Name and gender change on MDE

Has anyone had the experience of changing a name and gender marker on MDE? My 23 year old daughter has come out as transgender since our last visit, and I’m wondering if we can make the changes or if I need to have her make a new MDE account.

13 Likes

I don’t know the answer to your question, but following this post for my non gender conforming child.

3 Likes

I have reached out to someone who may be able to help. Sit tight.

6 Likes

Hello!

I happen to be an openly trans gal who had to do this for myself a few years back.

She absolutely can change her name in her settings on MDE, and I don’t recall that it captures a gender marker.

It’s been a couple years, but I remember it being entirely a non-issue. Let me take a few minutes to open my app to give you exact steps.

14 Likes

Ok, I’m using the Walt Disney World app, so if you’re on desktop your steps may vary slightly.

All of this assumes that the individual is 13+ and manages their own MDE account. (For both @BeckyT13 and @ninjasherrie)

1. In the bar at the bottom, choose the 3-lines menu.

2. Scroll down and choose “My Profile”.

3. Choose “account settings”

4. Update the name and honorific as desired.

5. Scroll to the bottom and choose “done”.

That’s it!

16 Likes

If it’s someone on your friends and family list who doesn’t have their own MDE account, you can go into their info on your Friends and Family list and do the same.

5 Likes

Thanks for helping! :smiley:

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much!!:heart::heart:

2 Likes

I sure appreciate the step-by-step. I know it sounds simple, I but I super didn’t have the energy to figure it out. I’m 3 weeks out from my father passing away, and planning this trip for March is helpful, but even the little bumps seem super overwhelming.

8 Likes

So sorry for your loss but it’s great you asked here!

One question generally provides answers for others as well.

If you have other bumps be sure to check back here again.

2 Likes

I have no idea but thank you so much for asking. When I saw my child’s birth name listed on MDE I felt so sad. I am so glad to know I can change their name!

5 Likes

One of my children changed their name, and identifies as non-binary now. They had no issues making the name change in MDE, though I’m unsure if there is a non-binary gender option.

1 Like

It looks like Disney has recently changed the software so Mx. is now available instead of Mr/Ms, etc. I was able to change my kiddo’s profile in MDE just now from my MDE account (they haven’t used their own account.)

For our last trip, I had offered to book our teen as “Dr.” but that didn’t appeal to them, so this is a big game changer :grinning:.

ETA: Earlier this year, booking a WDW hotel reservation required a title for each guest, even kiddos and Dr was the only non gendered. The first time I was able to register my kid as Mx. they lit up a huge smile and did a happy dance. So glad Disney figured this out.

14 Likes

I love this! I haven’t noticed it myself but I’ll be looking for it. :rainbow_flag:

3 Likes

This is fantastic news that I’m sure will be welcomed by many people.

3 Likes

I noticed this too and I LOVE it!!

3 Likes

This should be easy to do considering the Disney position on even asking specifically about pronouns prior to interacting with anyone professionally. Hopefully you can get it sorted out quickly and easily.

1 Like

This is fantastic news! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes