My post trip burn out may finally be ending…

Okay so my last trip was a little rough, but I’m starting to fantasize about my next trip. :grimacing:

Has anyone had any experience renting DVC points? I’ve pretty much resigned myself to stay off site in the future, but I’ve never ever really considered renting points before.

1 Like

:raised_hand: :raising_hand_man:

I have rented from David’s multiple times and had a great experience each time. Very straightforward and easy, although you do take on a risk since there’s no refunds.

I have also rented a dedicated reservation from DVC-Rental and it was smooth as silk (I got it right at the 5-day mark before my trip and was able to cancel my existing reservation hold that I no longer needed).

Renting is a fantastic option. So much cheaper than cash rooms. The only thing that beats it is buying points. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But it’s a good test drive to see if buying is right with you without all the risk and huge cash outlay of ownership.

1 Like

Renter turned owner here. My experience was pre pandemic and great. You really should be dedicated to the trip as there is no turning back. I needed to add a day and ended up having to change rooms. So modifications are hard.

The 2nd best option, if you have to stay offsite, is to stalk the Swan and Dolphin. I book and then check back for discounts then modify my reservation. Deluxe benefits and location at a mod price.

3 Likes

You just have to be okay with the fact that, if something happens, you are most likely out that money. (Happened to me twice.) I understood that going in, though. Those are the breaks. Still would do it again. (Note on Swan and Dolphin - was at the Reserve this week, our backup. It was NOT quite like a Deluxe - we had trouble keeping our reservation properly linked, and that cost me in both early dining reservations and getting Lightning Lanes in the morning. Disney said it was because it was Swan/Dolphin/Reserve, not “really” a Disney resort. Also, the MK bus drops you off at the transportation center, not the park, which is a pain. Might be totally worth it to you - just something to be aware of.)

2 Likes

Crucial cavest for sure! The linking problem seems to be a huge one. Really not okay!

And the resort itself is more like mod, but with Deluxe dining and Deluxe location.

I would hop on a Yacht Club bus to MK!

2 Likes

I’ve got an eye on S&D for sure! My wife just started her career as a teacher and they offer discounts for educators.

2 Likes

As soon as I make a decision to go and make my deposit I’m all in, I’ve never been concerned about refunds.

What’s the difference between renting points and renting a dedicated reservation?

1 Like

Very similar, except that with the dedicated reservation, you’re usually close to the time of your trip and so you are subject to the whims of whatever someone had booked at the 7 or 11 month mark (usually they are trying to offload a reservation that is too close to the date for them to cancel), which may or may not be what you want (though there are dozens of listings at any given time, so if you keep your eyes peeled you will likely find something close to what you really want), and also sometimes you can get a discounted price, particularly on expensive room types or long stays.

For renting points, you are usually booking at least 7 months out (11 is better), asking for a specific resort and room type, subject to availability of that room type as well as someone with the points to rent. There are some room types that it is virtually impossible to rent (e.g., Value at AK).

1 Like

Here’s the Dedicated Reservations page.

Just as an example, here’s a few listings. If you booked these, you couldn’t change anything about the reservation, you’d just have to accept it as it is. As you can see, the SSR reservation is listed at a reduced price. You’re saving $1,344 off what it would cost you if you just did a regular point rental through David’s. That’s a 21% savings. :dollar:

2 Likes

Yep. We lost our DVC rental money on Aulani in 2020. But I’d still rent points (and have!) we were certain we were going on that trip but Covid had other plans.

Well, that’s a good idea I didn’t think of! It just caught us by surprise.

1 Like

It would have caught me by surprise too. A different group I belong too is all about the hacks and the deals so there is a lot of Swan amd Dolohin love there - and advice about avoiding the TTC!

1 Like

That’s great information, thank you so much!

Seems like if you’re really trying to plan a trip, renting points is the way to go. But I could definitely see where it would be fun if an attractive reservation popped up to make a last minute trip down!

1 Like

I’ve done it both ways. Last min grab something and preplanned and I’m hooked. You can get deluxe for moderate prices.

2 Likes

My wife and I dream of staying at AKL, we’re not really deluxe budget people so this is probably the most practical way for us when we’re ready to do that.

3 Likes

Do it! I love that place. Pure magic.

3 Likes

We’ve rented from David’s multiple times, and I think we used DVC Rental Store once for a last-minute trip. The only other advice I’d give is that depending on the time of year and the resort you want to stay at, you may need to put your request in early (11 months in advance). And given that DVC is filling up more quickly than normal right now, you might need to do that anyway, even if you’re not traveling at a busy time of the year. It’s always possible that you can snag a last-minute dedicated reservation, but you often have to be a bit flexible with your travel dates, resort, and/or room type to use those.

2 Likes

Just realized Jeff already said most of that. Apparently, I did not have enough coffee this morning!

2 Likes

This article may be of interest:

1 Like