Na'vi river animatronic taken out

It’s so weird to see these pictures because I could have sworn he was white. But then, I have ridden Matterhorn far more times than EE and the DL Yeti is definitely white.

Does the EE Yeti appear in the Imagineering Story or a behind-the-scenes video? I vaguely remember something like that.

For those who have never seen the original effects, here’s is about as good a video as you’ll see.

Here’s a video that shows the Yeti a bit better. Although the whole video is kind of interesting, the EE portion starts at 8:30

3 Likes

We’re big fans of the Disco Yeti.

You’re being generous. Probably 1 to 2 seconds at most. It is a blink and you’ll miss it effect. Of course, originally it wasn’t “hidden” behind disco lights, which made the effect seem longer.

Thanks for posting! The Yesterworld video has the BTS footage I was remembering. It also clearly shows that the Yeti is brown originally, and that later it appears to have darkened (maybe due to normal wear and dirt?).

If it was originally brown, does that mean it is actually Sasquatch? Or the thing from Harry and the Hendersons?

2 Likes

Looks about right. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Of course you are.

2 Likes

I accept all that. But didn’t it originally cost $100m?

That seems an awful lot for a ride that is now missing a really quite important original feature.

1 Like

Sunk costs won’t justify spending more. The bean counters will never accept that argument.

1 Like

TP Instagram story had a video of the Na’vi animatronic in action today, so apparently it was placed back in service at some point.

To the best of my knowledge, it still “works”, but it can’t be used regularly for fear of structural damage.

1 Like

Not sure if you were responding to me but just realized I didn’t specify I was talking about the Na’vi animatronic being back in service, not the Yeti. Fixed it.