NDR: My TV popped, sparked, and died

Sorry I know this isn’t really Disney related, but it’s how I watch my Disney+!

I have never had this happen before and I am kinda scared. I unplugged everything and it doesn’t seem to be warm or on fire, but… what do I do? Throw it out?

:flushed:

1 Like

You’ve blown something. This happened with the graphics card in my sons PC when I turned it on. It’s probably okay at this point safety wise but yes you’ll have to get it repaired or buy a new one.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like a blown capacitor or something else on the power supply board. I’d guess up to a couple hundred to repair at a place like Best Buy (unless you bought a warranty or protection plan, depending on how old it is) if not replacing altogether. Glad you’re ok and avoided a fire.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Me too! I just ordered another tcl, but now I’m second guessing after googling and seeing that problem a few times on other boards.

This.

Someone busted a cap

2 Likes

Other thing to worry about, if someone digs it out of the trash will they be able to use all my accounts I’m logged into on it?

I’m guessing you change your log in info?

I don’t know where/how TVs are too be disposed of but they’re probably considered hazardous.

We generally have Samsung TVs. One large one quit one year. TV repair guy said he only repaired Samsung because their parts were easily gotten. I think ours needed a power supply which he wound up replacing with one from his supply of too costly to fix TVs.

1 Like

Like a … flux capacitor???

3 Likes

Precisely, Marty.

2 Likes

I am an electrical engineer. I can tell you that the supply chain is so messed up right now that any repair shop will probably not even be able to find the correct PCBA to fix the issue. Google electronic recycling in your area and take the TV there. Our recycling center here in KY is free. All major electronics are designed in such a way to be recycled. If it is recycled properly the PCBA’s will be crushed and that is where your data is stored.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for that info. That’s good to know about the board. I am going to take it to the county recycling center near me just as soon as my neighbor can help me carry it out to the car. They may be flat, but they are still quite heavy.

1 Like

I feel your pain!!

I’m having to use my tax refund (part of it anyway) on a new smart TV - when it gets here. I was cleaning and purging over the weekend and I guess I closed a dresser drawer just so and my TV tipped over and crashed. The LCD display was SHOT. :frowning:

The only thing keeping me sane with “background noise” is I had not yet gotten rid of my other one so I’m using it for antenna tv or DVDs/BluRays.

2 Likes

That stinks. I watched TV through an app on my phone today when I wasn’t busy. Luckily I was able to buy a new TV in stock today. Hauling all this ish and lugging it up and down stairs and stuff is such an exhausting chore, but gotta do it. Hopefully our new TV will live longer, happier lives.

1 Like

Amen!!

I will end up getting a Lyft or Uber back home because I am NOT chancing it on the subway coming home after getting it. For multiple reasons.

3 Likes

I will say I do kinda feel like a boss b@%#$ after getting this all done and set up virtually all on my own. I probably could get the big TV downstairs by myself, but I really don’t want to clean it up if it goes (literally) off the rails.

2 Likes

Yeah. Previously I would have been ok with it,!but with a lot of attacks on platforms lately - sadly more than one being a fatal above in front of an oncoming train - I will not chance carrying a tv with me.

Heck, I rarely get my phone out if I can help it anymore and often just have my metro card in my pocket so I am not dealing with getting my wallet out.

And ALWAYS have my back against a wall or a mid-platform sign.

1 Like

Those attacks are horrifying. That always freaked me out when I’d visit the city.

1 Like

Best advice besides stay aware or your surroundings (figure out your train and direction and stop before getting in the station so you’re not buried in a map or an app) is keep your back against something. Makes it a lot harder for someone to push you if they have to move you off an object first.

And be aware of those around you without being paranoid about it - if you just stay aware you can often avoid issues. If you hear an altercation or someone yelling, don’t look. If they happen to catch you looking, there are some who will then come after you. And stay closer to groups, or move closer to them if you feel weird vibes from someone around you. Just make the move casually. Like the other night after handbells, I was waiting on an arriving train. There were a couple of men right towards the end of the platform where I’d usually wait as I prefer to be in the first car for my transfer stop. I didn’t go as far down as I normally would. Then one of them began just walking around - NOT threatening - up towards the edge to look down the track for the train and he said to himself (I think…but maybe to the other guy) but enough I could hear him something like “I’ve never seen anyone on the tracks…” - at least that’s what I heard. He didn’t sound threatening, but I just casually moved further down the platform towards more people, calmly acting like I saw someone I knew. Absolutely no issues at all. He may have meant absolutely nothing by it other than a random musing, but I figured better safe than sorry.

1 Like