Never needed a vacation more trip report

Let’s get 2 Universal trip reports going! I’m heading out on Thursday with DS13 and DNephew17. I have been working non-stop including nights and weekends for over a month because I have an enormous deliverable due 7/15 (unless the state pushes it back, which I think they will, but I won’t hear until they drop an update in ‘mid-June’ but that’s another story). I am burnt out and spend every other day in tears. I so need this. (Although I did buy a new chromebook so I can still work on vacation, but I’m going to try and limit it).

My travel agent is amazing. We were originally going to stay at PBR which is ok, I like the resort but I do like to be closer to the park. I got a so-so AP rate for it, so I was going with it. I checked literally every day to see if something else popped. In May, RPR popped with a savings of over $700 for my 5 nights, so my fabulous travel agent worked to secure that one and drop PBR (and this was also moving the trip up a week - it was a mild winter and we didn’t use all our allotted school snow days, so DS is getting out of school a week before). I was happy with that, but HRH is my favorite. And lo and behold, that one dropped at some point last week - it ate into my savings, but still considerably cheaper than the original PBR, so I jumped on it. Thankfully, my travel agent made the switch and now I’m exactly where I want to be. :grinning:

I also decided to move up my flight to get the heck out of here earlier. We were supposed to land at 9:40pm but I have been also checking flights and the 11am flight dropped over the weekend, so now we arrive at 2pm. Much better. We’ll get situated, get my nephew his AP and hopefully hit the park for a few hours. (Also a big shout out to Tiffany Towncar - in addition to my travel agent making changes, with each one I contacted them and they had no issue - even the last minute change over the weekend!)

We’ll do the parks Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Sunday, we’re going to do a pool day and I booked a cabana for the day. That night, we’ll go to the movies on City Walk to see Jurassic Park Dominion.

Over the next 2 days, I need to hit the bank for some tip money, pack, get everything at work in a place that I won’t feel totally like I’m abandoning my team and get the heck out of here. Stay tuned!

23 Likes

“Abandoning my team”–ha! Let them earn their keep! You have a vacation waiting!

Following along, looking forward to the trip report :grin:

1 Like

You definitely need this trip!!!
Hope your work can reach a suitable conclusion asap and you can get straight to enjoying yourself!!
Looking forward to following along…

2 Likes

The good news is, my direct boss just officially approved the vacation in the HR system (and we’ve had multiple discussions about it and he says I have more than earned this) and I was nervous that the relatively new VP wasn’t aware I was leaving at a critical time, but I talked to him this morning and he told me that I have been working 7 days a week for over 2 months and I absolutely need a break and will come back refreshed for the final push. We’ll be boarding the plane this time in 2 days!

9 Likes

…and, just because what I need right now is more drama…my nephew failed math and has a choice of summer school or doubling up on math next year and I’m waiting on the response from my sister on whether or not he will be going at all. I included my nephew because my son was such a pill last trip that I thought he’d benefit from another kid on the trip. Ugh…

3 Likes

HRH is our favourite too. I’m sorry you have been having such a tough time at work! Hope this trip is fabulous!

2 Likes

Sister agreed to let him go and he will double up on math next year! One more issue down!

3 Likes

Ugh, club level just popped at HRH. Would 2 teenage boys eat enough food to make it worth the additional cost?

1 Like

Only if it replaces 2+ meals/day elsewhere. Its probably not great feeling obligated to make it worthwhile though when you were set on hitting up certain restaurants.

I think club level at RP is usually a smaller upgrade.

2 Likes

See, I needed someone to tell me this! I was twisting myself around trying to make it worth it and I think you’re right. I would probably just be breakfast, afternoon and evening snacks and drinks.

1 Like

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds like you need and definitely deserve a break!

1 Like

Ok, out of office is set, packing is complete, dog walkers are booked and paid and we have checked in for both the flight and hotel. These 2 will be beside themselves for 6 days, but it’s happening….

12 Likes

Flight delayed for 55 minutes as of now…but I’m not at work!

11 Likes

Yay! Safe travels!

1 Like

We have checked in at the Hard Rock and are taking it easy this evening. We got DN his AP, grabbed some dinner at Emack & Bolio’s and are going to settle in, play some cards and watch the Celtics game.

I have been arguing with DS about shoes for over a month now. He wants to wear ‘cool’ shoes but his leg braces don’t fit in the ones he considers ‘cool’. So I relented and told him he could wear his choice of shoes on the plane and to restaurants, but the braces shoes must be worn in the parks. We arrived at MCO, made it to baggage claim and as I come out of the restroom, DS tells me he fell and I look and he has 2 skinned knees. We have started off with bang!

9 Likes

You’ve arrived! Yay! Hope the knees aren’t too badly skinned. :grimacing: Maybe someone will listen to mom now. We can always hope!

3 Likes

He’s definitely had worse! He’ll survive :slightly_smiling_face:

And I highly doubt this will be the moment he starts listening to mom!

2 Likes

In case anyone was wondering about a rollaway at the Hard Rock - it fits right by the window and DS says it’s comfortable.

13 Likes

Late start with teens. At US today, got here around 9:30, went to get our assistance pass (brought the card from last time, handed it to guest services and they didn’t ask any questions, just filled out a new card and we were on our way.

Boys wanted MIB first (walk on, nephew won because DS helped him), then Simpsons (also walk on) and now at Transformers.

Nephew isn’t big rollercoaster fan but swears he’ll do Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s….we’ll see

10 Likes

Finished Transformers, checked out the tribute store, got our photo pass card and now having lunch at Hard Rock….I hate when kids turn into the age when they are anti photos….

11 Likes