My Big Fat Disney Trip! WDW/UOR/beach family reunion trip report

Friday, May 27 and Saturday, May 28

We left Detroit at 11:30 am, an hour delay. We had a reroute to avoid weather that tacked on another 45 minutes, so arrived at 3 pm. Bags were already pulled off the belt for us, we grabbed our rental car in the garage, and we were off. Got to our first night hotel (Comfort Suites Universal Area) and grabbed a little something from Wendy’s next door. Our family traveling from Omaha had a longer delay, so we went to Walmart to grab snacks. Still delayed, so went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. At 11:30 pm our family finally arrived at the hotel. We gave hugs, helped with luggage, and went to bed. The decision was made at that time not to use the early morning hour at Universal the next day.

The next morning we got up and ate the hotel breakfast before packing up and moving to Royal Pacific Resort. We parked, checked bags and got keys before walking to the parks. We started in Universal Studios, older kids and brave adults doing Rip Ride Rockit and younger kids and non-thrill-seekers doing Minions. Met up again and walked to Diagon Alley, where we looked around and did Gringotts, had a butter beer, kids did some spells. We split up, some doing ET and the playground, some Fast and Furious and Transformers. Met up agin in Springfield, did the Twirl n Hurl and the Simpsons, then headed back to the Hogwarts Express. Once we got to Islands of Adventure, we did Kong and had the room ready texts so headed back for a rest and a swim for some. We had reservations for Cowfish so went there for dinner, it wasn’t great with a big group and our server was downright abusive to the trainee, but the food was fine. Just a core group of 5 of us headed back to IOA after dinner, this is a group that will stick together a lot so if I say core 5 you’ll know who that is: myself, hubby, DS 19, DNiece 17, and DNiece 16. The 3 kids did Hulk, then we all did Velocicoaster and then tried Hagrid’s, but it went down while we were inside. They gave us a recovery pass for the next day. We walked home and went to bed with plans for an early start and using the extra hour.

6 Likes

Sunday, May 29

The core 5 plus Mimi and Papa were up and at the IOA turnstiles by 7:30. We did Velocicoaster again and then headed back to Hogsmeade. Did Forbidden Journey and Hippogriff and then had breakfast at the 3 Broomsticks. Core 5 used recovery pass for Hagrid’s while Mimi and Papa met the rest of the group. Met up with everyone in Jurassic Park, where lots rode the JP River Adventure, others did Velocicoaster, DSIL and DNiece 7 did the flyers, and DNiece 4 played on the playground. Core 5 plus 2 went to try to ride Hagrid’s as singles but spent 90 minutes waiting in the blazing sun with no real movement so gave up. We were pretty hot and tired and some people were really hungry, so we decided to leave and head to Bay Lake Tower. Some folks stopped for food on the way, and I was supposed to pick up a Walmart order at 4 pm but the order was delayed. We checked in at Bay Lake and they did an ok job with our request, I asked for us to be close as priority #1 and the 2br and one studio are right next door but the other studio is down a level and on the other side of the lobby.

Once we got settled, the Walmart order was ready, so poor DH had to go back out to get that. We baked deli pizzas and did Caesar salads for dinner for the whole group in the 2br unit. At dinner, we gave Mimi and Papa a thank you card from all of us, and told them we had purchased both Memory Maker and the Capture the Moment for them, and Mimi teared up. We made plans for Hollywood Studios in the morning and went to bed.

5 Likes

Monday, May 30

We met up at Hollywood Studios at 7:30 and got through the tapstiles before 7:45. Littles went off with dad and mom to MMRR while the rest of us rope dropped SDD and TSMM. As soon as it had a return time, we grabbed a DAS for RotR. Everyone loved it, even DNiece 7. Tried to rider switch but it went down right then, so we used a DAS for Millennium Falcon and then went back to RotR for that switch while everyone explored Batuu. We then went to Muppets, then my group rode SDD again with a DAS advanced selection and then rode ToT on DAS, while other groups saw Indy and the Frozen sing along. At that point we were tired and hungry (12:30 pm?) and went back to Bay Lake for lunch and a swim.

