My Children's Worst Trip to Walt Disney World Ever (A Live Trip Report)

Difficult when he sees lil’ bro still getting the goods. I think when the little one quits it will be easier to get the big one to give it up. Good on you going so long!!!

5 Likes

Agree.
I give major credit to women who can keep nursing that long.
I HATED it. Refused to do it with my first, got guilted into trying with both kid 2 and 3. Kid #3 made it the longest - 2 months, lol.
I think it’s a great, natural thing… But it just isn’t for me.

5 Likes

Oh I loved it. I hated pumping, but nursing I loved. With my daughter, my first, my supply disappeared quite suddenly when she was around 6 months which broke my heart. My son, OTOH, nursed every 90 minutes for the first 14 months of his life. I quit when he bit me. I had a tremendous supply with him and donated over 500oz to a milk bank!!

10 Likes

That is incredible!!! My best friend lost her daughter at 37 weeks gestation. When her milk came in she pumped for as long as her supply held up and donated it all. I feel like breastmilk donation is such an under-advertised thing but SO amazing and helpful to so many babies.

I nursed all four of mine. The cycle went nurse for 13-14 months and then get pregnant. Repeat until your husband agrees to get a vasectomy. :joy:

12 Likes

My niece adopted a premie and used a lot of donated milk. A couple of years later, she carried twins (embryo adoption) and not only nursed both of them but also donated a lot of milk. I’m not sure if it went to a bank or to a someone she knew. It’s a loving thing to do!

5 Likes

Working on the OB unit and having frequent contact with the NICU, I was aware even then how important donation was. Now they use donor milk on the floor for even healthy babies; studies have shown that formula can irreparably alter the gut flora and put the baby at risk for health issues later in life. Formula is almost never used on the floor where I worked, except by parental request, for supplementation anymore.

8 Likes

i’m definitely open to ideas! i’ve been in LLL since my oldest was born, but with in-person meetings cancelled due to COVID, it’s been really hard! Zoom meetings are pretty much at the same time i start putting DS2 down for his nap. So i haven’t had a chance to talk with them about weaning yet. I tried to set boundaries around certain times- morning, nap, and before bed, and it works for a few days, but then when DS2 is lying there weeping, asking for milk outside of one of those times, my resolve absolutely crumbles, and i feel like we have to start all over again. I like the idea of having that boundary, but we also need it to be flexible sometimes- and will he really “get it” at his age, if it’s flexible some of the times and not others? i’m really not sure.

3 Likes

DS2 fell asleep immediately! For bedtime last night, and nap today. We didn’t have to fight it at all. Hooray! I love snow and am happy to be home, as long as it’s snowing! which… it isn’t right now, so i’d rather be in FL

4 Likes

Thank you! That is so kind of you to say. It really did push us to work together and look out for one another (giving each other time when we needed time). I think it brought us closer together and taught us a lot about traveling as a family in the future!

I’m not entirely convinced that we have any sanity left at the moment, but i’m confident it will return in short order :slight_smile:

100% agree! I’m already looking forward to it! Though I won’t breathe word of it to DH for a few years. He would shoot it down for sure :smile:

4 Likes

Setting boundaries means being willing to enforce them. So you have to decide which is more important, weaning or avoiding his unhappiness.

I know it’s hard, I don’t mean to minimize, but some kids don’t self-wean, so you have to decide your boundaries as a parent. Nursing should continue as long as both mother and baby want it to continue. It is absolutely ok to be done with it. 2yos learn to deal with disappointment, this may be one of the harder ways for you to watch him learn it. Can you leave? Go for a walk?

It’s definitely easier if you set a clear boundary, because “you cried for 10 minutes, so I caved” just teaches him that he needs to cry longer and he’ll get what he wants. But if you are consistent with language and behavior (start by eliminating the nursing session he’s least attached to), he’ll get it. Then dropping the next session is easier, because he’s heard the language and modified his behavior before.

It’s your body, you get to decide.

6 Likes

That’s amazing. What an incredible gift to others, and to think of others, in an ultimate low point in her own personal life

hilarious!

4 Likes

Sunday summary:

Children actually slept! Well, my DS1 alarm went off at 5:30 AM as usual, but amazingly, he went back to sleep after a feeding, and DS2 slept through him waking up and crying. DS2 probably slept in because I was up with him at 3 AM nursing him after he woke up whimpering- bad dream or something. Either way, i’m thankful. We all woke up around 7:30 AM and started packing!

