Need help

Same in GA. Although I believe the routing in GA is through the Department of Children and Family Services. They investigate and then make a recommendation to the juvenile court if necessary. While the potential for a neglect charge based upon intentionally failing to send your child to school exists here, it is a misdemeanor and I can’t imagine a DA actually pressing such a charge absent the kinds of circumstances those laws are actually intended to deal with. (i.e. actual neglect and not families taking extended Disney World vacations).

As a former educator, I understand the difficulties having a kid miss school does. That being said, if it is a child who is going to miss a couple of days in a school year and it only happens every few years, I’m in the camp that the vacation is probably more important than the few days of 3rd grade (or 6th, or 11th) that the child will miss. All of that being said, I always appreciated when the parents recognized that it DOES have an effect on the class and the teacher and are respectful of that.

2 Likes

So I just got back and after having thought about it, we are going to take them out the Friday before Thanksgiving week. We will have all of Thanksgiving week so we will start on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We will go until Friday and leave on Saturday. That will give us 7 park days. We can fit in a MVMCP in there and that would allow us to do 1 less day in MK. So I’m thinking 3 days in MK (plus 1 MVMCP) 2 days in HS (with TSL being new), 1 day in AK (Pandora and rivers of light will be new to us) and 1 day in EP. We might use the first part of the day of the MVMCP to go to either EP or AK. I’m thinking EP, but we will see.