We had reservations for Teppan Edo at 5, so got on the monorail at 4 pm. Grabbed a DAS for Remy as soon as we entered, strolled to Japan, and had a lovely dinner at two side-by-side tables. While we were at dinner, I was able to score a boarding group for Guardians! (Top of the hat to @joelbruick and enough said). Looked around Japan and Morocco on our way to France, rode Remy, grabbed a Frozen DAS and looked around France. I had the orange slush and it is just as good as everyone says! We wandered through World Showcase, rode Frozen, DASed Test Track, rode that, then went on GotG:CR which is ah-maz-ing. So, so good, fun, smooth, exciting. No one felt sick afterwards either. The non riders watched fireworks and loved the new show. Everyone went back home except the core 5. We did Soarin’ and then headed back.

5 Likes

I’m interrupting this trip report to make a side note on DAS. First of all, the kids are referring to it as the GAS pass since we have it for GI reasons. Ah, the joy of traveling with teens. Secondly, DAS is absolutely making this trip for us. We can wait for the next ride while sitting in the shade or using the bathroom. I’ll spare you the details, but I have absolutely needed to be by a restroom many times on this trip. In the past, I would duck out of line and come back embarrassed, and I used and abused the fast pass system to keep me out of really long lines. Now we just stay within shouting distance of a bathroom and we are good. If you have a need, do not be shy about signing up for DAS.

8 Likes

Tuesday, May 31

It was DNiece 7’s birthday, so we had breakfast reservations for all of us at Topolino’s. SSIL and BIL opted out with their 4 kids the night before, so our son stayed behind too and it was 8 of us. We were seated immediately, had oodles of choices for the gluten-free eater, and the most fun server. They did do side portions of second entrees, which I know some people don’t like, but I prefer not wasting food. The interactions were fabulous with autographs, hugs, and wonderful photos!

The 8 of us used Skyliner to get over to Epcot. I had tried to get a boarding group for Guardians, but I messed up and needed to close and reopen my browser and by 07:00:03 all the groups were filled. So, we did Remy again and split off a little since the teenagers were going to meet us in the front of the park. We did Test Track again with them, Mission Space, and then my husband and son and I went to our Space 220 lounge reservation. We all had the Milky Way, and fed my son some chicken and waffles since he missed breakfast. The elevator experience was fun and the windows are cool, and I would definitely do another lounge reservation, but not a prix fixe lunch or dinner. There are just too many wonderful restaurants in Epcot to try!

After lunch we met back up with the nieces and walked around a bit and tried again for Guardians at 1 pm and got a boarding group! We had planned to go to Animal Kingdom that afternoon but changed our plans. We went back to the hotel for a rest and the girls went to the pool. The core 5 were headed back to Epcot for Guardians while the rest of the group went to Disney Springs for dinner and shopping (more celebrations for the birthday girl).

The core 5 grabbed dinner at Contempo Café and then drove to Epcot. Went back to Remy again since we needed some gifts from that area (DS’ gf is a huge Ratatouille fan) and then our BG was called…it turned out they just called all the boarding groups at some point, so the line was all the way back to Connections Café. However, they cleared out the ILL folks pretty quickly and the line started to move well. We got on just a little after park close. Worth the wait, though I did have to leave and rejoin the line once because no DAS.

Guardians is just so stinking FUN. None of us ever felt queasy, and I think the reports of that are overblown; I saw no one getting off looking sick. I’m not minimizing those who do get sick, I’m just saying I think it’s less common than initially reported.

