New BOG dinner — your experiences?

If you want to experience BOG without the fixed price, then try the lunch. We enjoyed it and there was plenty of normal food to order. Beast isn’t there, but honestly when we saw him before the fixed price, it wasn’t the best character interaction we had. I do wish they hadn’t switched it, as we had enjoyed our dinner back in May.

1 Like

I probably wouldn’t have gone if I wasn’t on the DDP. Loved the French onion soup, I think dinner was good (filet mignon), but didn’t care for the dessert trio. We didn’t stay to meet the Beast, didn’t have much interest.

I think it’s better value than CRT. The starters there are an outrage given the price you pay for the meal. A cold meat plate or an egg salad for $80+? Are you kidding me?

I don’t think I did a very good job of making my point. Forgive the following bluntness. It’s not intended to be rude.

They don’t want to offer something for everyone. They’re not trying to entice everyone. I would go so far as to say that they’re actively trying to discourage certain people. A restaurant menu is an exercise in psychological warfare. Everything about it is done for a reason, down to the font size of prices and whether they’re listed in dollars and cents versus whole dollars. Disney only wants to attract BOG diners who are willing to drop $60+ per person for dinner. They’re not going lure them in with cheese sticks and other comfort foods that can be had for much less money elsewhere on Disney property (not to mention your freezer at home). You even admitted that cheese sticks wouldn’t get you through the door at those prices. They know that.

I suspect what they’re trying to address is the (business) problem of dinner guests locking up a table and just ordering cupcakes. Basically sightseers who never had any intention of actually dining. Now they have a more predictable rate of revenue per diner. They stand to make a lot more money IF they can keep the demand up.

And don’t think I have anything against cheese sticks. I’m as big a fan of fried cheesey goodness as any other (allegedly overweight) American. But I wouldn’t pay $60 for them, either.

2 Likes

If I wanted to do BOG, my point is if they are going to charge $60, then make sure there is something on each menu people would want. I was not suggesting they drop the prix fixe. I am saying that they really should have at least one item for more the less adventurous. To me, the appeal is eating in the Beast castle as if in the movie. Not the characters. Not even really the food…but for the price I would expect to want to actually eat the food.

Charge $60. But give me something I want as an option…the rest of the menu is clearly more toward the adventurous eater.

I understand your point…but BOG doesn’t seem like the venue for wanting to be so picky about who eats there.

I’m not arguing in support of the menu or even suggesting that prix fixe is a good idea (I actually dislike the concept intensely). What I AM suggesting is that at the present price point a more mundane, universally appealing menu would not necessarily translate into more paying butts in seats.

Ah. Okay. Gotcha.

To me, only the escargot and octopus are really out there. Maybe the bouillabaisse. I’m a medium-adventurous eater, but I went with an extremely non-adventurous eater (no pork, no seafood, doesn’t like most salad dressings, doesn’t feel well if he eats red meat later in the evening) who didn’t have trouble finding anything to order, and enjoyed what he ate.

This conversation led me to have dream.

No, not a, “This is what I wish for my/our future,” kind of dream. But a, “I fell asleep and this is what my brain constructed,” kind of dream.

Apparently, it was our family trip in May 2020, except my in-laws were also there. We went to BOG for dinner. My wife got really angry at the menu until I explained the prix fixe concept. Anyhow, we got seated in what seemed to be little more than a diner with bench seats, although the rest of the decor was nice. The waiter was intentionally cracking jokes that tied to the theme. At this point, I was doing the math in my head and realizing that I wasn’t sure I could afford this for everyone (since we had 10 people)! Anyhow, all anyone actually wanted to eat was dessert. In the meantime, there ghosts that would pass by every so often and chat, which my youngest son always seemed to miss!

When it came time for dessert, however, there were 5 options. Each of the 5 options consisted of 3 items. The problem was, the staff refused to tell us what the 5 options actually were (the names of the food were all in another language…French, I presume, but I don’t know). Plus, they wouldn’t let us see it. I decided to play it safe and order the dessert that was shown on the link in this thread, with the raspberry tart thing, the Chocolate Chip cup with Gray Stuff, etc. But, the waiter informed me that they no longer carry that. Since none of us could agree on a dessert, the waiter conceded that they could take $15 off the bill if we wanted to skip dessert, which we agreed to. So, I ended up paying $45 per person and we ate nothing! :confused:

It was a bizarre dream that went on from there to other odd things. But USUALLY discussions from the day don’t end up in my dreams that night, so I figured it was worth sharing!

1 Like

Not sure what Freud would make of that!

Would have loved to have tried it. Bailed on an ADR because I didn’t trust the kids to get 2 dining credits worth. (still a little salty that a 10 y/o girl gets charged as an adult on the dining plan) If it were just the adults, we would have done it. I don’t think it’s that adventurous of a menu. Looks delicious.

I have no problem with the menu. I am confused how it is two credits but costs between $8.57 more (‘Ohana) and $5.32 (Artist Point) than 1 credit meals.

2 Likes

It’s in a castle. That’s got to be worth forty bucks per head of dining credit, surely?