My Travel Agent will hate me

This alone is a super fantastic perk

3 Likes

I have worked with a TA before for a good deal. The last time I tried it, there ended up not being a good deal and it was a pain in the butt when I got discounts that the TA did not have access to unless I provided it (a pin code). I also had to book my own back up trips when things went to pot with the pandemic because my TA kept saying things would work out. If I hadn’t, those reservations would have been gone by the time she booked them. I didn’t end up using them, as the pandemic raged on, but I would have been upset not to have had them if I could have gone. I also do my own FPs and ADRs. I’m not using one for my trip in November 2021 (hopefully we get to go). I already have tickets that need to be adjusted that the TA won’t deal with. The only thing I would need them for is the rooms, which I already booked myself.

I can certainly see the benefit for some people and I would encourage a friend to use one if they were a newbie and had no inclination of doing research into a trip. I certainly respect TAs, as it can’t be an easy job.

Is your TA a liner?

I believe she is. I didn’t use her because of that though.

What needs adjusting? There are many things that cannot be adjusted over the phone and have to be done by the individual in person.

I think your issues seem to be a combo (Pin code is only associated with a specific person) and maybe not the right TA for you.

I tried to book my first cruise with a liner and I could never get a quote. Finally I went to the liner list and looked for someone that mentioned RCL. That TA has done an amazing job helping me with my cruises (and now is associated with TP).

We have tickets that are part of that extended expiration date (9/2021). The tickets will have to be adjusted to the November 2021 dates we booked. I’m just waiting on my DH to get through his probationary period at his new job and get the official ok on his vacation days before I change the dates.

I know the pin codes are only accessed by the person it is given to. It just would have have been less of a hassle if I had booked the whole trip myself.

Like I said, I’m not against TAs. It’s just not what works for me for a Disney World trip. You asked why someone wouldn’t use one and I explained why I wouldn’t.

1 Like

That sounds like something that she probably can’t help with (vs won’t). Have you asked?

I have have exclusively used the Walt Disney Travel Company since my first trip, with the idea that the entire trip fell under the Disney umbrella and would provide me the best opportunity to get any problems resolved, from end to end.

My October 2019 trip showed that to be a false security and I plan on using a TA for the front end of my next trip.

1 Like

Agents book through WDTC :wink: WDTC contracts with agencies. So it’s always under the umbrella you’re referring to.

I’m not using the TA for this trip, so I wouldn’t ask. It’s something I will deal with when the time comes. My point is, that it’s not going to be helpful to me this trip to have a TA and will be less of a hassle to have the trip I already booked on my own. In the future, if I feel it would be beneficial to use a TA, I will. Otherwise, I’m able to handle the booking.

1 Like

Ah I misunderstood. Sorry!

No problem.

Are there ever deals like this (from OP) for tickets only? Or are the discounts usually for packages (resort & tickets) only?

I actually think the discounts from some of the discounted seller (using the touring plans tool) could save you more than the $50 per ticket? The issue is changing or refunds if something happens.

100%. After reading the details of the buy 4 get 2 park days, it looks like a pretty crummy deal. I used the TP ticket finder tool for my last trip where i booked separately and it was great.

1 Like

This!

Plus while my awesome TA would happily make my ADRs and such, I can still do it on my own.

The best part with her is when a new deal comes out, SHE crunches the numbers and lets me know if what I have is the better deal. If so, she goes ahead and changes it. If not, she lets me know but if an option exists (like my room type is not included but another one is - may be less or a little more) she will say “Your room type isn’t included, but for this I can do this other type of room” and let me choose. I don’t think she has looked at the numbers on the new one yet - I imagine with the park reservation thing it could be trickier as I’d essentially lose the park days I have and have to rebook them, so if it would save me money, it may be a “This will save you, but I want to coordinate it so you can grab your parks again” thing.

2 Likes

I used a TA for my trip in November of 2019, but it was really only for the package deal that I got at the Contemporary. I don’t have anything against TAs, but I love doing everything on my own. For me, that is part of the Disney experience.

Again, the ONLY thing you can’t do on your own when using a travel agent is change your hotel reservation on your own.

ADRs? You can make them.
Park Reservations? You can make them.
FP+ when it’s around? You can make them.
Specialty things like dessert parties when they’re back? You can make them.

Literally the only thing I can’t do on my own is call and change my resort. And it’s not such a big deal - she’s more than willing to make the change, and does it within 24 hours.

2 Likes