.

I agree with the earlier poster that said that DHS is missing IASW type rides. Other than MK, all the parks are short on rides (which is shy MK is the only park without Tiers).

It won’t happen, but after SWGE and MMRR, I think DHS still needs at least (a) 1 more headliner like the long rumored Monsters coaster, (b) 3 more secondary rides (think IASW or Under the Sea) and © 2 lower end amusement park rides, but with good theming (like Dumbo, Magic Carpets or Tea Cups). Then there would be plenty of ride options along with the shows.

5 Likes

I think and hope this tie ring is temporary. Once they offer FPP for the SWGE rides and/or MnMRT I think they will need to redo the tiers again.

1 Like

Not only are they short on rides but even shorter on rides without height restrictions. At least EP has some. HS does have a lot of shows. I know people love AK but if you have small kids or don’t like thrill rides there’s very little to do.

I hope they go to ‘choose 2’ model when they add GE rides and Mickeys RR to FP. If they don’t, you’d be choosing just 1 FP from 8 tier 1 rides. Weird? I did TP’s for next Oct (this far out only b/c will be locked in with DVC points by this fall), and the only way to make HS work is to pay to do TSL EMM and hopefully have a rope drop advantage on Rise of Resistance b/c of proximity, get a FP for MF or Mickey RR, and then SDFP the other at 12.01, and then SDFP either TOT or RNR at 2.31 for evening. You will be waiting SD for something for sure since no guarantees for SDFPs. Or, do park twice, but with my family we just can’t do RD nonstop all week, so our next opportunity would be late arrival and unless they allow 2 tier 1 FPS, second day for us would be inefficient! Better to go back to AK for us.

I suspect though they are setting up to start charging for FP I’m some way (ie. First 3 are free) pay $10 pp per day for add’l. I did a detailed budget with TP’s to memorialize how much I will spend in current model (adding 10% to ticket prices) just so I can compare cost and actual TP efficiency with whatever changes they make. When I planned DLR in 2017, the planned max pass changes were in my favor b/c I so did not want to leave my family to run around park for paper fast Passes and I was delighted it rolled out just before our trip. I have the opposite feeling with whatever WDW has up its sleeve…

1 Like

That is unlikely IMO. Typically 80% of a ride’s capacity is allocated to FPs.

This is much more likely to allow the anticipated extra guests at DHS to be able to at least get one non Star Wars ride as an FP (hence why Star Tours is still tier 2).

Now if those expected extra visitors don’t materialise, or don’t stick around in DHS (preferring to park hop), then that may make additional tier 1 FPs more available than they usually are.

2 Likes

Yep. I am so annoyed that everything except TSMM has a height restriction. My poor 2yo had that as her only ride last fall, and the glasses were so big that she couldn’t keep them on & even see what was going on! Thankfully she likes shows, but it was really annoying that AS2 had a height restriction. She was an inch to short to ride it.

It’s going to be way more than $10 if they go that route. They’re charging $50 per day per person now for CL passes and they’re already paying an obscene room rate. Granted, they can book 90 days out but still.

True but that $50 is for advance FPS. You would think they would migrate toward more successful model in DLR or UOR, where you can make way more same day decisions. Keep in mind that this is $40/add’l day for a family of 4, which I gladly paid at DLR, but less interested at WDW when the cost of the entire vacay is soooo much greater, especially with all the premium add ons already (EMM, parties, etc). I will be able to report back next fall on impact!

1 Like

Whatever model they choose in the end, it is much more likely to be like DLP, which also fits with the hints by some insiders.

Such as maintaining the onsite advantage; some FPs remaining free but not necessarily the shiny new ones; and different levels.

And one of those levels may well include “packages” of FPs (looking at Star Wars, for example). Which is also kinda like DLP.

1 Like

I agree with this. Since there are a limited number of FP, it will most likely be priced at a level at which many guests will pass (pun intended) on purchasing.

If WDW is going to test a paid FP system at one park, DHS (after SWGE and MMRR are open) makes the most sense. Many headliners that most guests wants to ride.

We skipped DHS last fall with my then DS1 and DD3 for that reason. I wasn’t annoyed, but I wasn’t going to spend my time/money at DHS when I could spend another day at MK instead. We are likely going to try a half day at DHS this fall since now both kids can ride TSMM and A2S. I figure those 2 rides and a couple shows will fill a half day.

1 Like