3 Likes

Wednesday, June 1

We managed to get everyone out the door and to Animal Kingdom before the park opened to resort guests, so we rope dropped Dinosaur and Everest before grabbing a DAS for FOP. We had bathroom breaks and then rode FOP, and did Na’vi after that with DAS. Grabbed a coffee while we waited for our DAS for the Safari, rode that, and left the park at about 11 am. We had a long break at the hotel; girls swam and tanned, and I put the lasagnas in the oven. We ate around 5:30 and then walked over to MK. We did the laugh floor and were people being moved, used DAS for 7DMT, rode iasw, used DAS for Haunted Mansion, then the littles went home and we rode Pirates (with DAS) before calling it a night. I was sad about this; it should have been our 2 deluxe hours that night but this was day 5 in parks and people were hitting a wall. Apparently other people need sleep? Weird. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Thursday, June 2

DH was up really early and walked over to MK and rode a few things before lines built up. I joined at about park open, we did Jungle Cruise, then our son joined us, and we got a coffee and met Mickey on DAS before our 11 am Capture Your Moment. Everyone was at the meeting spot on time, and we had a wonderful professional photographer and his fun assistant who had no trouble getting our large group into some beautiful photos.

For those who have been following just to hear about groups and CYM, here is what I was told at check in: the limit of 8 is because there is an assumption that each individual will want some shots and some different groups. Since our goal was at least one good group shot, they were fine with it. Our photographer shot in several locations, starting with the steps to the train platform on Main Street (he then showed us a similar picture of Black Sabbath from the 80s, so we had to do some rock-n-roll shots too) and moving to several places to get the castle in the background. He was a total pro and got some great photos, and insisted on using the full time to get some smaller groups (each family, grandparents and grandkids) and we just love how they turned out. I would highly recommend this service as the photographers are so much more experienced than the usual PhotoPass folks.

After our photo, we used DAS for Space Mountain while the younger kids drove their parents and grandparents crazy on the Speedway. We used DAS on BTMRR and did Pirates again with everyone. We went back to the hotel for a break before heading to HS for the evening, while Mimi and Papa and the littles stayed to do more kid stuff at MK.

Everyone bailed on us for our Oga’s reservation, but we went with just the three of us and the host was kind enough to check in all the reservations and mark them as “walk away” so we wouldn’t get charged. We had a BLAST there, our bartender was hilarious. I asked for the Yub Nub without the souvenir cup, and he asked what I was going to drink it in. I said, “my hands, if I have to.” When he brought the guys’ drinks, he brought a shaker with Yub Nub and told me to put out my hands, and I did, so he proceeded to pour it in my hands! It was a great, only-at-Disney moment. He of course brought me the drink in a cup later, and gave me napkins, a wet cloth, and a sanitizer wipe to clean up. I just love when people will play along!

After Oga’s, we used DAS on Rise again and messed around in Batuu. We used DAS on MMRR while we waited for the rest of the group, and everyone showed for the dinner reservation at 50’s Prime Time. They seated us at three tables in the same room and the server was awesome. Everyone loved their meal, especially Mimi who had the gluten-free fried chicken (that I had pre-ordered). The core 5 plus one ran to RnRC in the rain and used DAS to ride, then used DAS for MMRR and went home.

8 Likes

I love this.

That’s impressive.

3 Likes

This is an absolutely amazing story! I bet the looks y’all got were priceless!

2 Likes

It honestly made my whole trip.

2 Likes

Friday, June 3

The plan was for the 12 from Omaha to drive over to the beach before check-in and spend some time at the beach, but after asking me why the 3 of us were doing another Disney day (Epcot) instead of that, I explained that doing the beach takes some work: find a place to park, hopefully a place to change, figure out what to eat when you’re sandy and buy a towel or if you’re lucky a chair to rent; we don’t have any gear with us because we all flew. At that point, they decided to go to Disney Springs, eat lunch and shop a bit, and head over to the gulf side to be there right at check in time.

