Nemo or Lion King at AK?

I guess we were unlucky.

1 Like

Too bad you didnā€™t know. You could have demanded both refunds and upgrades :wink:

1 Like

You must have been - every time Iā€™ve been itā€™s been cooled to the point of refrigerationā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll joint @profmatt on the ā€œunluckyā€ side re: A/C in Nemo ā€“ I kept waiting for that sweet show A/C chill to kick in, and no luck . . . just what felt like a thousand people slowing sweating together in a dark theater.

And @staceyrose55 for me thereā€™s no question between the two ā€“ the Nemo show is great, but FotLK is AMAZING. Nemo is really just a broadway-style musical, scaled down. FotLK, for me, has a jaw-dropping, ā€œwow-factorā€ with the Tumble Monkeys, the fire dancing, etc., that Nemo just canā€™t match.

As to the substance of the question, which I didnā€™t really address in my unhelpful original post, I found the Nemo show to be underwhelming and somewhat traumatising. I was unfamiliar with the plot but the idea of having a son and then losing him strikes me as about as horrifying an event as can befall a person.

Lion King was wholly upbeat, although the compulsory audience participation had me rolling my eyes. Itā€™s a much bigger, more impressive production.

I must have liked it a bit because I took a photo. I didnā€™t take a photo at Nemo ā€” I was too busy swaddling myself in my cooling towel and trying not to cry at a story which is basically about a young child being kidnapped.

4 Likes

The Nemo show makes me cry every time for exactly this reason. Although . . . Lion King (the movie, not FotLK itself) does have a father literally getting murdered right in front of his son, which youā€™d think would be even worse for you @profmatt.

Iā€™ve not seen the movie. I have seen the stage play ā€” on both Broadway and in the West End ā€” but I donā€™t remember being traumatised by it.

1 Like

I think the show is really designed for people who have seen the movie (which I am surprised to hear you havenā€™t). The film is filled with humor, and as itā€™s pretty much a ā€œgivenā€ that they will be reunited at the end, I never found it to be terribly traumatizing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve confessed elsewhere that Iā€™ve seen very few Disney movies. Iā€™m not really into cartoons.

:woman_facepalming:t2:SMH

Must fix this before 8 days from now

4 Likes

Iā€™ve half-heartedly committed myself to watching The Incredibles and Fast & Furious 7 before I leave for Orlando.

This afternoon I watched Speed which is neither of those movies. It made me cry a bit. Iā€™d forgotten just how much I love Keanu Reeves. And how much better films were in the olden days.

1 Like

Honestly I would drop something else before dropping one of them. Of course Iā€™m a theatre geek, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

1 Like

Oh! Lion King the movie came out when my son was little. We had it on VHS and we watched it every day. It made me cry everyday, but I love that movie.

I enjoy both, but definitely prefer Lion King!

1 Like

Thanks for all of the helpful comments! Iā€™m showing them to DH and weā€™ll decide, but I do confess to be leaning towards FOTLK now.

1 Like

I love the movie The Lion King and the music from it, so FoTLK was a must do, and it didnā€™t disappoint. It was amazing. Goosebumps and watery eyes. My kids were more familiar with Nemo, but I didnā€™t give them the option. :slight_smile: For what itā€™s worth, they enjoyed FoTLK. It does have acrobats and signing and dancing, so even if you donā€™t know the music, I imagine itā€™s still enjoyable.

I have not seen Nemo, so I canā€™t compare the two. I plan to see both in November. I canā€™t imagine going to AK again ever and not seeing FoTLK though.

1 Like

FOTLK is better than Nemo, although as stated, both are well done. They have very different feels to them, however.

But if I could only choose one, FOTLK would win, hands down.

1 Like

ā€œSpeedā€ is ā€œthe olden daysā€? Wow. Iā€™m older than I thought!

ā€œSpeedā€ was, of course, a genre-defining movie. It was essentially the start of the non-stop action, who really cares about plot style movies that have become a mainstay of movie-going today. As such, we decided to introduce our kids to the movie as a kind of history lesson in the genre.

My kids basically mocked the movie, as well as my wife and I for liking it. My DS17 said it was so formulaic it was ridiculous. I, of course, had to point out that it was the movie that CREATED the formula that others followed, so the fact that you see it as formulaic is kind of the point. It WASNā€™T formulaic at the time. Everything that followed it was formulaic to Speed. But, alas, there was no convincing them. Our reputation in movie opinion was forever tarnished for my kids. Now they think they know so much more about movies that it sometimes infuriates me!

3 Likes

My DS studied film production at uni, heā€™s impossible to watch a film with!

uggg - my son is the WORST - he has no appreciation of movies that I love and he has no problem explain to me why they are so bad - and mocking me for liking them.
ā€˜Millennialsā€™ LOL