Need fun ideas for check in surprise

Family was in Disney March 2020 when it closed. DD8 & DD10 went to sleep thinking they were headed to HS to make their droids and instead we had to run to the airport to fly home. Needless to say it was pretty traumatic for them. Anyway, we have flight credits and park tickets to use up so we booked their Disney home - AKL and we are going in January to celebrate their vaccination, their birthdays and symbolically close this chapter.

They don’t know we are going. We are going to wake them up for school and instead of driving to school head to the airport. I’d like to have a check in surprise waiting for them. I’m planning on calling CS and seeing if I could have a sign made for the door something like “We missed you! Happy Birthday!”. Anyone have any other fun ideas? I saw the options for things to go to the rooms, but they are either too big or all candy/treats. Maybe someone can grab a wood carving from the gift shop & some zebra cakes?

4 Likes

Send an email to this address: WDW.GM.AnimalKingdomLodge@disney.com and pose your question to the staff at the AnimalKingdomLodge. I’ve sent multiple emails to them and have always received a response.

1 Like

You can do a goodie bag for each when you arrive in your room.

In the past our goodie bags have included glow in the dark sticks and stuff, pins to trade, a special shirt. Your goodie bags might include 2 small Disney back packs with lip gloss, sunscreen, hair brush, visor/cap, maybe a birthday shirt.

You could include some window clings and/or some light strings for your daughters to decorate your room’s windows. Lots of fun to walk by at night: look - there’s our room!

Also be sure to get birthday pins when you check in.

1 Like

Thank you!

Awesome ideas! They would love a goodie bag and a personalized T-shirt! Thanks!

1 Like

If it were me, I would want to do something on the way to the airport. Like, I’d play this on the radio in the car:

Under the driver and passenger seats, I would put google bags with shirts and fun Disney stuff: hat, glow necklaces, the magic bands, etc. After listening to the message, I’d drop the news, and have them get their goodie bags!

4 Likes

Maybe add a Disney activity book, or some activity for on the plane, if you do goodie bags before check in.

1 Like

I think this is the plan: I am going to get them up for “school”, make sure they are dressed and ready before they get downstairs. Then at each of their places at the kitchen table have an animal print present waiting. They will have some clues as to a special present (the trip). Binoculars, sunscreen, maybe some animal print pj’s. Then see if they can guess what it is. Once they guess, I’m going to tell them to pack their backpacks with things they want for the plane because we are leaving in however many minutes. I know they will want to pack their backpack with their books and sketchbooks. Oh! And I’m hoping to have a little something ready at AKL when we get there. I emailed them so fingers cross!!!

4 Likes

This sounds so fun!! A disney trip is the best surprise ever!!

1 Like