At 7 am, my husband and I were both poised to grab Guardians. My husband got the boarding group and I paid the big bucks for the ILL; 2 more rides on Guardians, yes please! We packed up and my husband, son and I headed over to Epcot. We used our BG (1!) on Guardians, then used DAS on Soarin, Remy and Mission Space and then went for our second ride on Guardians. Sadly, our photos didn’t come through on Guardians this time. We finished up at Spaceship Earth and decided since we had to get our cold foods from Bay Lake Tower anyway, we’d grab lunch at Contempo and walk over to MK to do some of our favorites. We rode Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion, and watched the Hall of Presidents, and had a fruit waffle.

We left around 3, grabbed the refrigerated items, and checked in with the family, only to find they were 20 minutes ahead of us! They LOVED Disney Springs and did a lot of shopping! We were so confused about this and then thought about it…we come to the area at least yearly and if we’re not doing parks we will often still come to Disney Springs or eat at a resort, so for us this is no big deal. For them, it’s once in a lifetime! So I’m glad they had time to enjoy that without our judgmental selves around!

They were able to get checked in to our condos OK and were headed to dinner so we detoured to one of our favorite restaurants in the area, where we sat outside and had delicious grouper and cuban sandwiches. We got to the condo and unpacked and saw everyone for a few minutes before going to bed. My husband texted everyone saying, “The beach opens at 8 am but since we’re staying on property, we get in at 7:30 am. If you want to make the most of that extra time, meet in the lobby at 5:30 am.” The adults thought it was hilarious. The nieces did NOT. :joy:

8 Likes

The beauty of DAS is being able to rope-drop Dinosaur. I would prefer that plan no matter what, since FOP always backs up so badly, but I can’t convince my family that it’s a bad use of time to RD FOP. Or at least, I couldn’t before…I think they get it now.

4 Likes

Saturday, June 4

Well, wouldn’t you know it, finally a beach day and it was raining. We took Mimi and Papa out for breakfast and grabbed some necessities at Walmart, and by the time we got back, it was clearing up. Went to the beach, found our rented chairs, and spent several hours just relaxing. Jumped some (baby) waves with the nieces and taught them to boogie board, while DSSIL hunted for shells.

We had a reservation for all 15 of us at a local restaurant, so Mimi and Papa and the 3 of us cleaned up early to check in for that and have a drink at the tiki bar. The rest of the group arrived and we were seated together with a view of the beach, and we had a really nice seafood dinner together. When we got back to the condos, we watched the sunset on the beach and some walked to Candy Kitchen for ice cream and some walked to John’s Pass for shopping (I’m sure you know what group I was in!)

4 Likes

Unless you can be there early and in the first few hundred people. That is not something we can accomplish.

2 Likes

We have tried. We can be 2nd at the tapstile and as they open, the computer needs to be restarted and we are late getting through, or at the rope and the people in front of us are actually just the advance party for an enormous family group, and we end up pushed farther back. We have never RDed FOP with any kind of success, it always eats up a whole morning hour while the rest of the park is empty.

2 Likes

I’m still impressed. I’ve successfully RDed FOP with adult friends but not my family.

2 Likes

I get there early but then can’t “walk” fast enough to secure my place towards the front of the pack. I am now planning to RD Naavi and buy ILL for FOP

2 Likes

That is less stressful. But more expensive.

3 Likes

I’m so glad you had a great photography experience! Hope the pics are what you all hoped for.

2 Likes

Hey, all. I know I’m way behind on this report and I wanted to add pictures, and I promise I will. Right before this trip, I was informed that the job I moved my family 750 miles for would be part-time next year. I had to find something, and quickly. We are moving once again, this time from SE Michigan to NW Indiana (Far north suburbs of Detroit to far south suburbs of Chicago). While this was not my plan, I trust that it will all work out…but I’d covet your prayers if you are praying folks. :slight_smile: When our house is listed and we have a contract on a new one, I promise to come back and finish, including some great pictures!!

7 Likes