I requested late check out, but they only had it available until 12:30, which wouldn’t do us much good, so we passed on it. We finished packing and called bell services to take our luggage down around 10:15.

The goal was to leave at 10:15 for our 10:55 reservation at Topolino’s Terrace, but we didn’t make it out until 10:23, and we got there right on time! We had to wait about 10 minutes for our table, so we probably got seated around 11:05. DS2 was so excited to ride the Skyliner again. The Riviera was beautiful! I love the hidden mickeys in the fencing. The view from TT was amazing, and the FOOD! oh my gosh. The value was incredible, even if the characters weren’t a part of it. We ordered four entrees, a plate of bacon, and some extra croissants. We were all served delicious guava juice and pastries to start. I ordered a bloody mary and DH ordered some NA pomegranate mint thing. Our server was enthusiastic and attentive. It was our last meal so we got to leave an extra big tip with our leftover money (thank you, Disney, for the extra $250 from cancelled dining reservations). The quiche was incredible, the fruit plate was good, I didn’t get to try the waffle- but it looked good, and the wild mushroom omelette didn’t have enough mushrooms in it. We were offered Mickey waffles or anything from the kids menu for the children, which we declined, but it was so nice to be offered!

Btw, what do they put in Mickey waffles that make them taste so dang good? oh my goodness. We loved having them just about every morning. It was so nice to not have to cook for the week. We took too many snacks again, but it was good to have them when we wanted them.

After Topolino’s we had about an hour and a half before our Tragical Express time. It was time to walk the kids around for their stroller nap. DH took the lead on this one because I wanted to go try out SAB! When all is said and done, i had about a half hour, so I got into my suit, went down the Flying Jib slide (awesome!), got dressed into my regular clothes, through my wet suit into a wet bag, and called it a day! lol. I was able to check it off my list.

There was zero social distancing on the Tragical Express. On the way there, they had someone carefully assigning seats and separating parties with empty rows between them. On the way back to the airport, there was no such system. And there wasn’t room on the bus for spacing even if we wanted to move. I guess at this point, once you’re on your way out, they just don’t care? It’s fine. We were also at the “don’t care” point. DS2 was DONE DONE DONE with his mask (a trip just a few days shorter probably would have been better for all of us) and we were done done done fighting with him, so although he wore his mask on the bus, he didn’t wear it when he was sleeping as we were walking around the boardwalk and he didn’t wear it at the airport. That sweet boy was such a trooper. I couldn’t believe how well he did. Going on day 10, I don’t blame him at all for being over it. I blame us for planning such a long trip! I didn’t think it would be as big of a drain as it was to have a mask on for that long when I planned it.

The airplane ride was easier on the way home than it was on the way there. I got to finish watching Downton Abbey. DS2 held it together until about 20 minutes before landing. And DS1 was fine once he finally took a nap in my arms.

We landed at 7:20 and it took us almost 2 hours to get home! DS2 literally had us chasing him around the luggage carousels. And then we wanted to do final diaper changes in case they fell asleep on the drive home (haha, yeah right), but then DS1 pooped right after I changed him, so I had to change him again. Thankfully we had another fantastic shuttle driver to our car parking lot. It was like he was waiting for us, and we had the bus all to ourselves, and he was listening to some really great tunes, so we ended on a high note. lol. Clear roads home. And here we are. My living room is a total mess from incomplete unpacking. But we’re taking it easy today

11 Likes

thank you for the ideas!

1 Like

This: https://www.goldenmalted.com/ We use this at home with our Mickey waffle iron. :slight_smile: Nearly as good as being there.

That’s really, really lousy. Very bad show.

SWOON!

6 Likes

That’s the second report I’ve heard about the return ME buses not social distancing. We might be ubering back to the airport in that case.

4 Likes

Thank you!! My hero!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

1 Like

It’s so weird. You wouldn’t think it’s that hard. I mean, they have a darn good estimate of how many people and groups are going to be on each bus- they send us depressing letters ahead of time! If they wanted to, they could send out the correct amount of buses to accommodate everyone taking the ME to the airport

4 Likes

Christmas tree at beach club, as we went to buy our final souvenirs

Drinks at Topolino’s breakfast

The boys watching the characters

Checking out the terrace! Look at that Mickey in the iron :heart:

My last Disney photos

15 Likes

Your hubby is a Dunder Mifflin man.

I like that.

3 Likes