Must haves for WDW in summer?

Thanks everyone!

unscented wet wipes!
bonus option. small clear bag with a flannel.
Pour some cold water in to it and have a quick face and head wipe(be careful to replace sun screen after) refresh with new cold water as needed.

for me with a shaved head a HAT is a must and a hat built for hot weather! so not a disney cap! either a smart jogging cap or fishing hat are great.

1 Like

On a recent visit my DH wore a Disney polo… a wicking shirt, and a hat w/ large brim to cover is neck and he said it was an amazing difference. I know you can get these cheaper somewhere else
Mickey Mouse Performance Polo Shirt for Men by Nike – Green Stripe | shopDisney

2 Likes

I’m going solo in August. Everything I’m taking must fit in my mini-backpack. My plan so far (please chip in if it sounds like I’m missing anything):

1. Battery pack charger for my iPhone
  2. SUNSCREEN (Neutrogena makes sunscreen that is a solid and in a dispenser like deoderant - LOVE IT)
  3. Poncho or light rainproof jacket
  4. Shoes (I’m thinking like those Disney-themed Natives or Crocs - basically something super light that I don’t have to worry getting wet)
  5. Travel size brush for dealing with my hair if need be
  6. Not in the backpack, but definitely a hat.
  7. A wet bag so I can throw in wet items like a poncho/jacket and/or shoes and one for security.
  8. A couple of Ziplock bags for security items like my iPhone and phone battery pack.
  9. Sunglasses and case.
3 Likes

I am also a huge fan of the Neutrogena stick sunscreen.

For my solo, this is my plan, for my mini backpack:
-My rain jacket (packable, so small)
-Power bank and cord to charge phone
-Phone (obv)
-Slim wallet with ID, one card, some cash
-Necklace fan
-Cooling towel
-Face sunscreen
-Stick sunscreen
-Water bottle
-Ziploc bag for wet masks
-Extra masks (2?)
-Disposable poncho
-One pair extra socks
-Ibuprofen, meclizine, and Benadryl
-Wipes
-Hand sanitizer
-Toothbrush, toothpaste (I have braces so need to brush every time I eat)
-A couple bandaids, pre-cut moleskin
-Possibly a small microfiber towel I have, if it looks like it might rain. It’s great for drying off places to sit, or for sitting on on the ground. It’s the size of a hand towel and has come in handy several times.
-Maybe a travel umbrella. I know all of this stuff will fit in my mini backpack but I don’t want it to get too heavy either.

Still debating taking an extra pair of shoes

I will be wearing a hat and sunglasses but those are must-haves.

3 Likes

We go in summer every other year. We have been downsizing what we bring every year into the parks. If you bring a backpack, you want the lightest one possible, with a thin, breathable back. With teenagers, they can carry their own stuff.

We don’t bring sunscreen into the parks, but we do use the thick, spray 50+ sunscreen before we leave the hotel.

Ponchos are a must for late summer. If we bring a backpack, we bring nice ones. If we don’t, the disposable small ones are perfect and easy to carry. My favorite reusable is an IKEA poncho. They are not cute but work great.

Battery packs are a must. We bring a serious Anker battery that can charge multiple phones. Don’t forget cables. I forgot a cable once and couldn’t find a place to buy a new one in MK.

I do bring a small sampling of over the counter drugs - Benadryl (I have food allergies and Disney is great but would rather be safe), Advil, and Imodium.

The misting spray fans you can get at Disney are wonderful. They are also hard to carry and heavy. They are also not the most accurate and due to wind or whatever we have sprayed strangers. I will not take them this year as I wouldn’t want to accidentally spray another guest in the middle of this pandemic.

2 Likes

I knew I was forgetting some things!

1. There’s an inexpensive little first aid kit I usually pick up in the travel size toiletries section in Target. It has some bandaids and a few other things. Also travel size tylenol or alleve or the like.

2. Water bottle, though I might just hit up QS for ice water. We’ll see how that goes.

3. Wipes, hand santizer, and extra masks

4. Great idea with the microfiber, quick dry towel!

2 Likes

Does this type of sunscreen melt into a puddle in the Florida summer heat?

With mobile order as the only way to order at QS, how does it work to get ice water? Just walk up and ask, wait in line? I guess I’m trying to figure out how much of a hassle it is compared to carrying a water bottle(s) during post-COVID times. Pre-COVID, it was pretty easy outside of peak dining times.

1 Like
  1. It can (don’t leave it in a hot car in Southern California heat!) but as it will be in a backpack and I won’t be in constant heat I’m pretty sure it will be fine. If not, that’s what the extra Ziplocks are for! But, I’m going to take my mini backpack on some trial runs in 100+ weather here in Southern California before going to see what tweaks I may need to make.

2. Not sure. I will see how it goes. I would prefer not having to carry around a water bottle but it may just be the easiest.

Thanks for the reminder about the stick sunscreen–we had a mishap with stick sunscreen at the beach but it was on a towel in the direct sun so it of course melted. I would think with the shifting between outdoor and indoor attractions, the sunscreen would be ok.

1 Like

I think it’s easiest to grab FREE water from pick up windows that are outside, like Sleepy Hallow, and don’t have a CM guarding an entrance like Cosmic Rays. I bet you can get free water at all the coffee spots too?

3 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the tip! I figured there’d be a way. And, honestly, my real plan is to be snacking/drinking something fairly frequently in the parks anyway so I don’t think it will be a super huge issue for me regardless.

Like, EPCOT has the festival booths with lots of beverages to try. In Future World there’s Sunshine Seasons with the self serve drink stations now open. Not sure what all the options are in the other parks but if it comes down to it I can always get a water from one of the food carts or something.

2 Likes

If you want water, and you don’t have an order at a place like this, you can ask the CM that’s guarding the entrance where the closest location to get a cup of ice water is. They will tell you, typically it’s very close.
If you have mobile order and you don’t want to order a drink, tell the CM when you pick up your order that you’d like X number of cups of water.

4 Likes

We go in august and never take a poncho or rain items. instead we take a change of t-shirt and shorts and just walk around in the rain.

Ponchos are either cheap and make you sweat or bulkier and heavier.
We also if it looks like its certain to rain wear crocs or quick drying shoes.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I grabbed this shirt to give my hubby for father’s day. :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t live without these fans. I buy them as gift for people going to disney. They do go as low as $9-10.

2 Likes

Sweeeeet! the one my DH has is melon colored strips and he wears it to work all the time :wink: It’s really good quality… it should be for that price too :wink: although I got my AP discount in HS at the time

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the tip! Definitely adding to the Anazon cart!

1 Like

Bumping this thread because I’m packing for my trip next week and it looks like it’s gonna be hotter than Satan’s toejam. Do I take my rain jacket or no? I realize it might rain and the one I have is “breathable” but I know it will still feel like walking around in one of those sauna suits.

Poncho?
Rain Jacket?
Umbrella?
Just get wet?

I’m a poncho fan myself. Better ventilation than a fitted rain jacket. Bring a plastic bag for storing when wet.